Profile for william > Reviews

The Hugo Movie Companion
The Hugo Movie Companion
by Brian Selznick

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugo Movie Companion, 21 Sept. 2012
I loved the film Hugo although unfortunately I did not see it in the cinema in 3D where it must have been marvellous to watch. However I loved the DVD. While searching Amazon I discovered the Movie companion and sent for this book without hesitation. It is a beautiful book packed with most interesting information about the making of the picture, the actors and director and absolutely gorgeous photographs and illustrations throughout. A must for those who loved this film and want a permanent record of it in this magnificent book. Highly recommended and available through Amazon as most of my recent purchases have been and will most likely be.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2012 5:34 PM BST

Pied Piper of Hamelin (DVD) (1957) (All Regions) (NTSC) (US Import)
Pied Piper of Hamelin (DVD) (1957) (All Regions) (NTSC) (US Import)
Dvd ~ Van Johnson
Offered by Newtownvideo_EU

5.0 out of 5 stars the pied piper of Hamelin, 21 Sept. 2012
This story told in the form of a poem has always been a favourite of mine and although the film does not follow the exact same story line it is nevertheless fine colourful entertainment with many well known stars of the era (mid fifties) and featuring the beautiful music of Grieg's Peer Gynt and some fine singing from Van Johnson, Kay Starr and others. Highly enjoyable and worthwhile to watch.

Introducing Mario Lanza
Introducing Mario Lanza

5.0 out of 5 stars introducing Mario Lanza, 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Introducing Mario Lanza (Audio CD)
Having been an enthusiast of the recordings of the great Mario Lanza for more than fifty years I felt sure that this three disc set would present his singing and songs from when he was at his absolute best. There is no doubt that this is what I found here. This is the absolute tribute to the great singer. An across the board showcase of many of his greatest performances. These were made when he was the BEST. And before record producers managed to botch up mst of his (some years later) long playing records; eg those made in Rome in the Italian studios and transferred to America for finishing off - literally.

From Time To Time [DVD]
From Time To Time [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly enjoyable film, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: From Time To Time [DVD] (DVD)
From Time To Time is a second world war story involving a boy who has to live with his aunt for a safe sanctuary because of the war. The house begins to give up its historic secrets from a hundred years before. A very invoving story and beautifully acted as expected by Maggie Smith, Pauline Collins and Alex Etel. Always great to watch them.If you like ghostly mysteries give it a try. I am sure the film wo'nt disappoint.

Transamerica [2005] [DVD]
Transamerica [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Felicity Huffman
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly enjoyable film, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Transamerica [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this film on a TV channel and as I find happens often I just had to own it for myself and a copy for a friend. I have always admired Kevin Zegers and was not disappointed by his work in this film. It is a thought provoking story about some disfunctional people trying to get to grips with their variously diverse life styles. I would recommend it but it may not be for everyone due to its sexual overtones.

Kidnapped - The Complete Series [DVD]
Kidnapped - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ David McCallum
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Kidnapped. The full series from television presentation., 13 Sept. 2011
This was the definative version of the story, with the book of Catriona skillfully blended in. David McCallum was great as Alan Breck Stuart and Ekkehardt Belle splendid as David Balfour. Aude Landry was a spirited Catriona and the rest of the cast just perfect. The music too was just right. I bought the LP record of the score at the time. It was a joy to be able to see it again as I think I possibly enjoyed it more second time around. I was so glad that the presentation was done in the same serialised format as the original television presentation. One last thought. We are used to seeing countless showings of of cinema films on TV yet many of the equally great and sometimes superior productions from TV seem to be forgotten. As in this case, the acting was great; the costumes stunning; the scenery gorgeous yet I had not seen it since 1978 and not given a re-showing on TV.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2011 8:40 PM GMT

The Disappeared [DVD]
The Disappeared [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harry Treadaway
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars the disappeared, 3 July 2011
This review is from: The Disappeared [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw the last half of this film on tv and was a bit confused as it took a while to connect with what was happening in the story. however I loved what I saw and the cast of the film.I looked for it on Amazon and bought it there and was so glad I did. It was in the best tradition of this type of story. Scary and hair raising like "sixth sense" in effect. A must see for lovers of the supernatural I thought. I was really impressed with the main star, Harry Treadaway.

Borstal Boy [2002] [DVD]
Borstal Boy [2002] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael York
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Borstal boy filmed account, 25 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Borstal Boy [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film on T.V. and enjoyed it so much I sent to Amazon for the DVD which was better because it had 5.1 sound and extra items included.Danny Dyer was excellent as Charlie and Shawn Hatosy also as Brendan Behan. The whole cast great and convincing. The ending was tearful maybe because I became so fond of the two actors and could identify with their pain. I lived every moment of Charlie's emotions because Danny Dyer and Shawn brought the whole thing so beautifully to life. I remarked in the book review how much the two stories differed. But I sensed each told a genuine account, highlighting different events.

Borstal Boy (Arena Books)
Borstal Boy (Arena Books)
by Brendan Behan

5.0 out of 5 stars borstal boy, 25 Feb. 2011
I bought this book after viewing the film of the same title. This was because i enjoyed the film so much that i wanted to read Brendan's own account of the event which could have ended in his execution if he had been of that age. I was surprised at the way the film differed from the book. Almost another story altogether. But a beautiful story and finely acted by all concerned. The film also introduced me to Danny Dyer in a role that I would enjoy seeing him play more often as he had become typecast as gangsterish.