Profile for Anon > Reviews

Content by Anon

Anon (Wellington, New Zealand)

Page: 1 | 2
Sennheiser MM50iP Stereo Headset with integrated microphone - tailormade for the iPhone - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke after a few months, but replaced under guarantee, 27 Oct. 2009
These are great headphones, but like so many other reviewers, mine started off well and died quickly. first the mic generated white noise (fine for me, but annoying for everyone I phoned), then the sound quality faded, then the push-to-talk button began working sporadically. The final straw was when the wire started cracking.
Usually my headphones last a year or two, and I break them in dramatic fashion catching them on a door handle, or something like that. These ones broke little by little. Having said that, they are guaranteed for two years, and it was easy to get a replacement set (from Amazon). I wouldn't pay for them again, but as I have a second pair for free I am happy to carry on using them. Hopefully this set will last a bit longer.
The soft earbuds take a bit of getting used to if you've never tried them before, but after a while it feels like second nature.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2009 10:55 PM GMT

Breo Roam Unisex Rubber Digital Watch Black Medium 17cm
Breo Roam Unisex Rubber Digital Watch Black Medium 17cm

2.0 out of 5 stars Great if it didn't break, 21 May 2009
After two months, the rubber on the strap tore. Tried to contact the manufacturer, but without response. As a last resort, I mailed it back to them with a letter, and they sent a replacement. Unfortunately this time when I tried to set the new watch (using a ball-point pen to push the buttons), one of the buttons slipped into the mechanism and the whole watch is broken.
They are made very cheaply, but if that's all you want, they do the job for a bit.
Lovely and small compared to most digital watches, although I would suggest that they are a little large around the wrist - if your measurement is between two sizes, try the smaller. If I was to buy again, I would get the children's one.

Weider Abs Crunch Trainer
Weider Abs Crunch Trainer

4.0 out of 5 stars Best design I've found, 19 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Weider Abs Crunch Trainer (Sports)
This is (so far) the only sit-up machine that I've found which folds up. They are quite stiff to fold up when they are new, but don't be put off - it does get easier after a couple of weeks (and there is a knack to it).
I'll be honest, and say that it doesn't exactly fold flat, but at least you can keep it behind a door or under a bed.
I sold my first one when I relocated, and then got a second a while later (regretting getting rid of the first), I have looked for a better design in the shops, but haven't found one yet.
I know people who have bought other kinds (cheaper and more expensive), but they take up so much room that they dismantle them and never use them again.

Scholl DR7560 thermal hand held Massager
Scholl DR7560 thermal hand held Massager

4.0 out of 5 stars Built to last, 16 Oct. 2008
I have had this massager for about 6 or 7 years now, and it is still as good as when I first got it (if a little battered). It does the job when I've been sitting at the computer for too long, and is lovely on my feet!
It has a swivel head which you can't see from the pictures, which means that you can either have the smooth heated side, or the textured side.
I can't really fault it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2009 10:11 PM GMT

Bahrain Complete Residents' Guide
Bahrain Complete Residents' Guide
by Explorer Publishing

3.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the "Culture Shock" book, 3 Aug. 2008
This is a tricky one - the book contains useful info such as the local telephone company and such like, but having lived here 8 months, I've not used it once since my first week. It's so out of date - things seem to be build and pulled down at such a rate that you never know what's going on. For instance, the dolphin tours have been cancelled because nobody went on them and not one of the tour operators listed returned my calls. There isn't much going on in Bahrain, but everything of any note is covered in the local magazines.
It's the only book of it's kind, it's reassuring to have, but everyone in Bahrain has at least one spare copy, and if you're coming here to work you'll probably find one waiting for you at your desk.
I would however, recommend not moving to Bahrain unless you're motivated by money, there is little 'art and culture', only shopping malls, multiplex cinemas, and a pretty cool tree in the middle of the desert.
One piece of advice, don't try to buy a map - the roads layouts change frequently (daily in some areas), so there aren't any definitive ones. When you get to the airport there's a stand with the latest map on the staircase after passport control, pick up a couple there, because they really are the best you'll find.
Good luck!

