Profile for L. Davies > Reviews

Content by L. Davies

L. Davies "lee_davies" (Liverpool, UK)

World of Warcraft: War Crimes (World of Warcraft (Gallery Books))
World of Warcraft: War Crimes (World of Warcraft (Gallery Books))
by Christie Golden
Price: 15.19

3.0 out of 5 stars [SPOILERS] It's a good read, but..., 10 Jun 2014
As the subject says it's a good read and I enjoyed it, for the most part. The story was solid and there's plenty of "other things" going on to keep you distracted. But there are a few nagging points that prevent me from giving this more stars.

Firstly, the legal/courtroom references. I get that it's a trial -- of sorts -- and I also appreciate there has to be a point of reference for us, as readers, to understand. But I just felt the courtroom drama was full of cliches rather than anything else.

Secondly, Tyrande Whisperwind. Her whole demeanour in this was of a shrewd, slippery lawyer (another cliche). I had a hard time picturing the Warrior Priestess and gentle Leader of the Night Elves as a bureaucrat.

Finally (and this where the spoilers come in), I felt the distractions between Jania and Kalec were very good as was the interaction between Sylvannas and Veressa, whereas the distraction amassing support for Garrosh (two, three people?) was lackluster. It had promise to develop further but instead was ignored for the last half of the book until the very last few pages.

Good, but not as good as previous works from this author.

Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
by Dan Brown
Price: 9.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Suspension of disbelief is far from suspended, 5 Jun 2013
Having been a massive fan of the DaVinci Code and his other books (Deception Point is a personal favourite), I was excited to read Dan Brown's newest book - having still not read the last Robert Langdon novel. But whilst mostly enjoyable, I feel a bit let down by it all.

A personal gripe of all authors -- not just Brown -- is the use of a female sidekick developing feelings for the male protagonist. It's contrived, forced, and often unnecessary (I'll leave any feminist debate to people more intelligent than I) and this book has that aplenty.

Whilst the plot was engaging at the beginning, the "tour guide" narrative that persists quickly becomes distracting from the action which had the potential to be quite huge. Instead, any existence of a fast pace is eliminated by Brown making -- often a needless -- reference to something of historical interest, often at the end of the line which begs the question why mention it at all?

This happens with increasing frequency; when a tense or action-packed scene is building up all immersion is cast aside as the last sentence jars up from the page informing us that building X was lived in by Y. Its style is more footnote like than page worthy.

I haven't re-read it but there may be something unexplained regarding two characters sharing identical memories of a night with the antagonist.

It could have been me not reading properly as by this point I was skim-reading to get to the lacklustre ending.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2013 9:25 PM BST

Warlock (Egyptian Novels)
Warlock (Egyptian Novels)
by Wilbur Smith
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing ending!, 13 Sep 2007
98% of the book was set building up towards the final battle, and then, in the closing pages, the battle is done, the victor does their (brief) thing, then BANG. The end.

It was all very much anti-climatic, but still a bloody good read.

Marked down one for the ending that felt rushed.

Against A Dark Background
Against A Dark Background
by Iain M. Banks
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, well done Banks!, 20 April 2006
This was the first Banks book that I've ever read, and whilst it has it's down sides, it's a very good read.

Banks - in my opinion - has a tendancy to explain everything in enormous detail, and as such, can make the book harder to read and stick with.

But please folks, do stick with it. The plot-twists and (more importantly), character development is something not to be missed.

AaDB leaves you with a sense of completion and a warm heart when completed. This is the sign of a great book, one that nails the characters together, and glues them to you, driving everybody together. I found I had grown so fond of the main character (Lady Sharrow) that I had to read the final chapters again, just to get some proper "closure".

In closing, an excellent read - couldn't recommend it any more!

The World At War - Special Collectors Edition [DVD]
The World At War - Special Collectors Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laurence Olivier
Offered by cult_stores_ltd
Price: 89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff., 2 July 2004
I must admit, I was a little put off at the price, but after buying it for my fathers birthday I am totally happy about spending the nigh-on 100.
The DVD's are quality stuff, investigative and informative, but don't let the comments about the Navigation sway you. The DVD Menu is a little tricky yes, but by playing around with it and seeing what-does-what, you'll soon get the hang of it.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PS2)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 10 Jan 2004
This game is too good for words! The entire game is just one big puzzle just waiting to be solved. Running across and up walls, swinging off ropes and bars, balancing on beams, you never cease to be amazed at what the Prince can do next.
Aided by a girl, this makes things alot cooler as she helps you out an awful lot. Crawling in narrow places, aiding you in battle - it's utterly amazing.
It also comes with the complete version of the original arcade version 'Prince of Persia'.
A must have for all puzzle fans!

3DS Max 4: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
3DS Max 4: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
by Michele Matossian

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really that good..., 14 Oct 2002
I must admit, having a keen interest of learning the art of 3D Animation, this book being much cheaper than most on the market should of been a good buy. Wrong.
I haven't read all of this book, but so far it is all examples, and not enough teaching. It does not bother to 'fill you in' on most technical terms used in the pages, and so you (at least I was) was left searching the Help Files of 3Ds MAX in the hopes of fully understanding what it says.
The beginning of the book (of which I am quite familiar with) is babble. It explains how to install the program, authors advice, and for want of a better term, the aurtors biography. Overall, not a very good buy, save your money for a better book, or as I should of done, the pub.

Soul Reaver 2
Soul Reaver 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Soul Reaver 2 - Flaming Brilliant!, 7 Jan 2002
This review is from: Soul Reaver 2 (Video Game)
After falling in love with the first game, SR2 is the only reason why I got a PlayStation 2. After feeling content about the ending of the first game (although apprarantly they missed it out, hence the sequal), I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.
Although puzzels are few, they are simple (yes, I spent a few hours on one puzzel and all I had to do was turn around!). Graphics are brilliant. Totally worthy of the PS2 console. Gamespan isn't very long. This is the one major downside of the game. I didn't expect it to say 'The End' in the place it did, I felt bitterly disapointed. I mean, I completed it within 4 days!
The plot isn't bad. Confusing for someone with a short attention span, but it does make you think afterwards (probably just to make sense of it all!). There are no bosses, unfortuantly, but hopefully this will mean an even better sequal.
Graphics: 9/10
Plot: 8/10
Game-life: 5/10
The bonus footage (sound track to BOTH games, behind the scenes voice recordings etc) is something to watch when you've completed the game.
Overall: 10/10