Profile for Mr. Russell A. Thomas > Reviews

Content by Mr. Russell A....

Mr. Russell A. Thomas (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Samsung Galaxy S4 Premium Cover - White
Samsung Galaxy S4 Premium Cover - White
Offered by Handyparadise UK (Tax included)
Price: 10.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit item., 18 April 2014
I should have read the feedback or product review before buying the item. I thought the price was low, but when you have many items in stock and claiming the item is made by samsung then I assumed that it was the real deal...

Silly me!

The box looks like the real deal, but if you look on the side you see the spacing has gone all 'fortune-cookie' - the real gold is the instruction manual - proper gibberish. The cover has strange lumps in it and the window goes all askew. Also, the colour is not white but a dirty white. Lastly the Samsung logo is not raised...

So in the hope of being clear and preventing someone from making the same mistake I did, don't buy this product. Unless you want a poor imitation of the real deal.

It's a shame that Amazon allows these to be sold - it is quite clear that this has been a problem for a while. You would think they would quit selling this junk - isn't it illegal to deal in dodgy counterfeit stuff?

Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red
Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red
Offered by Apple Gear
Price: 34.48

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT PRO DJ HEADPHONES, BUT GOOD PORTABLE AUDIO CANS., 24 Jan 2014
These are NOT DJ headphones! They are dj style. I bought these thinking they were proper dj headphones, and they can be used for dj work, like any headphones, but these are really not suitable for any professional use. The cord is far too short and thin, the plug is the mini one, and there is no adapter to 1/4 inch.

They sound great, and would be fine for portable audio, but not for pro dj use.

Tetra Tec Ex 700 External Filter
Tetra Tec Ex 700 External Filter
Offered by The Aquahut
Price: 72.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good filter, some minor issues though, 2 Jun 2013
Been running the filter for a bit now and it is a great product. The quality is very good.

Pros:
Fits in my aquarium cabinet (Juwel vision 180)
Very quiet, and I mean nearly silent!
Plenty of kit comes with it including filter media
Hoses are long enough
Priming button, so no siphon shenanigans
Only uses a small amount of electricity
Good water output
Clears up water quickly and effectively
So good, I'm buying a second one!

Cons:
There was a tiny leak where the hose meets the filter, it has disappeared but it was a bit worrying in the beginning
The priming button was a bit fiddly, took more presses than they say in the manual
If you get an air lock, it gets noisy but a good shake and the bubble goes away and water flows smoothly

Overall this is a filter I recommend. It's sturdy and solid enough. The instructions were a bit vague but I figured stuff out pretty quickly. That minor leak was a bit concerning, but that has disappeared. Tetras customer service was efficient, so no qualms there. Make sure you check your hoses, I think I might have caused my leak by not getting the hose on right.

Go for it! Make sure you assemble the filter slowly and carefully!

Finest-Filters 2 Metre Roll of 12-15mm Filter Wool / Floss for Aquarium and Pond Filters
Offered by Finest Filters
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab! Will last for ages., 2 Jun 2013
Not much to say here. The floss is fantastic. Of course you will need to cut it to size. I have a TetraTec EX700 and it was a simple job to do. I folded the fabric over so doubled the thickness and my water looks great and polished. This stuff is gonna last for years!

Highly recommended. Save some wonga over buying the brand name filter pads. Unless you can't use scissors of course.

Pettex Roman Jet Black Gravel 8 kg
Pettex Roman Jet Black Gravel 8 kg
Price: 11.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this stuff!, 2 Jun 2013
This gravels is fantastic. The grain size is perfect for planted tanks, the black colour does show poo a bit more, but the contrast between the black and plants is gorgeous. Plus the fish pop out a lot more, compared to when you have lighter gravel which seems to drain colour from them.

I bought 2 bags (16kg) for my 180ltr Juwel tank. That's not quite enough but I also used a layer of moler clay below the gravel, so if you just use this gravel, make sure you order enough.

The resin hasn't faded, and I don't expect it to. It didn't tint my water either. The grain size is also good for bottom dwellers, no sharp edges.

Very happy with the gravel and I recommend it without hesitation.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Perfect for my fish tank., 2 Jun 2013
I needed more sockets, yet again. Funny how being a gadget junkie makes you run out of mains sockets far too often, and my new aquarium certainly is taking up valuable space on my 6 gang lead.

So, I came across this item. It's pretty good. Does what it is supposed to, and the fact you can individually switch off each outlet is a godsend. The cord is long enough for my needs. Delivery was fairy good, right in the middle of the estimate.

I do have a small gripe with this item in that it feels a tiny bit cheap/flimsy. As I am not tossing it around I don't think it will be an issue. The plastic seems a little lightweight, I was expecting a bit more solidity.

