Profile for Hector Bruce > Reviews

Content by Hector Bruce

Hector Bruce (Leicester)

Page: 1 | 2
Vacu Vin Coffee and Tea Storage Container with Vacuum Pump - Medium, 1.30 Litre, Black
Offered by Fonq stores
Price: 15.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, 11 Jun 2014
Bought this based on the great product reviews when looking for a way to keep my beans fresh. Had it for 2 weeks now having put beans in it the day I got it, opened it today and they are still perfectly fresh, and smell great.

The pump is included, and whilst it does take a bit more work than the electronic alternatives, you can be sure you get a perfect vacuum seal doing it by hand, and it doesn't require buying lots of batteries.

The plastic is a smoky grey colour to help the light affecting the beans, but you can still see them inside.

Also the shape of the container not being perfectly square also helps me as it makes it easy to fill the hopper of my super automatic machine.

Also, so far anyway, the vacuum seems to have kept tight over the two weeks, time will tell how well this keeps up, but as it stands, this is the product you need to store your coffee!

Abco Tech Waterproof Wireless Bluetooth Shower Speaker & Handsfree speakerphone - - Compatible with all Bluetooth Devices, iPhone 5 Siri and All Android devices (Blue)
Offered by Abco Deals UK
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product!, 10 Feb 2014
I bought this to replace a shower radio I had, annoyed at listening to adverts and music I didn't like in the shower and I thought this would be a decent substitute, I was wrong.

This is an amazing product in almost every way possible! Pairing it with your device, in my case my iPhone, is simple. You can play sound from any music app you like, and if you really want to, use it to take phone calls.

There are buttons to control music playback, and a phone button which you can use to accept or reject calls, or double press it to activate Siri, which works brilliantly!

It also sounds superb, much better than the radio it replaces, and louder too!

I've been using it for about 10 mins a day, everyday for two weeks now since charging it up, and it hasn't needed recharging yet.

If I were to be really picky, it'd have been nice to have micro USB for charging instead of the tiny barrel connector, but its far from a deal breaker.

If you're in the market for a waterproof bluetooth speaker, at a great price, this is the one to go for.

(Also, whilst the image shows branding on the product, the one I received was completely blank, much better looking in my opinion)

iRobot Roomba 780 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
iRobot Roomba 780 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
Price: 458.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Like having my own housekeeper, 11 Mar 2012
I purchased my Roomba back in December so figured its been long enough now to give a fair review of the vacuum. You'll have to excuse me if i refer to the vacuum as 'her', due to her female voice we decided to call her 'Rachael Roomba' in the household!

When you get Roomba, in the box you'll get the robot itself, along with two of the 'lighthouses', docking station, ac adapter, remote control, along with two sets of brush bars, filters and the spinning side arm, and the two cleaning tools you can use to maintain the robot. The lighthouses require two C size batteries each, and the remote takes AA batteries, none of which are in the box, so it'd be wise to make sure you have them before Roomba is delivered

The most basic setup would involve pulling the tab out from the battery and putting Roomba on charge, then pressing clean when you wanted to vacuum. You can schedule cleaning to be done automatically though, which I have done, having my Rommba clean my apartment once a day. The scheduling is very flexible, allowing certain days to be missed out and different times to be set per day (i.e setting cleaning later in the day on weekends)

On the front of Roomba is a bumper which she's uses to know when theres an obstacle with infrared sensors so she can detect and follow walls and go around corners. The 700 series also have rubber along the bottom of the bumper instead of just plastic so it won't mark anything. Also using the sensors Roomba detects when objects are ahead and slows down before bumping into them, though it doesn't always work, particularly with feet, but even at 'full speed' she's doesn't go fast enough to cause pain when bumping into you. There are also the edge sensors so she shouldn't fall off stairs, but i don't have any to test it with, I'm sure it works though.

Once you set the scheduling up you can decided if you want to use the lighthouses and where to put them. Lighthouses are small beacons that Roomba detects and uses them to both keep her confined to an area until she has cleaned it for enough time, and to guide her way back to the docking station to charge when done. Whilst there are two in the box, you can use as many as you want. You can also set the lighthouses to just act as virtual walls, which simply block Roomba off from areas. You can also buy just virtual walls which are cheaper if that is all you need. I bought one to stop Roomba going into a part of my living room where fragile items are.