Yoga for Everybody [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Yoga for Everybody [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Artist Not Provided
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars A DVD with longevity, 4 April 2008
Usually I am irritated by exercise videos, and yoga is one of the worst. They are either ultra-modern and glam, or stuck in new-age hell. This is the first one I have come across which does what it says on the tin, without patronising the viewer.
JJ Gormley seems to be a pretty normal person, and she has common sense; what a refreshing way to practice yoga at home. JJ wears every-day yoga clothes (no go-go dancers here), and shows us yoga in a room (without fancy lighting or lapping waves). There is music, but it's fairly quiet and stays firmly in the background. She explains everything clearly and concisely, gives practical advice, and generally gives the impression of being a local yoga teacher instead of a hollywood celebrity.
The DVD menu is really great:
7 short beginners routines (under 30min)
10 long beginners routines over 30min)
7 short intermediate routines (under 45min)
9 long intermediate routines (over 45min)
8 short advanced routines (under 45min)
8 long advanced routines (over 45min)
So there's no chance of being bored. The routines each have a descriptive title ('preparing for meditation', 'finding balance', 'general practice: floor', etc), but don't have introductions explaining what they are for, I think this is a good thing; who wants to listen to 5min about the benefits of yoga when you are already sold on the idea (I have yoga books for that).
Amazon.com has lots of descriptions & reviews if you want more info.
The only thing I would say is that it has a couple of routines to do during menstruation, which may put some men off. It shouldn't, because there are plenty of other routines.
Oh, and make sure your DVD player can play Region 1 DVDs.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!, 6 April 2007
These gloves are really amazing, you can feel everything through them, and yet they're tough. Worth the money.

Cunt: A Declaration of Independence (Live Girls)
Cunt: A Declaration of Independence (Live Girls)
by Inga Muscio

5.0 out of 5 stars Shout it from the rooftops, 3 Dec. 2006
I have an extensive collection of feminist literature, but this is the only one which has told me about moon-cups. Please, stop tourturing your bodies, investigate these ingenious devices. Thank-you Inga for opening my eyes to new possibilities; with one paragraph, you have enriched my life.

This book gave me more confidence to speak out about things which need talking about.

Cambridge Street-Names: Their Origins and Associations
Cambridge Street-Names: Their Origins and Associations
by Ronald Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare gem, 3 Dec. 2006
The chances are that if you are reading this, you're interested in little snippets of Cambridge history. This book covers Cambridge street history right up until the 90's, you can tell this has been written by people who really know Cambridge.

You can look individual streets up in the index, or read through by era, topic, or area. Brilliant. It's a shame I couldn't find it to buy in Cambridge, but Amazon came through in the end. There are references littered through the pages, so you know where to look for more information, should you want it.

Every town & city should have one of these books!

Epson Stylus RX620 All in One Photo Printer, Scanner and Copier
Epson Stylus RX620 All in One Photo Printer, Scanner and Copier

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it serviced, 22 Oct. 2006
Reading the reviews, I realise I'm not the only one. This printer is great, the scanner's great, the neg carrier is great, everything was great until 10 days after the guarentee ran out, when it suddenly stopped printing & refused to budge. Was told by the shop I bought it from that it would be upwards of £200 to get it repaired & that I should buy a new one - afterall, printers are only designed to last a year or so.

Out of desperation I went to a dodgy looking computer shop on the way home. They replaced a small part for me in 15min and charged a tenner. Apparently all these new printers have an automatic cut-out to keep the quality consistant. It counts how many sheets it prints and when it gets to a certain number, it assumes it has worn out, and won't print until the part has been replaced.

It's a pain as there's no warning before it happens, but it's easily fixed & isn't the end of the world. Don't believe anyone who tells you this is serious, shop around unitl you find someone who can fix it cheap. It's not heavy - I took it to the shop and back in my bike basket!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2008 7:50 AM BST