Profile for Mr. Andrew D. Dwelly > Reviews

Content by Mr. Andrew D. ...

Mr. Andrew D. Dwelly

AmazonBasics USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable for iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPod nano 7 and iPod 5 3 Feet / 0.9 m - Apple certified
Price: 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars instead of 5 as I'd like the hard plastic parts to be sturdier, 14 Aug 2014
I've owned one of these for a year and in that time it's worked perfectly. Today I discovered that while it was in my bag it must have impacted something as the plastic casing round the small plug has shattered. Rather than risk using it on an expensive piece of Apple kit - I've ordered a new one. 4 stars instead of 5 as I'd like the hard plastic parts to be sturdier.

Everyone Deserves To Know What I Think
Everyone Deserves To Know What I Think
Price: 3.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 25 Oct 2013
Picked this up because I heard the author could use a hand. As it turned out, something he wrote gave me a hand.

2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful, 23 Aug 2013
I've recently started writing short stories as a hobby. There are any number of 'how to write a novel' guidebooks out there. Ironically - I've found most of them to be unreadable. This one is different. It was engaging, covers basic ideas in a way I found understandable, and it outlines authorial techniques that work for me.

Highly recommended.

Poison Seed (A Lady Serpent Egyptian Murder Story)
Poison Seed (A Lady Serpent Egyptian Murder Story)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and atmospheric, 2 Aug 2013
It's interesting to see the development of this character. In this second story the author has found a distinct and rather unique tone. It's fast paced, well plotted, and yes, laugh out loud funny. Highly recommended.

The Power of Free on Amazon Kindle - Harness the power of free promotions to increase visibility and turbo-charge sales using KDP Select
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 24 July 2013
This saved me hours, possibly days of research, so from that perspective I thought it worthwhile. I'm just getting started so its a little hard to judge the advice - but so far, so good.

Philips 9W (40W) B22 A60 Warm White LED Light Bulb
Philips 9W (40W) B22 A60 Warm White LED Light Bulb
Offered by zinkic
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement for fluorescent, 2 Dec 2012
Because incandescent bulbs have become almost impossible to buy, and in any case have a very short lifetime, most of our household lights were fluorescent bulbs. Although I've used fluorescent's for many years, I've never much liked them. They are bulky - often extending beyond a shade intended for the ordinary incandescent bulb. They fade over time becoming dimmer and dimmer. If they get broken they have to be cleaned up carefully because of the mercury inside.

About a year ago I started replacing one or two a month with LED bulbs. You have to experiment with brands and models because the colour can vary from a clinical white glare to an almost glowing pink. I settled on these because they give out a warm light with an almost cosy feel to it. The bulb seems to fit all of our existing shades without protruding and so far there has been no sign of dimming or fault with any of them.

Our electricity bill has become noticeably smaller too. Although bulbs using LEDs are really quite expensive at the moment, my estimate is that they will have paid for themselves within a few years. I give them a four rather than a five simply on the basis of cost and the fact that I actually have no idea what their practical lifetime is. If I could get more than five year's use from a bulb I'd certainly rate these a five.

Wulf the Saxon A Story of the Norman Conquest
Wulf the Saxon A Story of the Norman Conquest
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Boy's Own Comedy Gold, 31 Oct 2012
Hilarious.
See Wulf, brave Thane of Steyning at the Battle of Hastings. On the wrong side.
Less historically accurate than 'The Tudors' on TV.
Must be read to be believed with your irony booster switched to max.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2013 4:14 PM BST

The Apocalypse Codex: Number 4 in The Laundry Files
The Apocalypse Codex: Number 4 in The Laundry Files
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars An awful warning, 12 July 2012
If you you have any involvement in IT at all, you will probably have developed some notion of the terrifying horrors that lurk behind the monitor. This book, leaked somehow from the bowels of the 'Laundry', reveals the truth. To paraphrase the man, if you gaze into the void, the void gazes back also. If you cast into the void you either get a seg fault or whatever passing nameless horror, demon, or elder god that your dangling pointer happens to latch onto.

Highly recommended, although there's a reasonable chance that your soul will be eaten while reading.

Essential iOS Build and Release: A Comprehensive Guide to Building, Packaging, and Distribution
by Ron Roche
Price: 7.72

5.0 out of 5 stars More than helpful, 26 Jun 2012
I'm a developer with years of experience behind me, most technical situations don't bother me. getting an App properly built and distributed via the App store was an exception to that! I spent several days frantic googling, reading through Apple's guides, and then reading them again, looking for other people's experience with the process etc. The process is complex and requires a good understanding of bundles, App IDs, certificates, provisioning and so on. Then I had the good fortune to stumble across this book.

I managed to get my App packaged and submitted in a few hours.

Highly recommended.

Watermelons: How Environmentalists are Killing the Planet, Destroying the Economy and Stealing Your Children's Future
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Subversive Literature, 3 Mar 2012
In a previous age, James Delingpole would probably have been convicted of seditious libel, for writing a book this embarrassing to the UK and international establishment. In our own age, he puts up with regular attacks via social media and an occasional on camera ambushing by the great and the good.

The book itself is an easy read, and although somewhat polemical in nature it makes a number - in fact a very great number, of serious points about the politics behind the idea of Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW). The main theme is that the concept of AGW has been used by sinister forces to obtain political and monetary advantage over the last few decades, and that those forces are not giving up even if the evidence is beginning to look shaky. He then produces an enormous amount of referenced information to back this contention up.

If you happen to believe that AGW is a real and pressing problem, this book will be an uncomfortable read and you may be led to re-examine your views. If you fall on the other side of the argument, the book goes into some of the political background in highly readable way. If you couldn't care one way or the other, the book will outline why perhaps you should care. Recommended.