Profile for A. Brooks > Reviews

Content by A. Brooks

A. Brooks "owner of far too many gadgets" (Buried under a pile of credit card statements)

Sony Walkman NWZ-S639FR 16GB Drag & Drop MP4 Video Player with FM Tuner - Red
Sony Walkman NWZ-S639FR 16GB Drag & Drop MP4 Video Player with FM Tuner - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to an ipod, 25 Feb. 2009
I purchased this about a month ago, and I have to say I'm very pleased with it. It was easy to use straight from the box, the controls are very straight forward and intuitive and I was loading cds onto it within minutes.

I'm not mad on the colour - but as the red one was significantly cheaper than the black or silver one, I'm not going to complain. The headphones work really well once you find the correct size earpiece, which are included in the box. They are far superior to the rubbish ones bundled with ipods. The unit itself is very light and small. I carry mine in my top pocket at work for illicit musical interludes to break up the day and it's barely noticeable.

I love the drag and drop facility, although occasionally this does mean that the ID tag doesn't work and you end up with a lot of 'unknown' songs. The best way around this if you are a pc user is to load all your music into Windows Media Player and then transfer it over to the Walkman. You can also create playlists in WMP although I find the intelligent shuffle and SensMe Channels work pretty well.

I haven't tried uploading any videos onto the Walkman yet, but judging by the quality of the pre-loaded ones they'd be perfectly viewable, if a little tiring on the eyes due to the screen size. I don't think these are really meant to be used as video players as a primary function. They'd be fine for the odd music video or a short cartoon but I wouldn't want to watch anything longer than 10 minutes on it. Having said that, the screen seems very good. There are preloaded music videos on the Walkman, although I've got rid of most of them to make room for more music.

Overall, I'm really impressed with this Walkman. The 16Gb is plenty for most people. I also own an 80Gb ipod and there is so much free space on it, despite uploading thousands of songs and videos. This player is more convenient to carry and the drag and drop is a doddle to use. My main gripe with the ipods is having to use itunes, which I hate personally. By using Windows Media Player, I can quickly decide on the bitrate of the mp3s I upload and get them all tagged correctly. I can make playlists and easily delete/ remove any music I no longer want.

The ipod nano is truly a beautiful piece of kit, but if you are looking for substance over style, check out the Sony mp3 Walkman range.