Profile for S. Berger > Reviews

Content by S. Berger

S. Berger "samtberg" (Bristol, UK)

eimo (TM) Unique Handmade Natural Wood Wooden Hard bamboo Case Cover for iPhone 5 with free screen protector(walnut)
Offered by eimo

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks Great But Deteriorates, 11 July 2013
Bought this case around 6 months ago - firstly, it looks great and is certainly different to the usual plasticky cases. However, it being wood it is not as impervious to damage as plastic and it certainly has deteriorated over the months I've had it - in particular where holes have been tooled and therein there are thin pieces of wood (lock button, speakers, etc) it does have a tendency to eventually break and fall away. I now have two holes in the case and probably need a new case.

Would I buy another one of these? I probably would - although it's not indestructible it is nice enough to warrant another one (albeit a little pricey).

If you're after a tank-like protector for your phone, don't buy this. If you want something a bit different and stylish, do.

Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files v. 1
Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files v. 1
by John Wagner

3.0 out of 5 stars Shaky Beginnings..., 17 May 2012
I'm pretty au fait with later Dredd works, but thought it would be interesting to go back and check out some of the earlier stuff and...well...it's not that great. I'd say it's analogous to something like very early Simpsons where, you recognise the characters but it just hasn't quite got the oomph to it yet. Evidently the creative team were still finding their feet, and were probably all pretty young themselves and needed to mature.

This stuff is relatively old - the late 70s - and it's worth remembering this when reading it. Think of 'The Dark Night Returns', then look back at some of the 50s and 60s Batmans, they're very different from a different time.

If I could give half stars I'd probably actually give this 2.5. All that said, there are some entertaining stories here and is well worth a look if you're interesting in the beginnings of a classic character!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2012 11:31 PM GMT

Agony and Irony
Agony and Irony

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear..., 4 July 2008
This review is from: Agony and Irony (Audio CD)
Well, I was kind of looking forward to this album. There last few have been mediocre, but we're all allowed a few off days from time to time, right? Unfortunately, wrong. From the band that brought us the greatness of their eponymous debut, 'Goddamit', 'Maybe I'll Catch Fire' and 'From Here To Infirmary' comes an album of MOR and highly disappointing tunes. If you've heard this band is good, don't buy this album - it isn't. Maybe these guys are chilling out with age, but it doesn't translate to their music - gone is the aggression, the verve and the humour of their previous releases. In short, this album is instantly forgettable - generic, uninspired and perhaps the death-nail in a once fantastic band.

MAXTOR ONETOUCH 4 500GB External Hard Drive 3.5" 7200RPM 16MB USB2.0
MAXTOR ONETOUCH 4 500GB External Hard Drive 3.5" 7200RPM 16MB USB2.0

1.0 out of 5 stars Um...no, 14 Feb. 2008
I've got to agree with all the other bad reviews on this product. I'm now on my second Maxtor OneTouch, and think I need to give it OneKick. My first unit died after about a week, whereafter I took the damn thing back to the shop and was given another. This started out fine and I spent WAY TOO MANY hours burning my whole CD collection onto it (about 160GB). Then, lo and behold, the thing has died on me again.

I've contacted technical support who are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle, and will now be changing this for another product that does not bear the Maxtor or Seagate name.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2008 11:03 AM BST

Poems, Performance Pieces, Proses, Plays, Poetics (Border Lines: Works in Translation)
by Pierre Joris

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Dada Craziness, 3 Oct. 2000
This colection of Schwitters' plays, poems and Ursonata is a joy. For anyone interested in the dada movement it is also a great starting point. With information about the man himself and the movement it is both informative, educational and, most importantly extrremely entertaining.
A must for anyone interested in alternative art, theatre, poetry and music.

Amplified
Amplified
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad - quite good actually!, 29 Feb. 2000
This review is from: Amplified (Audio CD)
I see the two other reviewers of this album, seem a little dissatisfied with the album's sound. Rubbish! This is an extremely original sounding album - it's not 'phat', it's not some annoying staccato rhythm Puffy Daddy pants; in fact, what it is is hard to put one's finger on. This is its joy. One gets a lot of really nice ascending, aeroplane noises, tunes which produced by another would be hardcore, but instead are rough jazz. I don't care what the others say this album is GOOD! Not brilliant, not classic, but it's worth listening to just to hear how one of the Tribe exists outside the confines of his old crew. Rock on!