You can wall mount it if needed. I would suggest that you do this so you don't bash it about.

For my aquatic needs, this item is great. I don't recommend this item for high value electronics, but for filters, heaters, lights etc its perfectly suitable.

Lloytron A1201 7 Day Digital Mains Plug Socket Economy Security Timer Lamps Etc
Lloytron A1201 7 Day Digital Mains Plug Socket Economy Security Timer Lamps Etc

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, 27 May 2013
I have had this timer running my aquarium lighting and I was wary of accuracy as I have read bad reviews about other similar items.

Surprisingly, this one is a winner! One month in and no problems. I did think I had a dud at first, but when you hit the reset button, the timer came to life and after a little hair pulling, it was programmed.

I would award 5*'s but the programming is a bit annoying. But accuracy has been good, and the rechargeable/backup battery works very well.

Recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bulbs - good deal too!, 27 May 2013
I got these for my 180L Juwel Vision tank - the ones that came with it were on their way out (I bought the tank secondhand).

My first impression of these bulbs was not very good - they seemed a little 'pink' for my tastes. Fortunately, after a few days of use the phosphors have settled down and the colour is perfect for my planted tank. Now, my planted tank may not be up to scratch (I'm no aquascaper) but the light output is very good - the plants are taking off. I am using reflectors, so keep that in mind.

Packaging was great, shipping was fast. Great company to boot! I am considering another one of their products as I was highly impressed. The multi-buy deal was an excellent addition as well! Bargain and well recommended.

Hydor Koralia Nano 1600 Circulation and Wave Pump
Hydor Koralia Nano 1600 Circulation and Wave Pump
Offered by aquacadabra
Price: 27.90

3.0 out of 5 stars good flow - but vibration noise is annoying., 4 May 2013
I needed a circulation pump for my 180Ltr Juwel Vision tank. I am going the planted route with heavy water movement and this tiny item fits the bill. Easy to install with the suction cup/magnetic feature. Sadly I have two issues with it....

1) The mains cord is rather short - may or may not be an issue for you.
2) The pump is noisy! I believe this to be vibration noise but it is annoying as I have my aquarium next to my bed. Moving it around a bit does help alleviate this a little, but the noise is still there. I am going to experiment a bit to see if I can add anything that can dampen the noise (maybe some thin cloth/felt) - will update if this works.

The pump is good, the angling options are 'meh' but are not an issue for me as I have pointed it head on to the front of my tank from the back. Flow is definitely there, and it isn't a washing machine effect - so it is a smooth flow. The cord length is a bit too short and the vibration noise is definitely the faults that are not making me super happy. Hopefully my mod with felt will fix this issue.

I think 3.5*s is fair considering the bugs I have with it. Maybe in a different setup this wont be much of an issue.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2013 5:08 PM BST

WMA Digital LCD Fish Aquarium Marine Vivarium Thermometer -50C to 70 C
WMA Digital LCD Fish Aquarium Marine Vivarium Thermometer -50C to 70 C
Offered by Buyin-now-UK
Price: 1.39

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5*s - the thermometer works but I question accuracy..., 29 April 2013
I needed this thermometer for my aquarium as those LCD ones are a bit iffy when you cant tell the temperature on them (you know what I am yabbering about - where the green bit is between temps).

For 2.50 this item should work. I wasn't expecting a diamond-studded solid gold thermometer, and I definitely didn't get one. However, the build is squishy. The switch from Celsius to Fahrenheit is solid enough, but the power button is like poking Spongebob Squarepants on a rather bloated & soggy day... As much as I pressed it I was unable to turn it off.

For accuracy, I am a bit iffy on that. I have an Oregon Scientific indoor therm that is quite accurate. I placed the probe from the thermometer next to the Oregon Scientific one and there was a 1 degree plus discrepancy. Sooo, either my cheapo aquarium thermometer is a bit off or my rather pricey O.S. has gone a bit fritzy.

The cord from the display to the probe is a little bit shorter than I would like, but it is sufficient on a Juwel Vision 180 to run the display in the bottom left and have the probe placed in the middle (but if you do what I have done, you will see the wires if you do not have a background. Also the cord feels a bit flimsy. Don't go yanking it around.)

You get two suction cups to mount the display and the probe. They work just fine!

If you are looking for scientific accuracy I might suggest you look for a better model. If you need a 'general' temp with some swings in accuracy you could spend more and get the same item. Also, mine was delivered from Hong Kong and it arrived WAAAY before estimated delivery date. Not the best 2.50 I have ever spent, but certainly not the worst. I would go for it, just beware of the rather wimpy quality and 1.5C inaccuracy...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11