Profile for Garrold > Reviews

Content by Garrold

Garrold (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Finger Pulse Oximeter With LED Display (Includes Carrycase, Batteries and Lanyard)
Offered by Ana Wiz Ltd
Price: 59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value oximeter, 1 April 2014
I bought this for my mum, and have to say it works well and is good value for money. An oximeter is a must for anyone with COPD (but I am not a medic).

PestBye Battery Operated Sonic Rat and Mouse Repeller - Ultrasonic Rat & Mouse Repellent
Offered by Primrose
Price: 18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective but not rugged rat deterrent, 1 April 2014
The device seems effective at keeping vermin (ok, rats) out of my engine bay, and is the only battery powered deterrent I could find. Thank you Amazon! That said, it does not seem that rugged and is quite expensive for a simple circuit.

A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years
A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years
Price: 6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent up to date history of Christianity, 31 Mar 2014
This is a very well written book, and shows great scholarship. it is difficult to put down, and I thoroughly recommend this work. Why not 5 stars? The author uses "patently" a bit too much, and he does not explain the psychology of the spread of Christianity.

Islam without Extremes: A Muslim Case for Liberty
Islam without Extremes: A Muslim Case for Liberty
by Mustafa Akyol
Price: 15.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking model for a future of Islam, 28 Dec 2013
I do not usually read books on either politics or religion, but this is book about both, and very interesting it is too. The fundamental idea is that Islam can and should change with social and political context to become progressive in order to fuel a modern, free market economy. Moreover Akyol's thesis is that Turkey provides such a model. Akyol, the author, traces the genesis of this approach to the rationalist school of Islamic thought, the Mutaziliites, whose leading light was Abu Hanifa, a great Islamic jurist. Historically the rationalists lost the debate with the traditionalists, but Akyol believes that the time of rationalism could have come. I found the arguments compelling, and I hope others do too given tensions In the Middle East.

BetterYou B12 Boost Oral Spray 25ml
BetterYou B12 Boost Oral Spray 25ml
Offered by BabyMad Ltd
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Tastes nice, 19 Nov 2013
I am not sure whether I feel more energetic after spraying this below my tongue, but it has a nice orange flavour. I have a B12 deficiency, but suspect that I may not be able to metabolise the contents of the spray. Still, it wasn't expensive and has caused me no ill effects.

The Wizards of Langley: Inside the CIA's Directorate of Science and Technology
The Wizards of Langley: Inside the CIA's Directorate of Science and Technology
by Jeffrey T. Richelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bit of scientific spookery, 19 Nov 2013
I am not sure why I bought this book, but I am glad I did. It is the tale of all sorts of alleged scientific spookery and the people (the eponymous "wizards" of the title) who made it so. I suppose we will never know how much is true, but some of projects are awe inspiring (the U2 spy plane for example), while others are a little stange (telepathic experiments for example). A colleague recommended "Blind Man's Buff" a few years ago, and it was interesting that "The Wizards of Langley" is more more favourable in its commentary on the submarine allegedly used to salvage a Soviet submarine, Glomar Explorer, than that book. The one fault that the book does have is a love of acronyms. There are a lot, expanded on first use, which I found difficult to remember.

Morphy Richards Accents 43776 Pyramid Kettle - Black
Morphy Richards Accents 43776 Pyramid Kettle - Black
Offered by Southern Electric
Price: 39.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy kettle, 19 Nov 2013
I am very pleased with this kettle. I bought it to replace a very noisy jug kettle from a rival manufacturer, and I have to say that this one is quiet by comparison. It looks very nice too, but the colour is more grey than black. Overall though i am impressed. Time will tell whether it lasts.

A Most Incomprehensible Thing: Notes Towards a Very Gentle Introduction to the Mathematics of Relativity
Price: 2.07

5.0 out of 5 stars A labour of love, 17 Nov 2013
I was recommended this book, and thought at first that it might be another pop science book. In fact it really is a gentle and rigorous introduction to the special and general theories of relativity. What I really like is the emphasis on developing a technical understanding of nativity. This is the textbook that relativity needs.

Sony KDL22EX553BU 22-inch Widescreen HD-ready SMART WiFi LED TV with Freeview HD - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little smart TV, 1 Nov 2013
I think the time has come that smallish, good quality, fairly inexpensive TVs are all that you need for a kitchen or a bedroom. This TV is a mid range smart TV, and it works seamlessly. It is quite intuitive to use, and the picture quality is excellent. The apps provided cover all the basic of video (iPlayer, Netflix, YouTube). I can't think of anything wrong with it. Well, I suppose it does not support 3D, it won't answer voice commands, and won't make the tea!

Scrabble Ltl10108 Large Print
Scrabble Ltl10108 Large Print
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online
Price: 29.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear and sturdy version of scrabble, 29 Sep 2013
I bought this because my mum has age related macular degneration and cannot read the tiles in regular scrabble. She can read the tiles in this set and enjoys playing. The board and tiles are very sturdy, and I look forward to playing scrabble with the set for years to come.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9