Profile for alimacbride > Reviews

Content by alimacbride

alimacbride (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Medipaq® Freedom Wedge Cushion - Great for Coccyx Relief, Lumbar Support, Back Pain in the Car or at Home (Jet Black 3-D Mesh)
Offered by Medipaq® from Great Ideas™

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for piriformis syndrome or sciatica (at least, not mine!), 19 Mar. 2015
Good quality but I'm afraid this has done nothing for my piriformis syndrome/sciatic nerve discomfort, so it's been a bit of a wasted buy for me.

The Archived
The Archived
by Victoria Schwab

3.0 out of 5 stars Some nice imagery but this didn't hook me as I'd hoped, 15 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Archived (Paperback)
Some lovely ideas but the characters felt flat. It was a bit claustrophobic too as it took place in so few settings, and yet without much description of those settings to really make them understood. The back and forth between info dumps and the present day felt a little too convenient rather than letting the story flow -- it was as though the author found a way to get around the giant no-no of backstory dumps by flashing back regularly to the heroine and her late grandfather. But it didn't work for me. Some nice imagery but this didn't hook me as I'd hoped.

Throne of Glass: 1
Throne of Glass: 1
by Sarah J. Maas

1.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near the hype. Poor world building and characterisation., 12 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Throne of Glass: 1 (Paperback)
I hate to say it but this was hugely disappointing. As others have said, the heroine is meant to be the land's deadliest assassin but she doesn't prove this in any way. Her characterisation seems very poorly executed, dialogue is stilted, and descriptions are only adequate. I felt the world building was VERY lacking. Nothing about this felt real or alive, or made me want to turn the pages. I rarely stop a book halfway through, but I did with this one. Didn't live up to the hype or marketing at all.

Melkco Luxury Leather Case for Apple iPhone 6 (Vintage Brown)
Melkco Luxury Leather Case for Apple iPhone 6 (Vintage Brown)
Offered by Elite Electronics

2.0 out of 5 stars I had a Melkco case like this, but in blue & white, 2 Oct. 2014
I had a Melkco case like this, but in blue & white, for my iPhone 4s and I LOVED it. Best phone case ever! The leather felt rugged and strong, and I dropped it countless times with no damage to the phone, or case.

I just received this one today. As the previous reviewer stated, the design of this case substantially lowers the volume of the ringer, so if it's in a purse or pocket, forget it. You'll have to rely on the vibration to know your phone is ringing, and that's really disappointing. Even with the volume cranked, it was very muffled.

On top of that, the leather used in this case versus the blue & white jacka type I had for my old phone is very soft and smooth -- and I imagine, much easier to drop or slide out of your hand. The texture isn't conducive to getting a good grip on it, so I'm not very confident this is going to be my permanent case for this phone.

I may resort to ordering a Melkco jacka case from the U.S. in another colour, as the other colours seem to have a more rugged, grippy texture. But I'd like to see them redesign this with a better hinge to allow for the ringer to be heard.

Very disappointed.

IDACA 6 PCS HD Ultra Clear Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 6 4.7 inch
IDACA 6 PCS HD Ultra Clear Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 6 4.7 inch
Offered by FlyArt

1.0 out of 5 stars Not made for the iPhone 6, and not as shown (holes are different)., 27 Sept. 2014
This does not fit the iPhone 6 properly. Barely covers the screen width-wise, and isn't long enough either. In the photo it shows cut-out holes for the home button and the sensor/speaker at the top -- these are not cut outs but cut-INS, as in, it's not a hole but was cut from the outside so it doesn't cover around the top and bottom, if that makes sense. Not as shown, not large enough for the iPhone 6 despite claiming that's what it's manufactured for. DO NOT order this for the 6. It's clearly made for a different phone and is being touted as an iPhone 6 protector.

Isotoner Women's Terry Ballet Slippers Grey Outdoor Sole 98968GRYXL Extra Large, 40/41 EU
Offered by Bright Colours

2.0 out of 5 stars Keeps coming off heel, badly sized., 13 Aug. 2014
Many have said these run small but I found them too big. According to Isotoner's own website, an XL is EU size 7-8. I wear between a 6-7, usually a 7, so I went with XL. These are HUGE on me, the sole at least an inch too long, which means the heel keeps slipping off, especially on stairs. They're comfortable but had to be taken out of the packaging in order to wear and walk in them, and now that I've done so, I won't be able to return them. I would've ordered a large if I'd known. Either that, or the ones this Seller is sending out are an older model with different sizing.

