ARRAY(0xaa063f78)

Profile for Michael S. Stewart > Reviews

Content by Michael S. Stewart

Michael S. Stewart "michaelstewart" (Bushey Heath, Herts. UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
WD My Passport Ultra 500GB USB 3.0 Portable Drive with Auto and Cloud Backup - Black
Price: 44.99

4.0 out of 5 stars good presentation but flawed software, 12 April 2014
I do rather like this external hard drive. It is neat and compact i.e. pocketable if need be and nicely finished, with rounded edges. However, as to its performance, there still hangs a cloud. The software seemed to download faultlessly to show it's straightforward presentation with columns of coloured blocks representing that which is available to copy from one's 'C' drive and that which one has selected in 'D' (Passport) or in Dropbox, if required.

however, on first using it, it appeared unable to transfer 'documents' from 'C' to 'D'. I inadvertently pulled out the plug from the USB socket on my PC and on replacing it I found all the columns were empty i.e no coloured blocks anywhere in the 3 columns.

On the advice of WD I re-downloaded the software, taking care on their advice to switch of a ALL anti-virus protection and the firewall whilst so doing (Not a thing I like to do) On reloading, the coloured blocks returned and it appeared ok but now it wont back up Pictures i.e. they remain yellow in the 'C' column and grey in the 'D' column.

I have had much correspondence and quite a few phone calls with WD who I must say seem v concerned and extremely patient, bearing in mind that I am no IT' techie'. I have sent them screen shots derived from analytical software that they have sent to me and endeavoured to send copies of the logs, which were difficult to locate.

I thought at first that it was just me and that they would brand me a fool. However, I see from the various forums that I am far from alone, that there are many similar issues reported, which does restore my confidence somewhat.

In my opinion, I feel that this software is actually not very good -Sadly - or it could be that it is not fully compatible with Windows 8/8.1. Which it claims to be.

Of course files can be dragged across easily, manually, but I feel, and WD agree with me, that this is not the point of the exercise. It should work automatically as per the spec. I am going to stick with it and see if WD produce a cure, or perhaps they will update the software in due course.

Its a shame as I do rather like it

Behind The Scenes At Trooping The Colour With The Kings Troop Royal Horse Artillery [DVD] [NTSC]
Price: 6.97

3.0 out of 5 stars the usual stuff for pageant enthusuasts, 11 Mar 2014
A rather boring but well put together look at the TOTC. Not for me. Was bought as a present for a young enthusiast.

Blue Right Angle USB 3.0 Type A Male to Female Adapter Cable Cord Lead
Blue Right Angle USB 3.0 Type A Male to Female Adapter Cable Cord Lead
Offered by TOPCITY
Price: 2.79

5.0 out of 5 stars handy USB connector, 11 Mar 2014
It works and it fits !! What else is there to say? Oh yes, it is a lovely shade of blue!

Son of Hamas: A Gripping Account of Terror, Betrayal, Political Intrigue, and Unthinkable Choices
Price: 5.88

4.0 out of 5 stars A Hamas members inside view, 11 Mar 2014
An interesting and unique record of a young man experiencing both sides of an intractable situation. His motives may be somewhat obscure and some of his historical 'facts' unreliable, but there is no doubting his sincerity and his wish for peace. How much his religious conversion bears on all this, I found somewhat difficult to fathom.
Definitely a worthwhile read for those wishing to gain a further insight into both sides of the Israel/Palestine 'Narrative'.

Samsung M3 500GB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Samsung M3 500GB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Offered by Nano Electronics
Price: 36.60

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard Drive with a mind of its own, 27 Feb 2014
Well it certainly seems to work. However, I found the instruction manual a nightmare (Agreed I am no Techie) but there is approx. 190 plus pages of occasionally contradictory (To Me) instructions, which although they explain the functions, they don't clearly advise on procedure. Or all the nomenclature .In this the manual is typical, i.e. written by engineers who assume that all the purchasers are likewise equally qualified.

Sometimes it transfers/saves files etc. from my PC without any prompting, at other times, it is necessary to prompt the' back-up' procedure. After which it will often dig up old files which I thought I had deleted.

A telephone call to the Seagate tech. support in Oklahoma (for that is where I was directed) was not a lot of use. I spoke to a very pleasant gent who was extremely patient, but admitted quite frankly that he wasn't all that familiar with the software.

If this is the idea of Seagate/Samsung 'expert' back up, well I can only say that to me, it doesn't inspire much confidence and is contrary to my previous experience with Samsung Techl. Support on other Samsung items purchased.

However, I shall stick with it. It appears to work OK on either USB 2 or 3 and does the job - apparently !!
+++++++++++
Since this was written, It has started showing "Caution" notices on the screen saying that files are corrupted etc., and to click yes to correct the problems. No faults are ever found and it is now impossible to remove these warnings. E-mails to Samsung/Seagate are acknowledged but no reply is ever forthcoming. Phone calls to Oklahoma (Samsung UK don't want to know!!) are unsatisfactory - When you can get a reply, that is!! Nice guys but who seem to know v little - can't help. I have sent it back for refund.
I don't think it is suitable for Windows 8 inspite of claims that it is. I now find it impossible to remove Samsung Clarus drive manager software from the PC.

Songs I Learned at My Mother's Knee
Songs I Learned at My Mother's Knee
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 10.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Marty Grosz true to form, 27 Feb 2014
I always expect the best from Marty Grosz in whatever he does and once again, I was not disappointed. He is careful to choose musicians of the highest standard and as always, this has paid off

Together with his excellent arrangements, we have another Mary Grosz winner.

iGloo Quality Slim Leather Flip Cover Case Wallet for the Samsung Galaxy Fame S6810 Mobile Phone - Black
Offered by Glisteni Glisten
Price: 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars good phone protection, 19 Dec 2013
it seems v well made and fits my Galaxey Fame perfectly. Be careful on closing it that the cover doesn't press on the reset/home button at the bottom. THis if held for too long will flatten the battery. A fraction of the cost of the silly prices asked in the various phone shops for v similar items

Pure OFC HQ 3.5mm Jack to Stereo Jack Socket Extension Cable 1m
Pure OFC HQ 3.5mm Jack to Stereo Jack Socket Extension Cable 1m
Offered by kenable_ltd
Price: 1.94

4.0 out of 5 stars usefull 3.5m extension, 19 Dec 2013
You can't really say you 'love it', so 'like it' will have to do. Sturdy, If somewhat heavy lead, with good quality plug and socket.

Lets Face the Music
Lets Face the Music
Price: 14.62

5.0 out of 5 stars two masters of Jazz, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lets Face the Music (Audio CD)
all tracks are worth listening to. Plus all are well palyed. Adams is an excellent trumpeter. Barnes is his usual imaculate self. I particualry like both solists in Give a little whitle with Barnes on baritone sax.

La Boheme - The Film [2009] [DVD]
La Boheme - The Film [2009] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anna Netrebko
Offered by DVD Vault UK
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars opera film at its best, 19 Dec 2013
I am aware that some of the critics where not particialrly impressed with this film - I think they were wrong!! It is beautifully filmed and most important, beautifilly sung and acted by the two leading artists.

I would highly recommend this to all lovers of this most popular of operas.Being on film it might not appeal to those who are used to and prefer, the traditional stage version, but if watched with an open mind, I feel it stamds up v well indeed.

Watch out for Nicole Cabell in he part of Musetta. An amazing voice coupled with an excellent stage presence.

I am no expert on these matters so don 't take my word for it - Watch it !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10