Profile for E. Hardy > Reviews

Content by E. Hardy

E. Hardy

H2D Wide Professional Hair Straighteners
H2D Wide Professional Hair Straighteners

5.0 out of 5 stars These are great straighteners so I was disappointed when there appeared to ..., 22 April 2016
These are great straighteners so I was disappointed when there appeared to be a loose connection making them a bit unreliable after 6 months. Amazon didnt want to know, so I returned them to the manufacturer. A brand new set appeared on my doorstep 48 hours later. Phenomenal service.

Boyhood Island: My Struggle Book 3 (Knausgaard)
Boyhood Island: My Struggle Book 3 (Knausgaard)
by Karl Ove Knausgaard

5.0 out of 5 stars Three dimensional emotional sensation, 12 Oct. 2015
Most of the reviews of Knausgaards narratives use the words empathy or 'relating to'. Many books deserve these testimonies, but I think that Knausgaard's writing is more sophisticated and intriguing than just this. The reader actually becomes him, and in this respect, the book becomes strangely three dimensional. The reader hears what the writer hears, sees what he sees, but more importantly feels what he feels as if he occupied the exact same space in the exact same time as Knausguaard describes. I am quite widely read and I have never before had this experience when reading a book.
I realise that I have thus far said nothing about the content of the book. It is about the period of his boyhood, growing up on a Norwegian island, just living through an everyday childhood. He has a severe and abusive father who certainly colours his experiences, but I cant help wondering if the large space that descriptions of his fathers brutality occupy in the book represent the actual times he was cruel; in the same way that his mother is depicted as the epitome of sweetness, despite the evidence that she stood by and watched as her children lived in terror of their father.
I dont doubt that Knausgaards father's brutality diminished his child's confidence and spawned a self hate in him; for this is what the book is really about, male shame. For all the critisism levelled against Knausgaard for exposing his family and his friends, the person who is so, painfully and rawly exposed by his writing is himself. This, I am sure, is where the fascination for these books really lies. It is also a reminder for those of us who also grew up in the 1970s and 80s of the richness that is found in a childhood where we ran wild, developed distinct personalities and had the opportunity to make and learn from our own mistakes.

Another Mother's Son
Another Mother's Son

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant tale, 31 Aug. 2015
Lorna is a divorced mother of teenaged sons who don't communicate with her. Ewan who has dropped out of university and remains depressed in his room, Oliver away in his first year at uni and Ross in the lower 6th and in the words of a typical school report is giving 'cause for concern'. Their father has outgrown them all and reinvented himself with a younger woman and now a new baby son, making an occasional visit in his trendy attire whilst leaving Lorna to shoulder the burden. And, this is what this book is about, the unconditional love of a mother who remembers the joy of her children's childhoods, when she was the sun around which they orbited, like satellites.
Lornas concern for her sons permeates her being like rising damp, whilst she continues to work as an archivist in central London, and fulfil the utterly thankless tasks of raising these boys and supporting her widowed father. She no longer expects a response to her questions, but she keeps asking anyway.
Teenagers can be hard to love; the fulcrum of given and received love between a teen and their mother can tip obscenely in favour of the child, leaving the mother gasping for any form of appreciation. Fathers do not carry the burden of the Herculean effort of supporting this situation.
Lorna has no self pity and she keeps darker fears to the back of her mind whilst administering her care and trying not to scream out loud.

Skagen Ladies Stainless Steel Watch - 233XSGG
Skagen Ladies Stainless Steel Watch - 233XSGG

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this Product, 16 July 2015
I do not recommend this product. Despite being a lovely watch, mine stopped working within 3 months of purchase and the British Watch Company patronisingly advised me to get another battery.

I have no idea if the fact that this watch stopped working is to do with a ludicrously short battery life. It is the job of the company to check this for me free of charge and resolve it.

I bought a similar watch for my daughter which IS within guarantee. I must sent it back immediately and ask for a refund with this appalling customer service which amounts to no guarantee at all

Daughter
Daughter
by Jane Shemilt

4.0 out of 5 stars like Jenny, I have been and still am a ..., 27 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Daughter (Paperback)
Daughter is totally absorbing and has the reader guessing to the last few pages. I resonated with me as I am sure it did with every mother of teenage daughters; particularly as, like Jenny, I have been and still am a working, professional mother.
Might one of my daughters feel toward me as Naomi feet towards her mother? I dont know. Is it a singularly middle class phenomena, that children who have every life advantage can find reasons, like Jenny's children to be dissatisfied with their parents' role?Then, I would argue that it is the role of the parent to ride the storm of the narcistic teenage brain and not accept the guilt unreservedly.
I have really enjoyed this book because it has made me think about my own relationship with my family. I would have sussed out the unfaithful husband a mile off I suspect, but I will try harder to listen to my children and not talk at them.

GCSE Modern World History for Edexcel: The era of the Cold War 1943-1991: International Relations 1945-1991
by Steve Waugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 29 May 2012
I love this book, I have to use it to study for my modern history GCSE and although the topic has to cover a vast expanse of knowledge this book really helps you do it.
The book has pictures graphs and easy bullet point that really help you learn,I really recommend this product.

A Fine Balance
A Fine Balance
by Rohinton Mistry

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Balance, 20 May 2006
This review is from: A Fine Balance (Paperback)
This is a truly great book. It chronicles the story of 4 individuals from very different sectors of the Indian Caste system.

Not only does it accurately portray the political and social situation in India in the 1970s,it reflects the predudices within the upper castes and the fatalistic attitude of the lower castes, formed from their religious beliefs that suffering is their destiny and the reward will be in the afterlife.

This story is overwhelmingly sad and also shocking as the reader can identify the ethical question of human suffering for a possibly laudable goal (in this case it is population control). However, the novel is also uplifting in a peculiar way; that individuals who struggle so hard to exist in appalling conditions can find joy in their lives is humbling. It also allows the reader to identify with the predudices and to see a situation from another side. Maybe at the end of the book, the reader feels that they have grown a little in spirit and have the capacity to be a 'better' person as a result.

For me, the mark of a great book is one that remains with you long after the back page is read. This is such a book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2011 10:50 PM GMT