Profile for John A > Reviews

Your Future Our Clutter
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.67

5.0 out of 5 stars worm, worm WORMwormwormworm, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Your Future Our Clutter (Audio CD)
Quite different to the last album (also one of their best) - these songs have less of the comic grumpy-old-man and more of a sense of wonder. Their is still a lot of humour here, but after Imperial Wax Solvent I didn't expect the singing to as pure and full of emotion as this; the music is inventive and powerful. The reviewer of this album in the M.E.N. was a least honest enough to admit that he didn't really get it and that that he thought this was pretty extreme stuff for hardened fans only; I completely disagree - this is bound to intrigue people and draw them in. For me Mexico Wax Solvent and Weather Report 2 are the stand-out tracks, but this an album without a bad track. If you have this album already and are looking other recommended Fall albums I would suggest The Unutterable, The Light User Syndrome, The Wonderful & Frightening World of the Fall, Imperial Wax Solvent and Hex Enduction Hour- all of these are five star from beginning to end; also the live album A Part of America Therein which has some hard-hitting rants and a beautiful version of "Winter".

The Long Dry
The Long Dry
by Cynan Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves to be a slow-burner, 6 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Long Dry (Paperback)
I often try to get into the work of highly-rated comtemporary authors, usually it a complete anti-climax. The main reason for this is that I feel that the only reason they wrote the book is that they have a talent for creative writing and just do it out of habit. Finding an honest and tough little book like this makes trawling through all the mediocre stuff worthwhile. The central theme of the book is mankind's general ability to keep going despite the troubles and even tragedies we have to contend with. Although occassionally shocking, this is not a depressing book; if the world is often mad and cruel then we have an in-built mad stubborness to carry us through in the hope of better times. Possibly there are a couple of easy targets for criticism here, if that is you're agenda; but I felt that the characters and author of this book made space for it to be a slightly idiosynchratic piece of work because it communicates to the reader so directly. Again possibly younger readers (under 25ish say) will not relate to this book, as in my experience these kind of troubles and responsibilities seem to press on us more in middle-age. This book does not offer any glimpse of a Utopia away from these everyday trials, but an act of creation can be a roundabout way of praising life in despite of everything.So overall although not the type of book I would want to read exclusively, if I only had to pick one book dealing with this subject I would have no qualms in having this one.

Circumnavigation
Circumnavigation
by Jane Routh

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite collection of recent years..., 23 Sep 2008
This review is from: Circumnavigation (Paperback)
This book is my favourite contemporary poetry. I first read it about 3 years ago and there is no let-up in my captivation by it. What I find exciting about this work is the way that it makes me feel that I am dis-embodied in some isolated rural location, eavesdropping on the poet's thoughts. Here Jane Routh is often either questioning herself, or addressing someone who is not present ( an ex- or absent love), somehow giving the effect of "crossed-lines" in consciousness. In the sequence "Signal Flags" and elsewhere, signals across the sea are used as a metaphor for the doubtful possibility of ever communicating our inmost selves truly. In this it reminds me of my favourite poet Hart Crane. Although I would concede to those who put a premimum on novelty that neither the subject matter nor the writing-style of Circumnavigation is one-off original, I like the fact that it is a voice that seems familiar, like a favourite aunt's and speaks of things that often flare up to preoccupy us: loss, memories and isolaton; in a way that is vivid and invigorating as if overheard out under the stars amid a dark landscape.