Profile for St Michael > Reviews

Handmaids of the Lord: Women Deacons in the Catholic Church
Handmaids of the Lord: Women Deacons in the Catholic Church
by Jane Coll

5.0 out of 5 stars The Way Forward, 4 July 2014
The last reviewer has written so much better than I could and I agree with all she has said. The role of women in the Church is a hot topic at present and Jane's book shows clearly what can be done to maximise this. and all in accord with Church teaching. A huge amount of research has gone into this book and we can clearly see that there is no reason why Women Deacons/Deaconesses cannot be revived as Deacons have been. This would be of huge benefit to those women feeling called to serve, and to the Church, at a time when there is such a shortage of priests. This book should be in every home and read by all who care about their Church

Hugh's Three Good Things
Hugh's Three Good Things
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars All good things, 8 Nov 2013
Yet again Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has written a lovely book that I thoroughly enjoyed. I think I must have nearly all his cookery books now and you never get tired of them as there is always something fresh in each one.

Out of the Frying Pan: Seven Women Who Changed the Course of Postwar Cookery (Elizabeth David, Jane Grigson, Marguerite Patten, Madhur Jaffrey, Claudia Roden, Josceline Dimbleby, Prue Leith)
by Hazel Castell

4.0 out of 5 stars Behind the scenes of the cookery books, 8 Nov 2013
It was very interesting to read about the lives of women whose cookery books I have used most of my life! If you are interested in the history of cooking and food you will probably enjoy it. There are also some recipes in it.

Booze: River Cottage Handbook No.12
Booze: River Cottage Handbook No.12
by John Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired by this book, 8 Nov 2013
It's been such a good year for fruit and I was wondering what to do with it having already made loads of jams and jellies. So I have tried several of the recipes from this book and have now have a shelf lined with jars all bubbling away. I was given a copy of this book last week, and this is me buying it for my son too and I can imagine it would make a really good present for a man this Christmas. The recipes are really easy to follow, just as easy as the sloe gin I used to make. They are grouped into four sections. Infusions is mainly gins and vodkas and it is some of these I have tried already. There is one called Orange Liqueur which only takes a day to make and it was very good! Luckily there are some late blackberries here so I also have got some Blackberry Whisky started and some Haw Gin. Can't wait now for the spring flowers to try some more. The other chapters are wines, ciders and beers. The Melon Fizz, a sort of champagne, was literally ready in just two days and I was a bit nervous about the container (although it was fine in the end) as John said his exploded everywhere once. That tasted good too and was very different. Most of his recipes have a personal story or joke in them so the whole book is very entertaining. You can actually enjoy reading it, it's not just a recipe book. And there is an awful lot more in it than I expected. I am now starting on the Rose Hip Wine. So I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in making their own "booze".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2013 12:05 PM GMT

Napiers Organic Calendula and Marshmallow Soothing Skin Salve
Napiers Organic Calendula and Marshmallow Soothing Skin Salve

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for gardeners, 25 July 2011
This is a really good salve for cracks or hicks you get in your skin after gardening. Small tin but lasts ages.

Napiers Age Defiance Herbal Handcream 60 ml
Napiers Age Defiance Herbal Handcream 60 ml
Offered by Beauty Outlet

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite amazing results for sun spots, 25 July 2011
This is a fantastic cream. I lived in Africa for years so have quite bad sun damage on my hands and skin. I was recommended this by a friend who used it on her liver spots to fade the sun spots on my hands and arms. It faded the brown marks and also surprisingly reduced the sized of a mole on my arm that I've had for years by half. I also had some pink scaly crusty marks which can sometimes be the early signs of skin cancer and they have disappeared too. A little goes a long way and as your hands give your age away its definitely worth it.