Profile for Jane Colley > Reviews

Content by Jane Colley

Jane Colley "Jane" (Newcastle-under-Lyme, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Trixie Mini Lettuce Hay Manger For Hamsters Guinea Pig Pet Cage
Trixie Mini Lettuce Hay Manger For Hamsters Guinea Pig Pet Cage
Offered by SaveMoneyonThis
Price: 6.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Guinea pigs love it!, 2 Jan 2014
My guinea pigs absolutely love fresh grass in the summer, but in the winter their hay is the alternative. I feed them hay daily but was disappointed to find half of it eaten and the rest not he floor, pooped on and spoiled. So I found this product and purchased it in order to keep the hay off the floor and in their bellies.

I have seen other hay manger products in some pet shops, but they are all quite large, too tall for my hutch and more suited for a rabbit. This small and compact hay manger fits nicely onto the mesh of my hutch door and I can cram just enough hay in there to last my two Guinea pigs the day. And I am safe in the knowledge that they'll be eating rather than sleeping on it.

The manger is very sturdy, and it hasn't once looked like it was going to fall off the mesh. It's design means it attaches quite well and is not in danger of coming off. It was actually somewhat fiddle to get onto the small mesh of my door but once it was on it has stayed on since.

A great item I would recommend to anyone with a small breed rabbit or guinea pigs.

Rabbit Hutch Cover
Rabbit Hutch Cover
Offered by SuperPetShack
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars All-round protection, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Rabbit Hutch Cover (Misc.)
I purchased this item because it I s the brand name product that fits perfectly onto the hutch made by the same company. I am delighted with it an know my guinea pigs will be cosy inside against all the wind and rain we've had this winter. It fits very well onto the hutch as it is designed to fit that particular model. It is waterproof and allows me access to bedroom and main areas separately.

The clear plastic flap can be raised when it's not needed, but I found it difficult to roll up as the plastic is very thick and I had to roll it very tightly to fit the strap around it. The ventilation eyelets have also rusted quicker than I would expect, but that hasn't made anything other than an aesthetic difference. The plastic part also feels like it's pulled too tightly as the water bottle creates a bulge.

I was disappointed how easily one oft he zippers has broken. They do not appear to be particularly sturdy and we have managed to make a quick-fix for it using a pair of pliers, and have had to replace the broken zip toggle with one off those circular bits from a keyring. This happened within a couple of days of putting the cover on, and I'm not very heavy handed at all.

Despite this I would still recommend the product to anyone with this brand of hutch, as my guinea pigs are fully protected when I choose, and so long as you're gentle with the zipper the rest of the product appears quite sturdy and will hopefully last me a while yet.

TOS- Puprle 360 Rotating Leather Stand Cover Case Ipad 2
TOS- Puprle 360 Rotating Leather Stand Cover Case Ipad 2
Offered by The Ago!
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent accessory for the ipad, 2 Jan 2014
I wanted a new case for my ipad and the ones we use at work have this style of case on the, so I thought I would give it a go. I am happy with my new purchase. I love the colour too.

Unlike my old case, this one allows you to swivel the ipad 360degrees in relation to the built-in stand, meaning I can stand it landscape or portrait depending on what I am doing. It also has a strap for holding the case shut so it doesn't accidentally swing open, for example when you're quickly stuffing it in your bag, which I imagine can help to prevent damage if you don't have a plastic screen protector.

However, I do think its design needs a little more thought. It has three ridges on here built in stand so that the ipad can be tilted at different angles. While all three work for in portrait orientation, the third ridge does not work for landscape orientation. This doesn't affect operation much, but my last case allowed me to prop the ipad in landscape at a shallow angle, which was useful for typing. This is only a minor thing in the grand scheme of things.

My old case also had something built into it which made the screen turn off when the case closed. This one does not have this and so I have had to learn to switch off the screen using the button, as I had gotten I to the habit of simply closing the case. It is not a major flaw of this device, and certainly with my other device if the case flap was opened when the ipad was in my bag I would lose battery life with the ipad not in sleep mode. At least with this one I have full confidence that my screen is asleep when I close it.

Compared with my old case this one is rather chunkier, which in my opinion is a drawback as I love the sleek feel of an ipad without the case, and my old case was less chunky. It is especially so when the flip-lid is folded back. However, it does feel nice and solid and I feel my ipad is protected by the sturdy plastic case and velvety interior of the well-padded flap.

