Profile for Alice > Reviews

Alice

Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
by Tori Haschka

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful inspiration to switch out white carbs!, 22 July 2014
I'm finally clutching my copy of Cut the Carbs! Not because I'm an avid cook book buyer (quite the contrary), but because my white carb cooking needs a (colourful) makeover. Much like Tori describes, my go-to recipes all involve pasta, mash - and I may be the kind of person who declares, "twice as nice with rice!" So what I like most about Cut the Carbs is the inspiration to switch out these habits for simple, tasty staples.

I love knowing that I can stock my cupboards with beans/pulses and be able to quickly throw together a base for some lean protein. Tori's recipes are busting with flavour - but, gratefully, not ingredients which are impossible to find. And like her blog, each recipe comes with an entertaining and enticing introduction (matched with beautiful, mouthwatering photography) - which, for a reluctant cook like me, acts as a friendly nudge to give something new a try.

Now, I love sourdough waaaaaaay too much to ever give up white carbs completely, which is just one more reason to buy this cookbook!

A Suitcase and a Spatula - Recipes and stories from around the world
A Suitcase and a Spatula - Recipes and stories from around the world
by Tori Haschka

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect recipe of food and travel stories, 17 April 2013
To be honest: I don't read cookbooks. I buy them - always with the best intentions- but alas they always end up collecting dust on the shelf.

Enter A SUITCASE AND A SPATULA: the prefect recipe of food and travel stories.

This is a book you can curl up and lose yourself in: you can relish in the beautifully written tales of travel to distant and exotic lands, smile over the love shared between Tori and her Hungry One, and then finally feast upon the scrumptious recipes and photos. This combination is Tori's stroke of genius, for her engaging prose and heartfelt stories not only put the delicious recipes in context, but they also make them seem much more achievable (says this reluctant/hopeless cook).

Now, full disclosure: Tori is a friend, and I've long been an avid reader of her fabulous blog: EatTori. But with that said I think anyone who picks up A SUITCASE AND A SPATULA will wind up with a new friend, as Tori draws you into her intoxicating travels (you'll never look at a breakfast buffet or a minibar the same way again!), life with her wonderful husband The Hungry One, and how the world can look that much rosier with a glass of pink wine in your hand.

One Month Carb Detox - how I escaped the crutch of white carbs in 30 recipes (and how you can too)

5.0 out of 5 stars Detox deliciousness!, 21 Oct. 2012
This marvellous addition to my kitchen has arrived just in time for (Australian) summer! What makes it so wonderful is not only Tori's warm and engaging style, but the delightfully easy-going nature of the book itself. This isn't a prescriptive "thou shalt not eat carbs" tome, rather a fun, and - most importantly in my case - simple to follow set of suggestions and cookable recipes.
They're a pinch to fold into your everyday cooking routine - and, again, this is from someone who gets rather shy at the stovetop! But can I blitz white beans and artichokes together with lemon or garlic or whatever takes my fancy? You bet I can!