Profile for Harlequin > Reviews

The Twilight Herald (Gollancz S.F.): Book Two of the Twilight Reign
The Twilight Herald (Gollancz S.F.): Book Two of the Twilight Reign
by Tom Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars I beg to differ..., 18 Sep 2007
ATTENTION MR JONTYBALL. When reviewing a book perhaps I might suggest actually doing just that instead of citing a litany of other authors and deploring the times we live in. Yes Twighlight Herald is not all sweetness and light and indeed there is a pervadingg air of unease in sections of the book. That, I would argue, is entirely in keeping with a story which has been quite well crafted by Mr Lloyd. Having read his first, Stormcaller, on the recommendation of a friend I delved into Twighight Herald with some understanding of the background and indeed a few expectations. These have all unquestionably been met. For such a young author Mr Lloyd depicts an unreal world with admirable skill, and while some dialogue may seem somewhat trite it is a minor gripe about what is a really rather enjoyable read. I do not pretend to be a fan of all things fantasy, and find some of it down right peculiar, but this book is accessible and enjoyable for any reader that wants a good story and doesn't have to have a disney like ending to be satisfied. Good luck to Mr Lloyd and role on book three I say!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2007 1:06 PM GMT

The Stormcaller: The Twilight Reign: Book 1: Book One of the Twilight Reign
The Stormcaller: The Twilight Reign: Book 1: Book One of the Twilight Reign
by Tom Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely entertaining, 17 Sep 2007
Having been recommended this by a friend I must say I was intially sceptical as fantasy has never been an area of particular interest for me. Tolstoy and Pratchett aside I've read the odd bit of David Gemmell and Frank Herbert but that's it.

I was therefore pleasantly suprised that I found this book, the author's first apparently, accessible, engaging and thoroughly entertaining. Whilst the sheer number of characters and necessary exposition make for a somewhat stilted read nothing is there unnecessarily. You get the feeling that the pre-amble is needed as this is undoubtedly the first in a series and while there is a satisfying conclusion to Stormcaller there is also scope for the sequels, which I actually plan on reading.

So it's not a Pulitzer winner but a good read that is more mainstream than the fantasy genre usually produces. Definitely worth a the time.