Profile for Eamonn McGonigle > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Ion Multiformat Slide and Photo Film Scanner to SD Card
Ion Multiformat Slide and Photo Film Scanner to SD Card

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful picture quality, 8 Oct. 2015
The quality of the pictures - either from photos or from negatives - produced by this is truly dreadful. Only barely suitable for throw-away social-media uploads and nowhere close to suitable for preserving treasured memories. I returned this and bought an Epson V370 flatbed scanner instead. The results from the Epson (which has a negative/slide scanner facility) are dramatically better and it cost less money. To be fair, the flatbed scanner is much slower and much less convenient (you need a computer to control it) but, for me, the quality of the output trumps these minuses by far.

Hercules HA300 Tab Grab Tablet Holder for Music Stand
Hercules HA300 Tab Grab Tablet Holder for Music Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tablet holder, but slightly skeptical about smaller tablet sizes, 22 Sept. 2015
This is well constructed from what seem to be quality materials. Having three separate attachment options (clamp to a mic stand, attach to the top of a mic stand on the standard screw fitting or propped up on a desk/table) is nice and all of the attachments seem rugged. The ball-joint that allows the position and orientation of the tablet to be set is also excellent.

I'm not too sure about the claim that it will hold tablets from 8.9" upwards: I use a Google Nexus 9 which is only barely wide enough to fit between the two corner slots. I worked around it by putting a piece U-channel plastic from B&Q the full width between the two corners and sitting the tablet into that. This solution works great but I wouldn't have trusted the 9" tablet to stay in place without that extra support. On the other hand, with the addition of that full-width channel I have used this stand with a 7" tablet and it worked great. I have no doubt that a 10" tablet would sit securely into this stand without any problems.

All in all, an excellent piece of kit.

Topeak Aero Wedge Strap Mount Seat Pack - Black/Silver, Medium
Topeak Aero Wedge Strap Mount Seat Pack - Black/Silver, Medium
Offered by Sigma Sport, Kingston

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice option for saddles that can't take an attachment for ..., 16 Aug. 2015
A nice option for saddles that can't take an attachment for a "normal" saddle-bag. Snaps on and off very quickly and easily and holds on well. I have been using one on a daily basis for years now and it is still as good as new, so I can attest to its quality.

Adafruit PCB 6" Ruler 15cm
Adafruit PCB 6" Ruler 15cm
Offered by 4tronix

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Jun. 2015
Beautifully made and gratifyingly solid. A lovely thing for any electronics enthusiast to have on the desk.

Totally Wired
Totally Wired
by Andrew Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars A journey through claptrap, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Totally Wired (Paperback)
Actually, I would echo everything said by the (as I write this) only other 2-star reviewer, J. Mcgregor "jiy126". I was expecting a history of the "dotcom" madness of the late 1990s/early 2000s. There is some of that and - to be fair - it is generally interesting and well-written. However, the great bulk of the book is a potted history of Josh Harris and his company called Psuedo (neither of which I had ever heard of, despite the fact that I would regard myself as being fairly plugged into this kind of thing). There is a degree of hero-worship that is very grating (and completely unwarranted, to my mind: Josh Harris' ideas and activities seem to be nothing other than utter clap-trap). I found this book very tedious, hard work and I regard the time I invested in reading it as time wasted. As my fellow 2-star reviewer suggested, do a bit of prior research about Psuedo, Josh Harris and Harris' activities and if (for some reason) you find them interesting then by all means buy the book: it is fairly well written if you don't regard the subject-matter as completely banal.

Peterson Stroboclip Clip On Strobe Tuner
Peterson Stroboclip Clip On Strobe Tuner
Offered by ZeroCero JAPAN (Thank you for visiting us. We will send you popular items with care from japan.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully made and works excellently, 25 Jun. 2013
This is a beautifully engineered tuner that works very well indeed. A true stroboscopic tuner, it works a little differently to more familiar chromatic tuners but quite honestly it is a distinction that hardly intrudes at all when using it. It is very responsive (i.e. locks onto the note almost instantly) and is very accurate. Now that I am used to using this I find other clip-on tuners irritating (too slow to react and to stabilise on a value).

If I had to pick a fault with it at all it is that the automatic power-off isn't very dependable. The tuner is so sensitive that it will pick up and try to tune ambient sounds in the room, even when it isn't clipped onto a guitar. This will prevent it from powering off automatically as you would expect it to do. If you don't remember to manually turn off the tuner when you are done you could chew through batteries pretty quickly.

