Profile for Mazk > Reviews

Content by Mazk

Mazk (Middlesex United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Indorex Flea Spray
Indorex Flea Spray

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it says on the tin., 16 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Indorex Flea Spray (Misc.)
Kills fleas more effectively than anything I've tried from my local supermarket.

I originally bought a can from my vet priced at £30, to this is value for money.

Mens Black Dupont Kevlar Motorcycle Jeans With CE Armour W34 L30
Mens Black Dupont Kevlar Motorcycle Jeans With CE Armour W34 L30
Offered by Bike-Wear-Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy them, but buy one size larger than you are., 16 Aug. 2014
Last week I bought some jeans from Next, they were W34 and L30, and they fit perfectly.

These jeans are meant to be the same size, however even without the armour I find them hard to put on. With the armour I can barely bend my leg.

That said, the material is thick, the kevlar is sown into the knees and hips. I would return them but I think I stretched them out a bit by trying to force them on!

Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet
Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic graphics tablet., 15 May 2014
The good:

- Easy to set up.
- Responsive.
- Excellent for sketching (I use it for painting and retouching in photoshop)
- Relatively cheap.
- You can program the pen buttons.

The bad:

- While you can program the pen buttons, if you jump from application to application (Photoshop to Illustrator for example) there isn't an easy way to change the pen set up. With more expensive set ups, you can program the tablet to make global changes by pressing a button.
- No eraser (Not a massive problem, you can program the stylus to erase, but it's still a bit of a drag)
- The writing area is very small, about the size of a postcard in the centre of the tablet. I like it, you can still do very accurate drawings, but I can imagine people used to a bigger area getting frustrated.

The Promise: Never Have Another Negative Thought Again
The Promise: Never Have Another Negative Thought Again
by Graham Price

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is different., 15 May 2014
I've read quite a few self help books over the years and this stands out as one of the most useful. Normally, these sort of books are either very academic or filled with new-age emotional cheerleading; this one is different.

Written in a clear logical style, a lot of the teachings are similar to stoicism - in particular the meditations of Marcus Aurelius. From accepting what is, to dealing with discomfort, The Promise is a handbook for those of us who overthink, who ruminate, who brood and who avoid action and discomfort.

Since reading, I've been able to break out of my depression that has haunted me for years. (Admittedly with the aid of mindful meditation, which has helped me spot my negative thoughts.) The chapter on dealing with discomfort alone is worth the price of the book. I now regularly take cold showers, which has had the knock on effect of helping me accept discomfort as just a feeling. In fact, I do a great number of things which I avoided in the past just because the thought of them made me feel bad - from public speaking to going for a run.

Yes, I still get angry. If I miss my bus, I'll curse and mutter to myself, but I accept the situation and let the anger go in a matter of seconds. Yes, I still get depressed, but it's no longer the paralysing bleakness that plagued me in the past; now it's more a twinge, that I accept and move on from.

While the book hasn't had an effect yet on my wealth or career, I feel it has put me in a better headspace to do so in the future.

In addition to this book I recommend The Tools By Phil Stutz and Barry Michels. While a little more new-agey than The Promise, they have the same practical approach to dealing with the problems of life.

Calvinize: Signature Techniques of Photoshop Artist Calvin Hollywood
Calvinize: Signature Techniques of Photoshop Artist Calvin Hollywood
by Calvin Hollywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Nov. 2012
I've gone through my fair share of Photoshop books and rarely have I come across one as enjoyable as Calvinize. The book itself is lovely to read; it's essentially a collection of 100+ examples of his work. The real value however is in the accompanying DVD where he has made a mini-master course in how he produces some of his amazing effects. While obviously not aimed at the absolute beginner, it breaks down the main steps he uses and shares a lot of the tricks of the trade. If you like his look (and you can google some of his photos), and want to produce things in a similar style, I can't recommend this book more highly.

PondKraft Solar Oxygenator
PondKraft Solar Oxygenator
Offered by Bradshaws Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, when the sun is out., 12 April 2012
This review is from: PondKraft Solar Oxygenator
It's the beginning of April, 9am in the morning, not a cloud in the sky, and the sun feels warm on my face... Unfortunately the pump isn't yet working.

10am, the pump springs into life, and will work until 5pm, when sunset is around 7pm.

When this pump works, it works well and would be an excellent summer pump to add extra oxygen into a pond. Unfortunately, even on a fairly bright day, the slightest bit of cloud-cover will stop the pump from working.

That said, when I sit by the pond and see the constant stream of bubbles rising to the surface, I get a very smug feeling knowing I'm not paying for the electricity.

Blender Foundations: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 2.6
Blender Foundations: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 2.6
by Roland Hess

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect introduction., 12 Feb. 2011
Having given up trying to learn Blender using online tutorials, I turned to this book - expecting it to be hard work and something of a slog.

What I found was perhaps the best introduction to a 3D program I've read in a long time. It's diagrams are clear (and in colour), it expertly explain modelling, molding, and animation, and I can say now I feel quite at home using the new version of Blander.

So why not five stars? I found the chapter on textures and materials a little confusing and there weren't any tutorials on using the game/physics engine. That said, don't let that put you off. If you understand everything in this book, you'll be way ahead of the curve and be able to produce really interesting renders.

Voice Of A Leader : Session 3
Voice Of A Leader : Session 3

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment., 24 Oct. 2010
I don't know what I was expecting, but not this. Before putting down your hard-earned cash, click on the link above and listen to the guy's voice.

Do you really want to sound like that?

The author boasts that he was the voice coach of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sly Stallone, Tony Robbins and a whole host of Hollywood stars, and I've no reason to doubt him. What I do have trouble believing is his weird hippy/spiritual/self-help teaching will improve my voice.

If you want to get good at speaking, join your local Toastmasters Public Speaking club.

After Effects Expressions
After Effects Expressions
by Marcus Geduld

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Jun. 2010
Last night I spent an hour writing an expression that allowed a wheel to turn at the correct speed while travelling along a curved bumpy path. Now, it took a long time to do and a fair amount of thought, but it's something I'd never have even dreamt of a month ago.

The book is excellent, although the chapters are a bit on the long side (I like to be able to finish one chapter in an evening) and I wouldn't buy it unless you've a basic understanding of After Effects.

That said, I knew next to nothing about programming before buying the book. I now have an extremely strong foundation to writing scripts and (more importantly) understanding the scripts of others.

Yes, the going is tough at times, but this has to be the most user friendly book I've ever read on After Effects. A perfect beginners introduction to JavaScript.

Apple Pro Training Series: The Craft of Editing with Final Cut Pro
Apple Pro Training Series: The Craft of Editing with Final Cut Pro
by Michael Wohl

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on editing I've come across, 26 Jun. 2009
I've been looking for a book like this for years. I own a lot of books on editing and this one's clearly the best. Most books will either tell you how to use editing programs e.g. "Press the B key for the blade tool", or are dry and academic, going into editing theory without any examples.

This book is a wonderful mix between the two: you're taught how to cut, while at the same time told why, with loads of examples along the way. Since reading it I watch films in a new way, thinking, "Oh, I can see why you did that."

That said, it's not for total beginners. If you've never used final cut before I'd recommend Diana Weynand's Final Cut Pro 6.

Page: 1 | 2