Philips Fidelio AD7000W SoundAvia Wireless Speaker with AirPlay
Philips Fidelio AD7000W SoundAvia Wireless Speaker with AirPlay

2.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great.... WHEN it works., 24 April 2014
We've had this speaker for over a year now and moved house within that time (as well as routers) and in both locations, the wifi connection was incredibly sporadic. We might have a day where the speaker plays flawlessly all day, but at least 75% of the days it's used, it cuts in and out, turns itself off, restarts itself, or simply loses connection for no reason. As other reviewers have said, this sounds great but it's not worth the frustration of repeatedly having to hit play again on iTunes, or turning it on and off, or disconnecting and reconnecting. Wish we'd never bought it and now going to search for a replacement.

Jim Henson: The Biography
Jim Henson: The Biography

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, detailed, and compelling, and stays with you afterwards., 1 April 2014
I grew up with Sesame Street and the Muppets and Fraggles, with their music on the record player, always knowing Jim Henson was the gentle, bearded genius behind them, but not until recent years has it hit me what a huge impact the man has had on my life, not to mention the lives of millions worldwide. Jones's biography delves deep into Jim's roots and so much obvious care was taken to handle the presentation of Jim's life with accuracy. It was fabulous to read quote after quote from Jim's family, friends, and Muppet family about how Jim lived, and how much love and dedication he put into his work, and into making the world a better place with his own, truly unique stamp. Of course, the end had me weeping, and wondering what other amazing things Jim might've brought to life had his time not ended when it did, but of everything I took away from this book, what stands out most is the contagious inspiration in Jim's unapologetic optimism and wonder. He was truly one of a kind, and Jones has done an incredible job with the interviews, research, chronology, and facts without getting bogged down in sentimentality or opinions. And what's left is a picture of humanness, kindness, generosity, and determination Jim had to keep bringing his vision to life, regardless of what the critics or networks said. Given that Jones managed to interview not just members of Jim's Muppet family, but also Jane Henson and their children, I don't believe there could exist a more thorough and accurate depiction of Jim's life and work. Grateful.

Kensington KeyFolio Expert Multi-Angle Folio and Bluetooth Keyboard Case For iPad 4 with Retina Display and New iPad (3rd Gen) (K39531US)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard for iPad 4, 25 Feb. 2014
I spent an hour researching the best and most affordable option and came up with this, despite it having only one review on Amazon.co.uk. I read through the .com reviews and decided to go for it over more heavily-reviewed alternatives, for the following reasons:

1) It can sit on your lap like a laptop, as it doesn't have just a leg that swings out in the back, or some flimsy piece that's meant to hold the whole (heavy) iPad upright. This works just fine, in more than one position.

2) The price.

3) The ease of sliding the iPad into a small lip, rather than some bulky frame-type case.

I received the item today from Galore (who I would not buy from again as a seller, because while the item works fine, it was clearly used and returned before being sent to me -- covered in white smudges, scuffs, and marks and the packaging was cut up) and it works fine. As I'm going on holiday in a few days, I don't have time to switch it out for another. Still, regardless of the item's aesthetic condition, it charged quickly and paired easily and I typed a test email and it kept up just fine with my 120 words per minute typing. I won't be storing my iPad in this as a case, since I have a much more high quality one and I've read keyboards can scratch the screen, but as I said, it slides easily enough in and out.

If you can buy it from a seller other than Galore, I'd highly recommend it!

Durable Transparent Computer Desk Mat 50x65cm
Durable Transparent Computer Desk Mat 50x65cm

3.0 out of 5 stars Protects, but doesn't stay put, 22 Oct. 2013
I bought this hoping it would stay put under my laptop, mousepad, and for a writing area. On the plus side, it seems like it'll protect the surface just fine from the scratches my Macbook was leaving on my new desk. Unfortunately, it slides around too easily and while this might not be the case on different types of surface, wood, etc., to remedy that it would've been nice if there'd be a more rubbery back to the mat so it didn't slide so easily. Nice size, just a bit too slippery.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3