Profile for A C SHIELDS > Reviews

Content by A C SHIELDS

A C SHIELDS (melbourne , australia)

Page: 1 | 2
Poet & The Dreamer
Poet & The Dreamer

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this and his latest 'CAROUSEL' - your ears will thank you. Warning: contains melody and real singing, 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: Poet & The Dreamer (Audio CD)
This is one of those albums that you hear about, but don't get round to buying for quite a while. I read a good review in MOJO magazine a long time ago. I then bought Neville's latest album as I couldn't find this one at a reasonable price. I loved his latest, with its folksy, seductive acoustic guitars and was looking forward to hearing this one day. Then there it was used. The mood is great and sustained with a relaxed and honest feel, with Neville singing in his direct and communicative voice on a number of originals. It shows you there's still a lot of talent coming out of Liverpool - what is it about that place? Highly recommended to all lovers of real music.

The Trip to Italy [DVD]
The Trip to Italy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan
Price: 7.30

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy successor the the first, with a twist, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Trip to Italy [DVD] (DVD)
I loved the full 3 hour version of THE TRIP. I was overjoyed to hear there was another. They have hit on a great presentation - fine scenery, some character studies and salient remarks about the times we live in and the media - not to mention celebrities. Then there are the impressions, not just used for effect, but also to make other comments about the characters in a Pythonesque way. This one is more bittersweet - if there are more, great. If not, this is a good way to leave it, with a balance. Those who have seen both may understand why I write that. I heartily recommend it - I feel these shows will go down as classics, perhaps a new genre has even been invented here.

Hendra
Hendra
Offered by roundMediaUK
Price: 8.26

5.0 out of 5 stars A great selection of songs, big on mood and feeling, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Hendra (Audio CD)
I like the overall mood of this record, which is mostly acoustic and intimate. I would go so far as to say that it may affect you more if you are at a certain stage of life - that's why it resonated with me, I think. Strong melodies, good reflective non pretentious lyrics , not overly produced - it's all good. Highly recommended.

Theatre of Blood [Blu-ray]
Theatre of Blood [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Vincent Price
Price: 23.15

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine release, a perfect gift for those who love films with a difference, 25 Jun 2014
This film is just what I was looking for - a bit of horror, a bit of comedy and a different side to Vincent's acting that I hadn't seen before. Arrow sent me a replacement disc and I was happy with that. Do not watch the extras before watching the film, due to spoilers. Arrow are doing a great job with the choice of titles they release and I hope they continue for some time to come!

Carousel
Carousel
Price: 12.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Very melodic and mellow, beautiful guitar sounds, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Carousel (Audio CD)
I couldn't find Neville's last album easily, so was very glad to see he had another coming out. I was not disappointed and anyone who enjoys fine music with a touch of Van Morrison and great songs. I really loved 'Falling Leaves' in particular. Looking forward to the next one.

New Tricks: Complete BBC Series 10 [DVD]
New Tricks: Complete BBC Series 10 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alun Armstrong
Price: 15.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Changing, but still worthwhile, 13 Dec 2013
We've followed the show for ten years and I think the next season will be make or break. It is still well written and has the same mix of drama and comedy. Dennis waterman is carrying the show for some viewers, I'm sure. This current season was good, but the next one will be the decider.

Marvel's Avengers Assemble [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Marvel's Avengers Assemble [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.
Price: 10.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Stars are for the film, not the consumer/ film fan ripoff, 2 Sep 2012
I love the film - it seems we got it released first here in Australia. However, we missed out on the director commentary and the 90 minute documentary. I very much enjoy those sort of features, as I did on both of the Iron Man Bluray releases. Bluray is marketed as being the ultimate, so why are these things missing for Region B? Perhaps they are in such a rush to make money that the public misses out. It looks like I'll soon be shopping at the US site if the region is compatible. I'm disappointed - usually they leave off features on the DVD's only. I hope this clears things up, if you were thinking of getting the Australian version.

The Beatles Box Set - Remastered in Stereo
The Beatles Box Set - Remastered in Stereo
Offered by Amore DVD
Price: 118.99

5.0 out of 5 stars For the music - can anyone really tell if they sound 'better'?, 23 Aug 2012
I don't know if it's because I'm so familiar with the music that I can't tell if there's a sound quality difference. Buying this set is a good way to have it all in one place - apart from that, the value's not great. I was lucky enough to find this slightly battered (not the food type) second hand, less than half price and I would encourage big fans to do the same and search for it that way. Also, make sure it's the real thing - especially if you're buying the mono box too.

Roll Out the Barrel: The British Pub on Film (2-DVD)
Roll Out the Barrel: The British Pub on Film (2-DVD)
Dvd ~ Terry Jones
Offered by A2Z Entertains
Price: 15.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't watched it all yet, but love the amazing variety, 23 Aug 2012
This is a time capsule. Having lived in the UK for around 4 years, I grew to love the pubs and went to many, both in city and in country. I bought it because I miss all that, being back in Australia, where we have fake Irish pubs. I don't know why they don't hire 80 year old men dressed in costume smoking pipes to make them more authentic. Anyway, I took a chance and absolutely loved this collection of films, which would be great to watch with a few mates and a few beers. Long may the real pub (and real ale) remain vital in the UK !

The Girl Who... Millennium Trilogy (Extended Versions) [Blu-ray]
The Girl Who... Millennium Trilogy (Extended Versions) [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace
Offered by specialinterests
Price: 12.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Stars are for the show, not the picture quality, which varies, 23 Aug 2012
Rather than going on about the picture quality, I'll say that we bought this for the ease of having all the films uncut in one nice collection, which is what we wanted. Some go on about Blurays having to be perfect, but it was good enough. The story is so gripping you soon forget about that. Buy this if you're not too fussy and can enjoy things in a simple way.

Page: 1 | 2