Profile for J. Sharp > Reviews

Heaven (Deluxe)
Heaven (Deluxe)
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven forbid..., 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: Heaven (Deluxe) (MP3 Download)
I have to chuckle at all those complaining "this is the same album as before" blah blah boo hoo. DONT YOU CHECK BEFORE YOU HIT "Buy"??!! Anyway this album is amazing, although I would like to see a few more up tempo mixes like the final live song. SOOOO glad she didn't win the x factor coz they would have turned her into a "pop star" heaven forbid...

Fujifilm FinePix S8000fd Digital Camera - Black (8.0MP, 18x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars beauty skin deep, 27 Jan 2008
I too was weighing up the 3 super-zoom options (fuji, lumix, olympus).
I was seduced by this as the on paper spec is high, plus the 7 fps shooting speed I needed for my surf shots. Also, when I held it it felt so secure and solid in my hand, I could operate all the controls one handed whilst holding it overhead (not a mean feat!)
However the honeymoon is definately over.
I am coming home after a days shooting and dispairing at the quality of the images. Grainy? They've got less resolution than a jigsaw! 8MP??? My Kodak dx6490 was cleaner, quicker, lighter @ 4mp! And yes, I do know how to use all the manual options, so I am not just a point and shoot in Auto mode person! But even after trying all variations, I am very dissapointed with the images, especially under PC zooming and cropping. Without being patronizing, if you need the ultra-zoom, and aren't trying to sell your images, then this is fine. However, as already noticed WHY NO SUPER_CCD???
It's like revealing a new Porsche super sports car, and lifting the bonnet to find a rubber band and pedals.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2008 1:01 AM GMT

Buying and Selling Antiques: Insider Knowledge and Trade Tips to Help You Make Money from Your Hobby
by Fiona Shoop

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it's weight in platinum!, 30 Dec 2004
This is brilliant guide to the trade for everyone from the boot sale bargain hunter, to those who wish to earn their living full time from antiques.
It has so much information, yet it is easily accessible on well laid out, medium print pages. There are no gratuitous space filling and grainy images which often spoil other guides. The paper is high quality, but not glossy. There are decent margins, and wide spaces between paragraph and sub-heading breaks. Why do I mention this? It makes reading and annotating a fatigue free pleasure.
The information and insight into the trade is extremely valuable. I am learning so much, and it is already earning me more income. She is not afraid to debunk a lot of myths, especially concerning price guides. She rails against rude dealers, and the evils of dirty toilets at fairs (mentioned more than once!) I am sometimes surprised at the revalations, and wonder that Fiona has not recieved a black ban from some of the organisers and dealers! But as she points out on many occasions, the more in the trade, the more people to buy and sell your stock to, so why the animosity?
I would wholeheartedly recomend this book to all those who, like me, are addicted to the thrill of the bargain hunt, get high on the adrenaline surge at an auction, and get more pleasure from the 10 profit made on that find at the bottom of a box under the stall, than from a 1000 made on the stock market. I had Millers "How to make money out of antiques", which was okay, but not a scratch on this. I carry it everywhere.
JUST BUY IT!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2012 2:07 AM BST

Driving Test Success Hazard Perception (2003)
Driving Test Success Hazard Perception (2003)
Offered by A*BargainProducts
Price: 5.84

4.0 out of 5 stars helped my wife pass so must be good..., 18 Oct 2004
My wife was freaking out from all the scare monmgers who told her how many people fail the HPT, which is true (her own driving instructor for example). So we got this, ran it on a steam powered 200mhz windows 98, and were pleasantly surprized when it actually worked!
Since all the scenes are around Swansea, where we live, it was great fun playing spot the landmark, but fun and games aside, this really did help her prepare. Identifying the hazards is not hard - the trick is how to indicate that without either being too gung ho, clicking at everything that moves, or waiting too long and getting lower scores. After a while you sense what they want, and it seems to match very closely the DSA's program (it is NOT the same as DSA's, and DSA have not officially sanctioned it) but the developers tell you that right from the start anyway.
They gave some good hints on how to avoid getting failed for "cheating".
We thought it was excellent value for money and good fun, better than Colin mcrae rally!

Atlas of Australian Surfing
Atlas of Australian Surfing
by Mark Warren

5.0 out of 5 stars map of heaven, 20 Jun 2003
When I was in New Guinea, I went to the library, and there about to be thrown out was very tired mid 80's Surfing Atlas. It was one of those times when you think what brought the only surf book in New Guinea, and the only surfer in New Guinea together? Anyway, this book was the key and map to my 2 month odysey in 2001 around the waves of South Queensland and Northern New South Wales. Beautiful phots, decent maps and local names to breaks, but the best is description of how to get there, it just makes you want to get up and go and discover. The only draw back I can think of is that in the hardback form its a fair chunk of pulped rainforest to carry around in your rucksack, it ain't small or light. I left it at home, but photocopied the relevant sections for my travels. But I still get it down now and then just to relive the journey and the stoke of DISCOVERY...

Page: 1 | 2