Basically, I love it: it looks and feels very well made and it does what it is supposed to do better than any other tuner I have ever used.

Casio Men's Wave Ceptor Watch
Casio Men's Wave Ceptor Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, feels comfortable and works well, 11 Mar. 2013
I have had one of these for years now and I love it. To my eye it looks good (although I guess everyone will have to make their own minds up about that). It is comfortable to wear and it does exactly what it is supposed to do. It sets itself from the MSF time signal (or the German DCF77 time signal if you tell it to) every night at midnight, 1am, 2am and 3am. The rest of the time it works as a normal quartz watch. It automatically adjusts for daylight savings time and leap years. The nice black face is also a well-disguised solar cell that charges the internal battery.

The strap on mine broke recently and I thought it was a goner. The strap is specific to this model of watch, moulded to create a seamless transition from the watch body to the strap, so a generic replacement just wasn't going to work. However, it turns out that it is easy to buy a replacement strap as a spare part. 30 seconds on Google and I had a new one on the way.

The "glass" isn't really glass...its acrylic. As such, it is prone to picking up scratches. I got a rather nasty one a few months ago - bad enough to completely ruin the appearance of the watch. I bought a tube of stuff called Displex (available from Amazon) and managed to restore the surface of the watch to near-perfection: the big nasty scratch and all the normal "wear-and-tear" scratches were removed completely.

The usual features are all there (alarm, stopwatch, date, dual-time). There is a backlight for the LCD display which is handy when the luminosity of the analogue display has faded after being in the dark for a while.

Its not cheap for a plastic watch, but the solar power and the knowledge that my watch (or at least the atomic clock that it is synchronised with !) is accurate to +/-1 second in 15,000 years give me a giddy, self-satisfied thrill (and something to lord over Patek Philippe wearers who have to be content with - relatively speaking - a rough guess at the current time !)

Displex Scratch Remover for All Cell Phones/pda/ipod/mp3 Players/psp Lcd Displays.
Offered by FairPrices

5.0 out of 5 stars Restored Casio watch "glass" to near-perfect condition, 11 Mar. 2013
I bought this to polish a nasty scratch out of the "glass" on a Casio Waveceptor watch and it worked better than I dared hope. With just a few minutes of rubbing I managed to completely eliminate a rather nasty scratch. There is absolutely no trace left of it and the surface of the watch now looks like, well, glass.

I also used it to clean up the screen on an old Nokia phone which had a "spot" on it caused by being carried in a handbag with a bunch of keys. This was much more challenging (the mark is rather large and deep) and - so far - the repair isn't perfect, although it has improved it greatly. A bit more elbow-grease should improve things further, I hope.

All in all I'm very impressed. It did exactly what it claimed to do with remarkably little trouble.

Eight Amazing Engineering Stories: Using the Elements to Create Extraordinary Technologies
by Bill Hammack

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and engaging descriptions of eight engineering marvels, 24 Jun. 2012
This book goes hand in hand with the authors' Engineer Guy video series...there is a 5-minute video corresponding to each chapter in the book, with the book treating the matter in much more depth. The videos are well worth checking out also...see[...].

The style of each chapter is to describe the ingenuity that went into creating the thing that is the subject of the chapter. The authors describe the underlying theory and also the practical difficulty of turning that theory into a real "thing". The explanations are for the most part clear and are easy to read. The authors' appreciation for the engineering involved is evident throughout and make the book a pleasure to read.

Highly recommended for anyone who marvels at and can never take for granted things like the idea that our phones can guide us home by picking up signals from atomic clocks in orbit around the earth !

Guitar Man GM11 Clip-on Tuner
Guitar Man GM11 Clip-on Tuner
Offered by EESMusic

2.0 out of 5 stars Irritating to use, 17 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Guitar Man GM11 Clip-on Tuner
Phyically this tuner is well built. I would have preferred a touch-button to switch it on rather than a little slider at the side, but it does automatically power itself off after a short time to save battery, so I can forgive that. However, what I absolutely cannot forgive is that this tuner is very poor at reliably "latching on" to the string you are trying to tune. It just can't seem to make up its mind and hops from one note to another. This is a pity...it spoils what could otherwise be a very nice tuner.

Page: 1 | 2