Profile for D. Stanford > Reviews

Content by D. Stanford

D. Stanford "Old Guy" (Kent UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
TP-Link TL-WA854RE 300 Mbps Universal Wall Plug Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simples!, 10 Sep 2014
The TL-WA854RE was surprisingly easy to set up. My only issue was having a free plug socket near my router as the WPS buttons on the router and the TL-WA854RE needed to be pressed almost simultaneously. I Gus 2 people acting on NOW! Would work!

My living room is not near my router. Having got the WPS link sorted, it was a simple case of moving it to a spare socket in my living room which for some reason my BT Hub 4 has an intermittent wifi signal. On my iPad the wifi bars fluctuate badly, now, with the TL-WA854RE set up, it is a constant strong recipient of the signal.

So it does what it says it does, it boosts the router signal. Job done.

I am not sure why some reviewers have given such low marks, especially the comment about no Ethernet as you can set it up without WPS using a PC, Ethernet to router configuration. But having said that, most routers now have a WPS button.

Overall, very satisfied, not much more you can say. All houses differ, wall thickness, distance from router etc, so I assume others may find these factors in giving low marks. For me it did exactly what I wanted, boosting a signal through thick brick walls, in my living room.

Harbour Ways
Harbour Ways

5.0 out of 5 stars Share the journey., 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Harbour Ways (Kindle Edition)
It's a cold, wet August bank holiday. It has rained for 2 days. I haven't ventured out, I wanted to read. Having read, and enjoyed immensely Val Poore's Watery Ways I decided to see where her extraordinary journey went next in Harbour Ways and her life on her new barge, the Veeriniging.

Well, it did not disappoint, it was wonderful to read how she brought the barge to life, the trials and tribulations on the way. Such a passion, holding down a career, working on her new home at all other times, it is quite simply, exhausting, and you feel on each page that you are there, looking over her shoulder as she masters new skills, learns through errors, dealing with unhelpful shops, and then finding answers in the nick of time.

This journey was one of acquisition, a new partner, a dippy dog, a new life style, a second barge in Belgium, bought, then sold, you wonder sometimes how she coped. How did she find the energy? How did she put up with the cold! I couldn't. I guess in life you suddenly find things that suit you, and define you.

For Val, moving from South Africa to the cold of Rotterdam was obviously a good move. It defined her life and through these two lovely books you can share the journey.

Wonderful!

Watery Ways
Watery Ways

4.0 out of 5 stars Labour of love, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Watery Ways (Kindle Edition)
This is a very nice book, enjoyable to read, and is a lovely tale of making a new life on a Rotterdam barge. I follow Val on Twitter and she is a tireless champion of fellow authors.

Reading this, at anytime, will have you thinking about projects and things you may wish to try yourself.

But, and to be honest it's a big but, I bought the Kindle edition, and was extremely disappointed at the end (with 92% complete) to find the other 8% did not contain a nice gallery of pictures, but a web link to her blog and a first chapter from another book.

Now when reading books like this, real life, descriptive text is not enough, I want to see too. I don't want at the end to be told that had I bought the book as a book it would be illustrated. Just because I get a Kindle version I do not see why I should lose out.

I found myself going on Google Earth to see where the many places she mentioned, were, going down to street view to get a feel of the area.

I think if a wee but churlish to leave out progress photos of her project, pictures of her abodes , of her dogs, and her fellow bargees!

But as a story, it held my interest, it really is a GOOD tale, and yes, despite the cheapskate editing for the Kindle leaving out photos, I would recommend this.

At least, now, I know what to expect with the second watery book I got!!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2014 9:04 PM BST

John Wayne: The Life and Legend
John Wayne: The Life and Legend

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, well written, unbiased view of a legend, 1 July 2014
First off, the rough cut pages people, is a style, not a quality control issue, so marking the book down because of that is pure ignorance.

Telling a tale of a life is always hard, that is why autobiographies don't always work, it is hard to be self objective or critical. So they become anecdotal.

Biographies can also fall flat by being either too critical, or too gushing.

Here, Scott Eyman has achieved a wonderful balance sorting fact from fiction, present Wayne as a thoroughly decent human being with lots of faults.

If you are interested in the western, the period Wayne worked in, and movies generally you will enjoy this immensely well written work.

There wasn't a part of this book I didn't enjoy, it really goes into Wayne the man, with all his good points, bad points, and foibles. You even get a different perspective of his political views and why he held them. Eyman does not judge, he lets Wayne tell you himself.

It is a terrific book, very, very readable, full of enough new facts and anecdotes to leave feeling that, yes, I would love to have known Wayne.

Asus X102B 10.1-inch Touchscreen Laptop (Black) - (AMD A4 1200 1.0GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 Home)
Offered by Comtronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 21 Jun 2014
After deliberating (don't we all!) and having visited Currys, I decided upon this machine as a replacement for our older laptop which was showing signs of cantankerousness!

