Profile for Dinoman > Reviews

Taylor Takes Charge
Taylor Takes Charge
by Charles Utley

5.0 out of 5 stars Great novel - looking forward to the sequel, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Taylor Takes Charge (Paperback)
I was not sure whether I was going to like this book but I could not put it down and read it through in one sitting on a long train journey. After the first two chapters I decided to have a large gin and tonic and I did not look back, laughing out loud in places on my journey from Newcastle to London. It was like travelling with an entertaining companion. As some of the other reviewers have said, the characters are vividly painted(I wonder if they are based on real people?) and that is what really brings the book to life. I hope there is a sequel. This is a great "gin and tonic" book, and if you read it you will understand why I say that.

Top Trumps Dinosaurs Card Game
Top Trumps Dinosaurs Card Game
Offered by Fun Collectables

4.0 out of 5 stars Dinoman?, 23 April 2006
I really like this one.

Not quite up there with the "Horror" top trumps (a must have for those long airport check in's) but really good nevertheless. A fantastic way to re-learn all those dinosaur names, or to scratch your chin over others and wonder whether when you were seven you ever did read about a 'Gigantosaurus' or whether to make up numbers in a pack of top trumps ...

But really good - with the exception of the one card which you can remove (I think he is called 'Dinoman'); in the 'further information' section (a feature I really like) he is described as "what the velociraptors might have evolved into" (!!?). This is a silly card for obvious reasons, but once you have removed that piece of chaff you have a class act.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2010 2:05 PM BST

LeapFrog Hug & Learn Baby Tad
LeapFrog Hug & Learn Baby Tad

2.0 out of 5 stars Please tell it to stop shouting at me!, 2 Feb 2006
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
We bought this for our son who is only six months old. Whether he likes it or not it is difficult to say (he seems pretty indifferent about it, but then he is probably a little young for this toy). It does play some tunes and has games to play.
But if you are contemplating purchasing this and have read the other glowing reviews, you should know that in my opinion (and everyone I have introduced Tad to) this thing is ... really annoying. And a little bit scary. When you press the 'cheek kiss' button it says "mmmph (kiss sound) - I LOVE YOU!" (in New York accent). I don't like that. I don't even really know Tad, let alone love him. Plus it is rather 'fast paced' and switches itself off pretty quickly if you don't press buttons quickly. My little man was still dribbling over Tad when we first handed him over. The first thing Tad said when dribble-o had not managed to work out how to press buttons was "bye bye!"
I do not like Baby Tad. Neither does my partner. That means (I am ashamed to say) that we are a little reluctant to hand him to our little gurgler to play with. I don't like Tad, I will say it again. I never thought I would say that about one of my son's toys. I am hoping that when he gets a little older he won't like Tad either, although I fear he may love him back.

Top Trumps - Space
Top Trumps - Space

3.0 out of 5 stars Nebulae and Planets - they're all here, 5 Oct 2005
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Top Trumps - Space (Toy)
I am a top trump enthusiast, and I quite like this one. It is, like all top trumps, excellent on pure educational grounds. Let's face it, playing trumps is a fun way to learn about any sort of phenomena. The only thing I was less enthusiastic about with these particular trumps is that much of the phenomena are not really 'head to head' contests if you know what I mean. 'Jupiter v Venus' is a pretty interesting contest, as you can compare diameters etc and be interested to discover which is greater if you don't already know. But 'Haley's comet v space dust' don't quite get me going in the same way; they are not really comparable phenomena. But I would recommend these trumps on educational grounds alone. Enjoy!