Profile for KTRatbag > Reviews

Primary Plus 2 Electricity Kit
Primary Plus 2 Electricity Kit
Offered by Trusty Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Leccy fun for everyone, 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Cambridge Brainbox Kit (Toy)
Bought this for seven year old who is really into wires and batteries and circuits etc. There are lots, and I mean LOTS of layouts - it should keep any child with a good attention span going for a long while. My only gripe is one or two pieces which weren't working as they should. I haven't actually attempted to contact the company about this, as there are more than enough pieces to make the circuits my son wants to, so I have no idea how good their customer service is, so my fault, not theirs! It's definitely a kit an adult would need to supervise playing with for younger ones (relatively declicate glass bulbs etc), but that's great, because it gave me and my husband a good excuse to join in :)

Aurora 8-inch Tiger Soft Plush Toy
Aurora 8-inch Tiger Soft Plush Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Kipper's best pal made the best Christmas present, 21 Jan. 2013
Beautifully made, instantly recognisable as Kipper's rather uptight pal, Tiger. Particularly like the way the eyes are done in beads - my son has an older Kipper toy made by Mick Inkpen's publisher, and although his embroidered eyes are lovely, this style brings much more 'life' to Tiger's expression. His muzzle is really lovely - very soft and perfect for tickling with! Sits very well on his bottom, great size for imaginative play.

Aurora 8-inch Arnold Soft Plush Toy
Aurora 8-inch Arnold Soft Plush Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pig, 21 Jan. 2013
Very accurate, nice-faced rendering of character in extremely soft plush, and just the right size for a little one's grip, or being snuggled under a chin at bedtime! Equally delightful for sitting on a shelf for a collector, but seems a shame for this little Arnold to live without constant cuddles :)

10 Inch Square Magnetic Travel Wooden Chess Set
10 Inch Square Magnetic Travel Wooden Chess Set
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Gift, 10 Nov. 2011
Such a nice thing to own and have about the house, not to mention how much my six year old son loves it. It was so well received by my grandfather (who'd paid for it as a birthday gift), he's asked me to order another for my neice! The board and pieces are of excellent quality, the magnetism of the board (haha!) is the icing on the (chequer-board) cake. To be honest, even if you didn't play chess, it would be an eye-catching ornament, all by itself.

Burning Paris
Burning Paris
by Nicholas Blincoe

4.0 out of 5 stars Historical Foray for Blincoe, 17 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Burning Paris (Paperback)
Having no prior knowledge of the siege of Paris, or particular connection to the Palestinian conflict, I really enjoyed this book. I found it a much more gripping read than the Dope Priest which I struggled to finish. The subject matter is refreshingly different from his earlier books whilst being carried by his distinctive dialogue and description. Nice to get away from Manchester for a while too! I particularly liked the fact that the main character in the siege was a real historical figure, and felt that the suffocation and frusration of his situation was excellently conveyed.
Being an avid Blincoe reader, I'm now looking forward to his next much more than I did after the slightly disappointing White Mice.

How I Live Now (Michael L. Printz Award Book (Awards))
How I Live Now (Michael L. Printz Award Book (Awards))
by Meg Rosoff

5.0 out of 5 stars Based on Proof-Copy, 2 May 2004
I was genuinely surprised to learn that this is a debut novel - Meg Rosoff will prove to be one to watch out for.
After falling out with her father and step-mother, the main character is sent from America to live with her aunt and cousins in England. The tale begins just before the country is invaded by 'the enemy'; sending all their lives into turmoil.
The style of writing is so convincing, it is hard not to be alarmed at how plausible this future is. Ms Rosoff avoids deep politics or sentiment, focussing instead on how the children in the story react to events.
A gripping and truly readable book.

The Lodger
The Lodger
by Drew Gummerson

5.0 out of 5 stars When is a lodger not a Lodger?, 3 Aug. 2002
This review is from: The Lodger (Paperback)
This is a fantastic debut & it makes a refreshing change to find a book of this genre set in England. All the more so, because this particular one is set in my home town!
I loved the people in this book - even if Honza does insist on describing himself as a 'b*st*rd'. Andy in particular is a real gem of character. By the time he'd crashed down the stairs for the second or third time, I really wanted him to turn out to be a good guy.
While it gently approaches some serious matters, this is a very funny book. Mr. Gummerson's style of description is truly spot-on, and I irked my colleagues greatly by sniggering through the pages during several break-times.
Lastly, I love a happy ending, and the ending to this story was so right, I actually said "Yes" out loud. Shame on me, but a big round of applause for this new author. When's the next one coming out?