Profile for Martin Woods > Reviews

Content by Martin Woods

Collaborating for Results: Silo Working and Relationships that Work
Collaborating for Results: Silo Working and Relationships that Work

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterful approach to the importance and implementation of collaboration in organisations, 24 July 2014
This is a must have book for consultants, whether you are an experienced or novice practitioner. David has managed, very skilfully, to lift the lid on the complexity of relationships in organisations and, through the lens of a number of different models, shown, not only what is happening, but provided very fitting descriptions of how to implement appropriate facilitation. I have read a number of academic tomes that touch on this critical subject, but none which give such clarity and awareness on the subject. He focuses on awareness of self, what happens in teams and the organisational implications so it is incredibly useful at all levels. This book may seem expensive, but you could recoup this in great multiples with one facilitation using David's thinking and process recommendations.
I cannot recommend this book more highly.
MWA

Outstanding Teaching: Engaging Learners (Outstanding Teaching (Crown House Publishing))
by Andy Griffith

5.0 out of 5 stars Reinvigorate your teaching...!, 8 Feb. 2013
This book is excellent and very practical. As a Coach and Mentor working in education, as well as in business, and also as a father of a very successful primary teacher, I have had a glorious opportunity to discuss the methods recommended in this book. This might just be the fillip teachers need if they begin to feel that their lessons are becoming "samey", boring or lacking in participation and enthusiasm. The principles of engagement, Challenge, pupil focus and flow are clearly evident and, whether you read this book from cover to cover, or dip in for ideas, it is equally useful. This is a great support to new and experienced teachers and also those invilved in adult learning.
Highly recommend it
Martin W
Director and Consultant
MWA

Gentle As The Sun
Gentle As The Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars My Album of the Year, 5 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Gentle As The Sun (Audio CD)
Every now and again we all will come across an epitimous album; one that we really connect to. This album fits this bill for me. Naomi has the most glorious voice and the lyrics of her songs have meaning, significance and depth. Yet it is the sheer simplicity that makes it all work. She is a very talented young New England songwriter who deserves much greater recognition than she currently gets. I urge you to buy this record and guarantee you will not be disappointed. On the contrary, I am sure you will be delighted.
I had the privelege of meeting Naomi on her current UK tour. Her live performances are intimate, warm and understated and her lack of ego makes her that much more attractive a performer.
I cannot speak more highly of her and she would be well deserving of a place on Sarah MacLachlan's Lilith Fair.
So come on Sarah, give her the opportunity. And those of you that book folk artists should pay attention too - particularly in the US - people will come back to see her again so she is worth the investment!

North Elmham,
Engalnd

The Salmon of Knowledge: Stories for Work, Life, the Dark Shadow and OneSelf
The Salmon of Knowledge: Stories for Work, Life, the Dark Shadow and OneSelf
by Nick Owen

5.0 out of 5 stars The Salmon of Knowledge - "An Entry into the Mind of a Master Storyteller", 29 Sept. 2009
Once again, Nick Owen has produced a remarkable and unique book of stories. Why unique? Well, rather like, Magic of Metaphor 2, he has interwoven the tales with more universal theories and with a smattering of Zen. And yet, this time, he has cleverly demonstrated, story by story, how it can best be used in service of one's work, life, shadow and self. This psychological and philosophical approach goes beyond the average book of stories and takes you into a new realm of understanding. In other words, it encourages introspection and just makes you think. For many of us, life today is busy, hectic and often leaves us feeling like something is missing. In "Salmon", Nick frequently reconnects us with who we are by reminding us of the benefits of maintaining presence.

The stories are drawn from all parts of the globe, time past and time present and the overarching theme for me is about connection and relationship. We are connected to our primeval selves (the place where storytelling began with our ancestors around a camp fire)to our younger selves, where storytelling takes us back to our childhood and also our relationship to universal interconnectedness.

And again, Nick expertly references each story to show how it can most usefully be applied.

This book is a "must have" purchase for those of us engaged in the work of developing people in whatever capacity that might be.

Do buy it.

Be prepared to be amused, enlightened and delighted.

Martin Woods

More Magic of Metaphor: Stories for Leaders, Influencers and Motivators and Spiral Dynamics Wizards
by Nick Owen

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Source Book of Stories for All Who Lead, 9 Jun. 2005
As a consultant and counsellor / therapist I cannot underestimate the value of the use metaphor in influencing, training and learning and this book is a fantastic source for that. It goes with me everywhere. Nick has collected some wonderful, thought provoking and emotional stories that will make you think, laugh, cry and I guarantee it will affect who you might work with similarly. Not only that, but the stories are cleverly woven into an overarching story supported by opportunities to develop different perspectives through the application of two wonderful world theories. Anyone that works with others in developing learning or understanding will gain from this book. It's in my top 5!