Profile for Nicholas Horne > Reviews

Content by Nicholas Horne

Nicholas Horne (Oxfordshire, UK)

I'm Not Bossy, I'm The Boss
I'm Not Bossy, I'm The Boss

5.0 out of 5 stars energy honesty and soul encoded in the little bit of plastic like doesn't often happen, 15 Aug 2014
Everyone should have a copy of this. It costs what, burger-and-chips for two, but it's just exceptional. A gorgeous record, energy honesty and soul encoded in the little bit of plastic like doesn't often happen. Fabulous.

A World Without Bees
A World Without Bees
by Alison Benjamin

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, valuable, objective; a fantastically GOOD book, 24 Jun 2008
This review is from: A World Without Bees (Hardcover)
I read this wonderful book in one very long sitting; I really could not stop once I started. Having grown up surrounded, in my immediate family, by the 1950's acute nature-awareness of the early Soil Association days of Bob Waller and Harold Horne et al, it was like deja vu to me.
The authors have been very disciplined in producing a really worthwhile book; it is almost perfectly objective, and therefore above cheap criticism. They have worked immensely hard to source a huge amount of sound material, and they have taken the trouble to understand it thoroughly before using it in their book. And the mystery at issue is no less than how terrifyingly detached from truth we are becoming, and how little we now understand our own misery and poverty of life in the midst of all our illusion of ease; how deprived of reality we have already become.
Read it! In the morning, the evening, on the train, in the bath, but read it. It is more real than most other stuff you will find on printed paper or glowing on a monitor any day of the year.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2009 5:26 PM BST