With it qualifying for Amazon £25 off, plus having Student/Home office built in (usually circa £90) I got this for £224. Unbelievable for a laptop cum tablet with its lovely capacitive touch screen.

Overall not a super fast jobbie, but it picks up wifi instantly, is a more than capable for a browser, email, office, basic games.

So a 5 star it is.

But....

As a reviewer has already indicated, do NOT confuse the machine with the truly horrendous Windows 8 it is shipped with. Most new machines have Windows latest and fewer are shipped with 7 unless older stock.

What you will find, as I did frustratingly, is there will be a shed load of updates which if you try and force Windows to download will cause errors and hissy fits galore.

My advice is set to automatic updates and give it a few days to sort itself out. Once no more updates are available, you can then upgrade through the Windows store to 8.1

It is well worth it because one of the things it does do is switch the view from tiles like a tablet (8 default) to classic view. For my wife, using this to access her web based database for work, is much better.

Another reviewer mentioned lack of documentation. I agree, but there is a built in Asus tutorial, and, I'm afraid, you will need to use the browser to ask questions as I did, to get hints and tips. You will find no matter what the issue, someone out there is experiencing it! Feel free to ask me anything, I know how frustrating it can get.

So. The unit is excellent, but it will challenge you with the software. Read what you can. Don't blame the machine.

You will find sometimes, and this is no joke, some updates can take hours, half a day or so. This is NOT the machine but Microsoft. Many forums talk of this and people's machines looking like they 'hang'. Don't give up, just leave it and walk away.

Without wishing this review to be a Microsoft 'pop' also bear in mind that you HAVE to sign up to Microsoft Live. I did not like this, but if you don't you won't be able to get into your unit! Tip...set it up before, an id and password.

Hope this rambling helps. Bear in mind the Asus is brilliant for the money, the Windows issue you will get no matter what you buy, so you may as well get a great little unit that will reward your patience in the long run.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2014 3:14 PM BST

BUGATTI VEYRON 1:14 SCALE REMOTE RADIO CONTROL CAR RECHARGEABLE
BUGATTI VEYRON 1:14 SCALE REMOTE RADIO CONTROL CAR RECHARGEABLE

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful..., 11 Jun 2014
This is nice, my 5 year old grandson thinks its the bees knees. But be warned, the battery case on the car takes a specially built six pack AA rechargeable unit with an unusual fitting. So despite the blurb that comes with it you cannot just replace with new rechargeable AA batteries as it says!

Needs a nice smooth surface, and the wee lad loves the rev sound that the hand unit can produce, though after a while you may be telling them to shut it!

RATTAN GARDEN FURNITURE BLACK COMPANION CHAIR & TABLE BISTRO PATIO SET
RATTAN GARDEN FURNITURE BLACK COMPANION CHAIR & TABLE BISTRO PATIO SET

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but hard to put together, 11 Jun 2014
Whilst this is a nice set, there are others on Amazon I have since found that are cheaper, shame they did not pop up on the original search.

Putting it together was a pain with some of the bolts not aligning right to the inbuilt nuts in the framework. Very fiddly, hard to hold and secure at the same time.

However, it is up, and looks nice, and I hope it will last as the price isn't cheap.

Operation Eichmann: The Truth about the Pursuit, Capture and Trial
Operation Eichmann: The Truth about the Pursuit, Capture and Trial

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 8 Jun 2014
This should be a must read for students of modern history. The full story about the search and capture of one of the architects of the Holocaust makes for an emotive read. Fast flowing it is a genuine page turner which is hard to do when you know what the outcome was.

DC23/DC32 High Quality Non-Original Dyson-Compatible Pre-Filter
DC23/DC32 High Quality Non-Original Dyson-Compatible Pre-Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 28 May 2014
Short point here, it costs a fraction of what Dyson charge for the original and does the job just as well. No need to pay more than necessary

36 PC DIE CAST CAR MODEL SET F1 CONVERTIBLE RACING CARS KIDS TOY PLAY SET 015930
Offered by Direct 2 Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value even if flimsy, 28 May 2014
I see that some low reviews indicate how flimsy these cars are. Yes, they are, but when you get 36 for a fiver we aren't talking Corgi here. What you are buying, as in my case, is a bulk of F1 cars that allow little kids to play act for hours.
I does not matter that if handle heavily bits snap, they get so much fun out of building races, traffic jams, parking etc that you can look past the attrition ratio!
I have just purchased 2 more packs because, yes, loads have broken, but I am not getting precious over cars that cost pence each, I am looking at the bigger picture where my grandsons derive so much pleasure out of these, playing, learning colours, telling me which is Jenson Button, or Hamilton, or Shuie.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8