Profile for Best-ness > Reviews

Content by Best-ness

Best-ness

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
A Second Chance (Promises to Keep Book 4)
A Second Chance (Promises to Keep Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent instalment in the saga, 12 July 2013
as the title suggest I think this is Another excellent instalment in the saga- a heart warming period drama/fiction following the lives of a farming family in New Zealand

The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands: The Waste Lands
The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands: The Waste Lands

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 July 2013
Another brilliant instalment in the dark tower series that will leave you wanting more! Thoroughly entertaining and will leave you wanting to race on to book 4.

Blessed Are Those Who Thirst (HANNE WILHELMSEN SERIES Book 2)
Blessed Are Those Who Thirst (HANNE WILHELMSEN SERIES Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent crime thriller from Holt, 12 July 2013
I can't even begin to describe or verbalise how mucho enjoyed this novel. Excellent plot with some clever twists, fantastic characters all set against an amazing scandic backdrop. Read it!

No-One Ever Has Sex On A Tuesday:  A Very Funny Romantic Novel
No-One Ever Has Sex On A Tuesday: A Very Funny Romantic Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 12 July 2013
A lovely little read that will make you laugh and cry all at the same time. I read the summary and initially thought 'ugh they sound the awful horrible people' but actually when you get reading it makes you remember That ordinary people can end up in awful predicaments, not because they are evil, but because they made one stupid mistake. I really enjoyed the humour that ran through the book- it certainly appealed to my sense! This is certainly worth a giggle and can be quite thought provoking- ill certainly be looking out for the sequel when it comes along

World War Z
World War Z

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 12 July 2013
This review is from: World War Z (Kindle Edition)
Whilst I find the subject matter entertaining I found the structure of this book hard to get to grips with. I was totally unprepared for the fact that the novel is set out as a series of different interviews with people all around the globe, getting their personal experience of the zombie apocalypse that is world war Z. It is more a series of short stories all on the same subject matter. That being said the narrative doesn't really change to reflect that different people are telling their story- I've seen other reviews that suggest that all the interviews speak with one voice and I have to agree with this. I'm quite comfortable with the idea of reading a novel set out in this manner (like bram stokers Dracula or Mary shelleys Frankenstein ) but I was expecting the stories to interconnect and link in back to one another- which disappointingly they didn't. As such it got boring very quickly! I found for every excellent 'interview' there were 10 that were incredibly dull. The only good thing is being able to pick up and read an interview here and there instead of reading the book in one hit so you can follow the plot.

Dark Space
Dark Space

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed this sci-fi novel, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
I was really impressed by this novel and eagerly await the sequel(s)! - please write quicker mr Scott!! I think if you haven't read any sci fi before then this is a good place to start. Although it starts out in dark space you'll find it's got characters who are easy to relate to and a plot that's full of surprises and keeps you guessing. Mr scott paints an easily imaginable image of the future, which isn't bogged down with too many invented future 'sciencey' jargon bits (just because its set in the future, in space, you won't feel like you're reading a different language or need a degree in physics!) It's not like a squeaky clean episode of Star Trek- people drink and swear and commit crimes..... There were some excellent twists towards the end- I just hope they don't continue to the point that they are so fantastical that they become implausible. I know it's fiction but I still like to believe things are possible/plausible!

Close to the Bone (Special Edition) (Logan McRae, Book 8)
Close to the Bone (Special Edition) (Logan McRae, Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return, 31 May 2013
As someone who's been following Logan McRae since day 1 I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. As ever it gives a dark, humorous insight into the life of a detective. I really like how realistic it is in terms of recognising that the investigating officers have more than one case at time- unlike the morse/frost/every other detective novel or programme I've seen where they have one case which they swan in on, solve within 2 days and go home for tea, this novel shows that actually the detectives are juggling numerous major investigations alongside managing their personal lives and problems. I particularly enjoyed this novel as there was a time when. Each Logan McRae story be and a bit too far fetched And unbelievable, whereas this was more of a welcome return to a nice straightforward(ish) and believable plot line.

Safe House
Safe House

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Safe House (Kindle Edition)
This novel started off really well, a crime thriller set on the Isle of Man. The first couple of chapters had me gripped and I thought it was looking very promising. It then seemed to slip into a far fetched, slightly ridiculous plot which I personally lost interest in and left me feeling a little disappointed. I know it's fiction, and therefore doesn't necessarily need to be 'real life', but for me this was just too far fetched and unrealistic for me to enjoy.......

The Man Who Forgot His Wife
The Man Who Forgot His Wife

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 31 May 2013
I really enjoyed this book. The plot isn't rocket science and its a little predictable, but I found it very entertaining all the same. There were a couple of moments I found myself snorting with laughter and my husband giving me disapproving looks across the room- but what can I say- I found this particular style of writing very funny and easy to relate to. I think both men and women would enjoy this book- especially as it tackles some of the standard gripes between a husband and wife, looking at issues from both points of view. If you want An easy, chirpy holiday read then I would give this a try. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for other works by this author.

Street Without a Name
Street Without a Name

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight into communist and post communist bulgaria, 31 May 2013
I ordered this book to read whilst on holiday in bulgaria. Having never visited the country before or having read anything about it I found this book an excellent insight into life in communist and post communist bulgaria. This is not a fictional account or a travel guide, but a stark and honest book about life in bulgaria during the past few decades and the struggles and hardship of the people living there, but unlike a history textbook it has all the emotion and personal experience of the author, making it a lot easier to relate to and understand. For anyone remotely interested in learning in about a life outside of your own then I would recommend you give this a try.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5