Profile for Tupeloking > Reviews

Complete A And B Sides 1963-1970
Complete A And B Sides 1963-1970
Price: 6.09

5.0 out of 5 stars As A Compilation Should Be, 4 Jan 2014
This is a brilliant compilation, A & B Sides, simple.
It is from a period when B-Sides where sometimes as good as the A-Sides because they were more experimental and also fans listened to them with as much interest as the A-sides. Therefore they are loads of gems on here.
I loved listening to this compilation and reading the execellent sleeve notes.

Dusty... Definitely
Dusty... Definitely
Price: 6.45

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have Dusty, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dusty... Definitely (Audio CD)
I've loved the album Dusty In Memphis from the moment I bought it however many years ago but other than that, and her obvious hits, I didn't know too much about Dusty Springfield. So I'm thankful I wasn't let down when I finally bought this album. There's enough good stuff on here to warrant it being in any collection. My stand out tracks are Take A Little Piece Of My Heart (really?, better than Janis, I think so), Love Power (I think I listened to this ten times back to back) and Spooky (although not an original album track it's a treat having it on this as a bonus track).
I can't wait to play this back to back with Dusty In Memphis. I also bought the Complete A and B Sides cd so I am now converted.

Original Album Series
Original Album Series
Price: 10.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a great band, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
I recently saw some tv footage of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band at the Newport Folk Festival in the mid 60's and wondered why I didn't have anything by them. I saw this brilliant package and am so pleased I bought it.
As good as the first couple of albums are, which is what attracted me from the Newport footage, I wasn't expecting the quality of the later albums. This is a cool, classy, competant band that has enough going on to keep you interested all the time.
I can't stop listening to this collection and the last album, Keep On Moving, blew me away in the same way The Allman Brothers Live At Filmore East did. And that REALLY blew me away!

At Fillmore East (Deluxe Edition)
At Fillmore East (Deluxe Edition)
Price: 15.88

5.0 out of 5 stars In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed, 23 Aug 2012
Believe every review you read of this album. It is outstanding.
I bought the first two studio albums and loved them, so I invested in this live album, the deluxe edition, and The Allman Brothers Band suddenly went into another league.
I am a huge fan of music from this period, Led Zep, Cream, Hendrix, Stones, Doors etc but I can confidently say In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed is the greatest piece of music I've ever heard. It takes about 3 minutes to kick in and then sit back and enjoy. This is a ridiculously good band.
At this point, blown away, you go into the amazing You Don't Love Me, then the funky fcker Hot 'Lanta, then the incredible Whippin' Post (i thought the studion version was good...wow) and 30 plus mins of Mountain Jam.
Duane Allman's last album. Such a shame. Respect. Awesome.

Live At The Fillmore - 1968
Live At The Fillmore - 1968
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 8.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 23 Aug 2012
I've always had a half hearted interest in Santana. Heard the hits, seen their acid fuelled Woodstock appearance on film, liked them, respected them but didn't love them. And then I heard this. This is Santana before the record companies got hold of them.
Yes, they needed to do the 3 minute singles to get air play, but this album is why the record companies where interested in the first place.
What a band, what a group of musicians. If you like musicians jamming funk, jazz, blues...and possibly not knowing their actually doing it, or rather how good they where at it, then you'll love this.
It's raw Santana but, at times, brilliant.
I prefer this to their studio albums. Just my opinion

Love And Life (A Journey With The Chameleons)
Love And Life (A Journey With The Chameleons)
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Relevant, Still Good, 27 Jan 2012
I'd forgotten about this album, and then I came across an old cassette. It reminded me of many happy herbal jazz summer afternoons with this as a continuous background. Chill at times (I could listen to Rise Like The Sun all day) but then with these soaring, feel good, upbeat tunes that had you dancing, regardless of ability.
Listening to it now I'd forgotten how political they were, and sadly, their lyrics are still relevant. Also there is a sense and knowledge of musical past which they incorporate highly successfully.
This is a clever album, talented folk.
I wonder if Mr S Ryder stole Shaker Maker from this album. Fair play if he did.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2014 3:13 AM GMT

Kick Out The Jams
Kick Out The Jams
Price: 7.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Punk wasn't actually this good, 27 Jan 2012
This review is from: Kick Out The Jams (Audio CD)
To say this is ahead of it's time suggests that punk was any good. It wasn't. This is. MC5 can play, listen to Motor City Burining. And how incredible is the title track, power, aggression. From the opening it's f*** you. This is everything that punk should have been....just 8 years earlier.

'our Music Is Red - With Purple Flashes'
'our Music Is Red - With Purple Flashes'
Price: 8.03

5.0 out of 5 stars How Does It Feel To Not Know This Band....?, 27 Jan 2012
I haven't heard these songs for 25 years, when I was first introduced to The Creation by a huge Eddie Phillips fan. While recently updating my music collection I came across an old cassette by them. Although I hadn't completely forgotten them I had forgotten the impact some of these songs had on me then. Cool Jerk, How Does It Feel & Making Time especially, but also Painter Man, Ostrich Man, Life Is Just Beginning and Nightmares. I love their version of Bony Maronie which I'd never heard before.
Regardless of whatever was going on within the band these songs stand right up there with the best of the mid 60s.
This is a must have addition, not just to your 60s collection, but your whole music collection.
I now get Eddie Phillips....

The Fool
The Fool
Price: 7.16

4.0 out of 5 stars A band for the future, 21 May 2011
This review is from: The Fool (Audio CD)
It's nice to hear a band that you like for it's familiarity, quality and influences but also has something different which you can't put your finger on. Sign of a good band, and in the case of Warpaint, a very good band. Dare I say very early Stone Roses (please don't shoot me down, it's what I keep hearing) who the band have probably never even heard of.
I don't believe this is the best we'll hear from Warpaint but it'll do for now. Look forward to their future albums.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2011 5:45 PM BST

Arthur - Or The Decline and Fall Of The British Empire
Arthur - Or The Decline and Fall Of The British Empire
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You've Not Heard It?, 23 Sep 2010
I went to see the Kinks in Clapham in the early 90s, dates allude me. Unfortunately I was born in the 70s so never got to see the real stuff. They were incredible though and I touched Dave Davies, all respectable like. AND they played Harry Rag!

Recently one of the people I went to this gig with said he's only just heard Arthur and why hadn't I told him about this album. I just presumed that this was THE Kinks album and everyone who liked the Kinks knew about it.

So if you like the Kinks but do not know about this album, buy it. It's their peak.

I won't gush over individual songs as they are all superb. Dave Davies guitar parts and Ray Davies lyrical brilliance. You won't be disappointed.

As good as the Lola and Something Else albums are, this is their masterpiece.

Page: 1 | 2