Now I live in a two bedroom apartment with the docking station in the living room/kitchen and the two bedrooms down a hallway, so using the two lighthouses I've placed one outside the doorway leading from my living room to the hallway, then the other in the doorway leading into the master bedroom. Doing it this way, Roomba maps out the apartment as three cleaning areas with the kitchen/living room as one, the hallway and guest bedroom as two, and the master bedroom and ensuite as three, in that order.

I believe the cleaning areas have to be set out in a linear order for Roomba to be able to guide herself back to the docking station, which is back in area one, but you may be able to try out other ways of arranging the lighthouses.

Now you've setup the lighthouses and scheduling, it'd be best if you send her off on her first clean manually and observe her as she goes about the rooms. I did this firstly because I was interested in how she worked, but it'd also be a good idea to see if you need to make any adjustments to the lighthouses and obstacles/wires that may get her stuck. The 780 can untangle itself from wires and carpet tassels fine, but short wires not connected to anything (headphones) or shoe laces can get drawn into the brush bars and cause a jam.

Once you've overseen and 'Roomba-fied' your home, you can just leave it to go about its business. For me, I have to empty the dust bin every 3 days usually, and ill take this time to take the brush bars out and use the cleaning tools on them to get hair off them normally, and thats as far as maintenance goes. If you run Roomba less frequently and/or have pets that shed you will probably have to empty the bin each time its run and clean the brush bars more often. There is an indicator light that tells you when the bin is full so you could just keep it cleaning till it tells you the bin is full.

I have to admit I was skeptical when I purchased Roomba, but I am always amazed at the amount of dirt that is collected even though she is run daily, and have left my dyson in the cupboard since having her, and its always great to come home from work to find the house clean and Roomba happily sat on the station. Also when i am home when she goes out to clean, she's makes far less noise than my dyson does when its on, obviously its still a vacuum so it will make noise, but you can have a conversation whilst she's running and can still hear the doorbell and phone no problem.

There are a couple of small niggles, for one the dust bin could do with being a bit bigger, just so it doesn't have to be emptied as often, and also whilst it looks very nice out of the box, mine has got scuffed and the glossy touch panel on top has got scratched, mainly from going under my bed and tables, but these are only cosmetic and don't affect operation at all. Also for the most part you do have to keep the floor clear of 'stuff' so you don't come home to find Roomba stuck in the middle of a room, but its made me be more tidy, so that can't be a bad thing!

Sorry this has been a very long review, but I think I've covered all the features and what living with Roomba is like. In summary though its a brilliant robot and has made my life a lot easier!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2013 7:26 PM GMT

ICF-S79W AM/FM/Weather Band Digital Tuner Shower Radio
ICF-S79W AM/FM/Weather Band Digital Tuner Shower Radio
Offered by Smith & Co
Price: 33.15

4.0 out of 5 stars My first shower radio that actually works, 7 Sep 2011
I have had shower radios in the past but they have never come anywhere near useful and after looking at a lot of options I went with this one.

Now I only listen to FM radio so I haven't been bothered with the issue with the AM band ( though I am still puzzled as to why amazon don't sell the correct model for the UK.)

That aside the FM tuner works great considering how enclosed my shower room is and the speaker is plenty loud enough for me.

I've also paired it with a Griffin iTrip fm transmitter to allow me to listen to my own music in the shower if I wish.

Hoping this radio lasts a long time!

Samsung CY-SWC1000A 3D Glasses Wireless Charger
Samsung CY-SWC1000A 3D Glasses Wireless Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect companion to rechargeable glasses, 7 Sep 2011
The setup and use of the charger is super simple. Just plug it in and place the glasses on the charger to charge.

There are many ways you can place multiple pairs of glasses to charge and it is easy with two pairs, it may be a bit more of a balancing act with the maximum four pairs though.

All in all a lovely addition to my 3D setup making it all really easy to use.

Samsung SSG-3300GR 3D Glasses Rechargable Battery - Adult
Samsung SSG-3300GR 3D Glasses Rechargable Battery - Adult
Offered by ELEPHAS TRADE
Price: 29.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and perfect with wireless charger., 7 Sep 2011
I bought two pairs of these glasses to go with two pairs of the 3100's. They work very well and fit nicely. I have worn them for 4 hours at a time and they don't get uncomfy on me (you may get marks on your nose though) you can also change the nose peice to accommodate a pair of reading glasses behind them.

I also bought the wireless charging station and it makes the whole operation seamless considering the glasses turn themselves on and off automatically as you just have to put them on the charger and leave them to it.

The 3100's are solely for guests now!

