Profile for Ms. J. Mellor > Reviews

Content by Ms. J. Mellor

Ms. J. Mellor "Jackie" (Leeds, England)

Fun With Spanish
Fun With Spanish

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction but..., 6 Aug 2012
This review is from: Fun With Spanish (MP3 Download)
We got this for a third birthday present, and it was mostly ignored until we spent a couple of weeks in Spain. Now my 3 year old asks for it every time we get in the car. However I get a lot of questions about the words of the Spanish songs which I can't answer. The main problem is that,, while the english children have very clear diction and pronunciation, the Spanish children's is much poorer. It's not possible to tell from the CD what the words are even listening (as we do) over and over again. There is a Spanish commentator who introduces the songs and some phrases, but not all of them. It would really help if there was a set of printed lyrics to come with it so that I can learn the Spanish and pass it on. My daughter is enjoying the cd and has learned to count from 1-10 and recite the Spanish months, which is a great achievement,but we'll never be able to sing along with the songs as there just isn't enough information.

Fourth Year Triumphs at Trebizon
Fourth Year Triumphs at Trebizon

5.0 out of 5 stars Why does the series stop here???, 31 Aug 2011
Rereading this series from the seventies all together on the Kindle - but why has it stopped? How come the rest of the books in the series aren't on Kindle?

Beyond Armageddon II: Empire
Beyond Armageddon II: Empire

3.0 out of 5 stars Better cover than the first book, bit slower inside, but still a good read, 23 Mar 2011
The descriptions of the aliens were very compelling and, well, descriptive. I'm pretty sure that I could recognise a giant skip beetle straight off if confronted by one, and know exactly what to do. This book dragged a bit in places - it felt sometimes like the author was being too overt in setting the scene for whatever is to come in the next book. Also, rather than suddenly finding an illuminating nugget of information, such as how Stonewall came to be where he was, his character "reveal" is literally signposted for ages, and then is a bit of a letdown when it all comes out. I'll buy the next one probably, but hope it picks up a bit.

Beyond Armageddon
Beyond Armageddon

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, different, professional, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: Beyond Armageddon (Kindle Edition)
When I finished reading a Thomas DePrima book and started looking for something else to read, this popped up in my amazon recommendations. Having read the reviews and looked at the price tag I decided to take the chance.

This is an innovative tale with well thought out characters and a pacy style. It left me wanting to immediately read the next one to see what was going to happen. Loved the premise. Bought the next book.

Designated Targets: World War 2.2 (Axis of Time Trilogy 2)
Designated Targets: World War 2.2 (Axis of Time Trilogy 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars I would give this book full marks if it wasn't for the total disrespect given to me as a buyer and reader, 9 Mar 2011
This chap is a talented writer and I have been really glad to discover his books. However I do feel that the shockingly poor attention given to tidying up the copy speaks of his disrespect to me as a buyer. The fact that I still paid money for such poor goods is testament to his writing.

Threatcon Delta: Assault on the Pentagon
Threatcon Delta: Assault on the Pentagon

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining thriller, 9 Jan 2011
I bought this book as I was looking for something fast paced and full of action, and it wasn't disappointing on that count. There were a lot of times in the first few chapters where i wanted to flip back and check who was who. The author introduces a lot of characters in quick succession, before getting into a plot, and because flipping backward and forward is not so easy with a kindle as with a book, keeping track of characters was quite hard at first.

There were two places where there seemed to be editing errors and sections of the book were repeated. This is annoying as I felt I would get better value from a paperback which would have been copy edited more thoroughly.

All in all though, the book delivered what was asked of it - a pacy, post-Christmas read.

What Rhymes with Bastard?
What Rhymes with Bastard?
by Linda Robertson

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 12 April 2008
This is a fantastic book! It had me alternately laughing and crying all the way through and was written with a quirky style that is so endearing and quite unlike any other writer. I recommend this book without reservation to anyone who has ever had a crap boyfriend, a rotten girlfriend, or who likes the accordion.

The Design of Sites: Principles, Processes and Patterns for Crafting a Customer-centered Web Experience
by Douglas K. van Duyne

5.0 out of 5 stars I use this as a reference book at work all the time, 22 Sep 2004
This book sits on my desk at work and I am always referencing it. Its great for help when submitting tenders for designing websites - the writers anticipate what I want to say to a client, and checking back with the book helps me to structure my thoughts quickly and stay to the point.
The book has a clever referencing system, using colours, numbers and shapes, so that I can skip from one section to the next, following a logical trail. For example, Section F3 (Shopping Cart) references E1 (site branding), K4 (action buttons) and H1 (process funnel), so I know to check these areas before continuing.
This is a truly useful book, whether to teach new skills, to put clarity and focus on the tasks that come up again and again when designing sites, or set an example of structured thinking when tackling a completely new problem.
I recommend it for anyone who designs content managed sites.