ARRAY(0xa69b7060)

"acehunterman"

Blade of the Immortal Vol 1: Blood of a Thousand: Blood of a Thousand v. 1
Blade of the Immortal Vol 1: Blood of a Thousand: Blood of a Thousand v. 1
by Hiroaki Samura

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, which maintains its quality over the series, 8 Oct 2002
I bought this book because I was impressed by the artwork, but found that the art wasn't the only great thing about this series.
The story starts off a little hazy (Samura doesn't seem to be able to make up his wind on the plot), but it soon regulates and keeps getting better. The immortality thing sounds cheesy (it's been done to death, but best applied in 3x3 Eyes), but Samura uses it as an excuse to give the reader amazing swordfights, where are "invinsible hero" isn't a strong as he first appears (He's always getting carved up, but never killed), but still prooves himself to be the coolest comic character to date.
If you want a samurai type of graphic novel, then this is samurai period on the wild side (it isn't too concerned with the honor factor of many samurai period comics) as it focuses on the side of martial arts as a system of fighting, rather than a parlour game (as a practicing martial artist this subject strikes a particular note with me).
A more traditional (but equally violent) samurai period series I also recommend for the traditionalists out there recommend is "Lone Wolf and Cub", personally I'd get both (hey, I did!).
In short, this is an epic series with love, betrayal, a long running essay (it's the basis of the story) on the potential mess of wrongly tought martial arts, and lots and lots of violence (plus dechanged parts of bodies, not for the easily disturbed).

No Need for Tenchi: No 1
No Need for Tenchi: No 1
by Hitoshi Okuda

2.0 out of 5 stars Considering the popularity of the series, I'm disappointed, 8 Oct 2002
I watched the series, and enjoyed it, just like many others did.
And if you love the series and cannot get enough of it then these graphic novels will be right up your street. However, the one thing that really annoyed me about these graphic novels is the fact that there is no real continuation of a story, every issue inside each g.novel is different, and seemingly pointless.
Tenchi was entertaining the first time I read it, but afterwards (and after 4 g.novels) I got a bit bored with the same "Tenchi finds problem, solves it, and Ryoko and Ayeka fight over Tenchi" sequence. Like I said, if you can't get enough of the series, buy this, but be warned, the g.novels do not give you any more of the kind of story found in the series (and you could watch the series for free, or relatively free (Its always on Cartoon Network), but it's 12 quid a pop for the "winning formula" of the g.novels).
If you want this story for any sort of swordplay (because Tenchi generally has this sort of a confrontation), then I can introduce you to two new swordsmen, infinately better than Tenchi:
1: Manji from "Blade of the Immortal" (My favourate g.novel series-I strongly recommend it)
2:Itto Ogami of "Lone Wolf and Cub" (Another great samurai g.novel series)
Enjoy.