Panasonic KX-TG8522EB DECT Twin Digital Cordless Phone Set with Answer Machine - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A great upgrade, and backwards compatible., 17 Aug 2010
I bought these to replace my old Panasonic phones which aren't quite a new as they were 5 years ago, and theres not that much to say about them. They make calls fine, and the sound quality on both earpiece and speakerphone is better than the older handsets, and the colour screen, big keys and sleek design are nice modern touches.

I must say though to get the most out of the features on the phones you do need to have caller display active on your phone line, but quite a few of the phone companies have this for free as options.

The call barring feature is also useful for those constant nuisance calls you get from time to time.

What is also really great is because the older set of phones I had was a three handset bundle, I decided to try and register one of the old handsets to the new base station, and it worked flawlessly, and i now have one older handset in an area of the house i don't use as much, but i could register all three and have five alltogether but thats slightly overkill.

All in all a great product from Panasonic once again, and i hope these last at least the 5 years the previous ones did!

UPDATE: its been a couple of weeks since i've had these handsets and i've noticed one strange thing, on the 4 way navigation key there are markings telling you what each direction does. These seem to have `rubbed' off completely now. Its not a big issue at all as its purely cosmetic, but still strange all the same!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2013 11:00 AM BST

Western Digital 1.5TB USB 2.0 MyBook Studio External Hard Drive with FireWire 800

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal partner to any Mac, 10 May 2010
I bought this hard drive to replace an ageing iOmega USB drive I was using to store all my video footage. Out of the box it is plug and play (you get all the cable's you need in the box) and transferring files over firewire 800 was a nice speedy change from before, and whereas trying to playback my footage in Final Cut before would result in dropped frames due to slower transfer rates everything plays smoothly now.

I'm going to guess the drive i got came with a new version of the software on it as after i'd installed it the virtual CD won't mount unless i tell it to and it just seems to sit there and work away. You can change the amount of time until the drive goes to sleep in the software (or set it to never sleep if you wish) and the activity light isn't as annoying as i thought it might be in a dark room.

The only thing I've found is that if the drive goes to sleep and you sleep your Mac, on wake up the drive doesn't mount, but pressing the power button on the back or using the software to mount the drives gets it back.

Overall a great little hard drive, and i'll be buying more when this one gets full!

Philips Imageo 69108/35/PU LED Rechargeable Candle Lights - Blue
Philips Imageo 69108/35/PU LED Rechargeable Candle Lights - Blue
Offered by PremiumBrands-4-Less
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all sorts of uses., 14 July 2009
I bought two sets of these (one red, one blue) via the Amazon offer, and i think they're brilliant. As others have said, they don't really provide enough light to read by, especially as they're coloured, but work great for just having a little mood lighting as it were. I have the red ones in my bedroom and leave them on overnight when i sleep. The batteries last an age in them, not done any timed tests, but i can go for a couple of days before they run out, with leaving them on all night both nights and most of the evenings. Take into account it can take up to 12 hours to fully charge them though.

They're also great for using in the bathroom, as they charge by induction (like an electric toothbrush) they have no exposed electrical components, and i use all 6 to create a very relaxing mood.

The only gripe i can think of is how long it takes to fully charge the candles, apart from that a great product that's much safer and in the long run cheaper then conventional candles.

I've also uploaded some photos of the candles as the colours on the site are a bit brighter and pastel like than the candles really are.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2010 11:16 AM GMT

Apple iPod shuffle 2GB Silver
Apple iPod shuffle 2GB Silver
Offered by Fonz Mania
Price: 67.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Shuffle it up!, 18 Oct 2008
I got given one of these (the blue 2Gb one to be precise) completely out of the blue. I didn't ask for one and would not have planned to buy one out of choice, but I thought i's give it a spin, how fun it is!

I've got over 37Gb of music on iTunes, and currently have a 1st gen Ipod touch, but seeing as it was free, it'd be a nice addition to the collection. Plugged it in, set it up, hit autofill, done!

Its that easy, as I like all typs of music, I don't mind what's being thrown on, and its so so tiny! Its ideal for me to walk to lectures with as its only about 15mins, and its small enough to easily fit in my pocket.

Soundwise I can't see much of a difference to my iPod touch, only thing is it doesn't deliver as much bass, apart from that I find it fine.

Ok, it doesn't have a screen, but its purely for music, and if you like listening to particular songs or albums, this might not be for you (however, I just put the songs I really like at the top of the playlist, flick it to un-shuffle and hit play 3 times, sorted!)

Now i'm just finding how creative I can get at clipping it on me!

Page: 1 | 2