Overall I would recommend this case to anyone, and it is particularly useful if, like me, you use you ipad everywhere (on the sofa, in the car, at the desk...) as it allows you many possibilities for propping it up. A good alternative to my old and worn out case.

Reptile Vivarium Stick-On Heat Mats 5W
Reptile Vivarium Stick-On Heat Mats 5W
Offered by Aquapet
Price: 11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Product, 26 July 2011
Altogether an all round average product. (Through no fault of the seller)

A design flaw in the product means that it does not produce a lot of heat because it is small and low watt, not enough to penetrate the glass to any great degree when attached to the underside of the tank. I think the main issue is that if you have a small tank you have to have a small, low voltage product like this one. Perhaps the company making it didn't think that one through.

If you need more heat then purchase as large a mat as you can, thus higher wattage. I'm currently using this product in conjunction with a heat lamp to make enough warmth for my beetles, and this set up is working quite well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2012 9:15 PM BST

The Sims 3 Late Night - Prima Essential Guide
The Sims 3 Late Night - Prima Essential Guide
by Prima Games
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Guide, 26 May 2011
If you play the Sims you'll know that there are hidden little quirks in the game that often you don't find out about even if you play for a good long while. Once again Prima delivers a compact, concise and supremely useful guide to this expansion pack.

There's all kinds of useful information about the new careers, object, town, buildings, nightclubs, vampirism, and skills.

If you want the sims gaming without having to play and re-play to find everything, definitely get this guide. It doesn't take anything away from gameplay, it enhances it by far.

Collins Flower Guide (Britain and Ireland)
Collins Flower Guide (Britain and Ireland)
by David Streeter
Price: 13.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Wildflower ID, 26 May 2011
I have a large collection of wildflower ID books to help me in my work. So far this title is one of the best. Not the most compact, but by far one of the most useful and easy-to-use of them all.

It has logical, well laid-out identification keys with good images of all of the plant species.

Well worth purchasing if you're into your wildflowers!

Grasses, Ferns, Mosses and Lichens of Great Britain and Ireland
Grasses, Ferns, Mosses and Lichens of Great Britain and Ireland
by Roger Phillips

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful ID guide, 31 Jan 2011
I am regularly required to identify grasses, mosses and lichens in my field of work and this is so far the most easy to use guide I've found so far. It has photographs of a variety of species and details their habitat requirements, which some ID books don't do, and which helps in the ID process. A great ID book, and continues in the same excellent quality as the other ID books by Rodger Phillips.

The only downside to this ID guide is its size. Its a large book which is not altogether handy when you're out and about Its much better for identifying samples you bring home or for when you're working in a place where its not too much to carry a large rucksack of books around.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep it safe!, 28 Dec 2010
I purchased my Ipod touch as a birthday gift to myself and as everyone knows they're very expensive, so I decided to protect it with a case. This case is made of transparent plastic and fits snugly around the ipod, so it doesn't make it big and chunky and protects the ipods stylish sleek appearance. This is quite useful if, like me, you want to buy a slip-case for your ipod as well. This case is thin so you can keep the case on and your ipod will fit into whatever pouch you buy for it. Comes with a screen protector too so this product protects your whole ipod. The stylus is an added bonus which I do not personally use but maybe other people will find it useful.

Ponds: Creating and Maintaining a Wildlife Pond (Countryside)
Ponds: Creating and Maintaining a Wildlife Pond (Countryside)
by Chris McLaren
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the amateur and professional, 28 Dec 2010
I am a countryside ranger and ecologist and although I already know a great deal about managing ponds, this is the first book I have found that is supremely useful. The book details methods of maintaining your pond so that wildlife can thrive in it. It also details how to set up a new pond, step by step. It has been useful to me as a professional who works frequently with ponds, but considering that the book is so easy to use and doesn't swamp the reader with scientific jargon I imagine it would be very useful for the average-joe/jane in his/her back garden. Its also quite small so you don't have masses of pages to read.

If you want to attract more wildlife to your garden and your existing (or planned) pond then buy this book!

The Sims 3 Ambitions Expansion Pack - Prima Essential Guide (Prima Essential Guides)
by Prima Games
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Guide, 8 Nov 2010
I couldn't believe the guide when I recieved it because it was so small. However the lack in size has no effect on its content. This small guide is much easier to use than the larger guides due to its handy size (which doesn't take over your computer desk!) and contains all the information you would expect from its larger counterparts. The content is the same as the larger guides I own for the other expansion packs. I find it much easier to quickly flip through this small book than the large guides.

If you want a guide don't get one of the large ones, get this smaller one!

Page: 1 | 2