Profile for IJS > Reviews

Mr. Nobody
Mr. Nobody
by Natalie Gordon

4.0 out of 5 stars A moving and sensitive read., 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Mr. Nobody (Paperback)
Few writers manage to capture a child's voice as well as it is done here. From the first sentence, Katie was real to me - and I loved her. She is sensitive and quiet but full of observations and insight. This is a lovely book for thoughtful children. And one of those books that parents can't help but pick up and read too. Moving, dramatic and ultimately uplifting.

The Wave Theory of Angels
The Wave Theory of Angels
by Alison MacLeod

3.0 out of 5 stars sorry but..., 2 Jun 2014
So many positive reviews for this book but for me it was just too difficult to get into the story - the narrative drive is sacrificed to style and it is distracting trying to work out what exactly is going on - and what the point of the end was.

True Grit
True Grit
by Charles Portis

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect novel, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: True Grit (Paperback)
This is a book that demands to be read in one sitting. And on the way I laughed out loud and certainly would not put the book down except for the most basic needs. It is an adventure story – with all the drive and compulsion of the best of that genre – but the voice of the narrator (a single-minded, gutsy, humourless girl of 14, on a self-determined mission to avenge the murder of her father) makes you see the simple story of justice as mythical and epic. The characters become heroic, grand. When I finished it, Rooster Cogburn was as large and terrible and Godlike and brave and flawed as my/a Father. You want the bad guys shot, and you know that real morality requires that you do not follow the rules, or the law. And there is no reward for it save for an old maid’s remembrance and debt. It’s wonderful stuff.
While the main characters are quickly drawn, they are both consistent and complex. When I finished it I wept – in the way that all good books get me – I wept for myself and I wept for the archetype described and painted on a larger scale – pathos of the highest degree. And, oh God, the one-liners are just brilliant.

Dinosaur Land: Double Trouble!
Dinosaur Land: Double Trouble!
by Michelle Misra

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for dinosaur mad children, 2 Jun 2014
My five year old son had actually "gone off" dinosaurs when he got this as a present - it completely rekindled his love for dinosaurs and was just right for a chapter-a-night bedtime reading.

What I Loved
What I Loved
by Siri Hustvedt

5.0 out of 5 stars slow burning literary thriller, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: What I Loved (Paperback)
“What I Loved” is a story set in an intellectual and “High Art” New York. It tells the story of two couples and on one level is a very absorbing look at the dynamics between two families. But it is also a compelling thriller, the drive of which is hidden for a long time but takes over in the second half of the novel. I have loved it and had the fear-of-bereavement-slowing-down as I neared the end. It is very rich and such a fully gripping story that I felt like I sank into it and was submerged each time I picked it up.

Sony Ericsson W910i Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars W910i, 13 Nov 2007
I purchased a w910i last week and was very impressed with it. In the other review it makes the phone look bad and it simply is not! The shake control works exceedingly well and i dont know how the other reviewer finds it hard to flick it right. The gaming is truly spectacular and the music player absolutely outstanding.Add to this the fact that its looks are awesome. I dont find the texting difficult, even with my fairly big fingers. When i showed it to my friends they were amazed!!
The camera is fairly basic but it is sufficient for my uses.

In my opinion this phone is simply the best of the best and i would deffinately reccomend purchasing it.

Jack Hobbs (I used my mums account)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2007 8:22 PM GMT

Field Music
Field Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting a feel for field music, 4 Sep 2005
This review is from: Field Music (Audio CD)
I got this album on a whim and just can't stop playing it now. At first found the change between the two different styles reflected in the songs a little hard to get used to but now it seems like one whole and is now my favourite album for a long time - pretty but really clever melodies, and the Geordie accents that come through just add to the whole effect of sung poetry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2010 1:06 AM GMT