Profile for Canny shopper > Reviews

A Tale for the Time Being
A Tale for the Time Being
by Ruth Ozeki

3.0 out of 5 stars A great story - but that isn't enough, 1 April 2015
A diary written by a Japanese teenager (Nao) washes up on a small Canadian island and the finder, Ruth, reads it. As Nao's story unfolds Ruth becomes very concerned about the teenager and her father.

The novel takes the form of alternate chunks of the diary and third-person narrative about Ruth, which helps to build suspense. I learnt lots of fascinating detail about Japanese life, religion and culture, partly through footnotes added to the diary by Ruth as she reads it – a clever touch.

The depiction of life in a small Canadian island community was interesting but I found the portrayal of Ruth and her relationship with her husband less satisfying than the characters in the diary.

Towards the end the novel moves into the realm of quantum physics and explains wave function and Schrödinger’s cat, and several appendices expand on these topics. The author is obviously intelligent but but I wasn’t keen on her use of the novel as a vehicle for such discussion.

Gelert Hand Pump - Yellow/Black
Gelert Hand Pump - Yellow/Black
Offered by Yeomans Outdoor Leisure

5.0 out of 5 stars A very sturdy pump, 5 Feb. 2015
I bought this for our airbed after the battery-powered inflator failed and we are delighted with it. It works quickly because of the large volume of air that is produced with each pump, and keeps you fit in the process! Several people have borrowed this pump from us while we have been camping and have been so impressed that they bought their own. It is well made and sturdy, which I haven't found to be the case with all Gelert products, and is now an indispensable part of our camping gear.

PENTAGRAM / PENTACLE CHUNKY PEWTER METAL PENDANT ON BLACK CORD NECKLACE
PENTAGRAM / PENTACLE CHUNKY PEWTER METAL PENDANT ON BLACK CORD NECKLACE
Offered by ukdigitalscales

5.0 out of 5 stars A big hit with my teenage daughter, 5 Feb. 2015
My teenage daughter loves this. It looks and feels more expensive than it is and looks just as good now, after three months' almost non-stop wear, as it did when she received it.

Natures Aid Multivit and Mineral with Iron 90 Tablets
Natures Aid Multivit and Mineral with Iron 90 Tablets

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - spot-free teenage skin!, 5 Feb. 2015
I have never previously bought vitamin tablets as I believe that a healthy and varied diet should provide everything our bodies need. However, I bought these for my 14-year-old daughter when she started restricting her food intake. She finds them easy to swallow and I'm happy that she is staying healthy. One very surprising and welcome side-effect is that her skin, which was previously covered in typical teenage spots, has cleared up completely. I'm going to start giving them to my 17-year-old son too. Highly recommended.

Departures: Seven Stories from Heathrow
Departures: Seven Stories from Heathrow

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick but very enjoyable read, 9 Sept. 2014
A collection of short stories that together paint a vivid, endearing picture of life at Heathrow Airport, the people who work there and those who pass through. As others have said, it's a slim volume and very quick to read but the stories are varied, well researched and satisfying. One tale brought tears to my eyes and another made me laugh out loud (which is rare for me). I would recommend it to anyone who has ever been to Heathrow (or indeed any airport).

London Under
London Under
by Peter Ackroyd

4.0 out of 5 stars A wide-ranging introduction to a fascinating subject, 6 May 2014
This review is from: London Under (Paperback)
This book about what lies beneath modern London contains some interesting snippets about the sewers, historical remains, the building of the Tube, etc, but I found its forays into psychoanalysis - about why people are both drawn to the netherworld and repelled by it - rather tedious. One of the book’s strengths is that it is not too long so it will appeal to readers who are curious about the subject but don't want to devote months of their life to exploring it. The flip side is that it’s a little short on detail.

Looking For Alaska
Looking For Alaska
by John Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on The Fault in Our Stars, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Looking For Alaska (Paperback)
I hunted this down after reading -- and loving -- The Fault in our Stars but was disappointed. The story is set in a college in Alabama, and centres on a small group of friends whose life revolves around illicit smoking and drinking. [Spoiler alert]

One of the friends dies in a drink-drive accident and the others try to work out how and why.

The blurb on the back cover describes the novel as "intensely moving" but I didn't find it so. I realise that it was written for a teen audience (and I am an adult), but so was The Fault in our Stars. In both novels, the main characters are searching for meaning and the answers to life's big questions, and for me this helps Fault to transcend teen fiction. Looking for Alaska fails to rise above teen angst. It didn't help that I didn't really care about the characters.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2014 11:37 PM BST

The Tortilla Curtain
The Tortilla Curtain
by T. C Boyle

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking, excellent read, 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Tortilla Curtain (Paperback)
This is a superb novel. It interweaves the stories of wealthy Americans living in California and of the illegal Mexican immigrants trying to exist invisibly among them. The main characters are Delaney, a liberal nature-lover who develops fear and loathing of the Mexicans, and Cándido and his wife América, whose paths cross Delaney’s. Boyle contrasts the extreme poverty and desperation of the immigrants with the comfortable lives of the Americans but succeeds in eliciting empathy for both. He also draws interesting parallels between the wild predators, such as coyotes, and the illegal immigrants, both of which breach the increasingly prison-like defences of the Californians' homes.

The themes of inequity, injustice and fear of the unfamiliar elevate this to a universal parable that stayed with me after I finished the book. I shall look out for more of Boyle's novels.

The Corrections
The Corrections
by Jonathan Franzen

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the (considerable) time and effort it takes to read it, 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Corrections (Paperback)
I am currently on page 524 (of 653) of The Corrections and am tempted to abandon it, but thought I'd read some customer reviews first... just in case I'm missing (or am about to miss) some redeeming brilliance.

The book is too long, the chapters are too long and the paragraphs are too long. The characters are unappealing and uninteresting. The lively style and fascinating word choices swept me along for about the first 300 pages; since then I have found it tedious and unrewarding.

There are too many excellent, stimulating and enjoyable books waiting to be read to waste any more time on The Corrections.

Sony Mid-Range In-Ear Headphones with Deep Bass for iPod, iPhone, MP3 and Smartphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable earphones, 1 Feb. 2014
I've never found earphones comfortable to wear but these are fantastic. The smallest of the silicon buds (they come with three different sizes) fit neatly into my ears and the angle of the earphones means that they don't stick out at all, so I can even lie on my side with them in.

The sound quality is very good, too, and much less background noise is audible than with my old on-ear headphones.

Picsio delivered them extremely quickly, and for £4 less than I would have paid on the High Street.

All in all, I am delighted with my purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3