Profile for meldme > Reviews

Content by meldme

meldme

Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Game Is Superb, When You get it Working!, 29 Oct. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
These 'reviews' by people who can't get the game working are not worth bothering with. They are correct of course, in saying that this game is a royal pain to install and run. But a 'review' should be about the game itself, not bitching and whining about it not working. Normally, I would simply review the game, but I feel I have to voice my opinion and to save you possibly hours of wasted time if you puchase Battlefield 3 and fail to get it started. So follow the following advice, you should be okay.

Firstly, make sure your pc meets the recommended specs. If you are too dumb to bother checking then you can't complain. Secondly - this game does not (at present) like Internet Explorer (at least not IE 9), so if that is your browser of choice, you may (or may not) run into severe problems. I use Internet Explorer, and my copy of BF3 would not load. So, if you run into the same problem, download Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Chrome did the trick for me and the game now runs fine. If you follow the two previous titbits of advice, you should have a working game. If you don't, then it is your own fault, so the choice is yours.

The game by the way, is superb and atmospheric, (the 'rolling start' on the train sequence is quite something) hence the score. Yes. Origin is a pain in the arse, and EA should get a slap for the irritating way they have tried to utilise this horrid system, and if I was to rate the way this game has been distributed, I would give zero. But please, if you are going to give one star for the game review, then you are not reviewing the game, you are reviewing everything else. And yes, the irony is not lost on me that I have spent nearly all of it not talking about the game, but if people who are busy kicking the cat in frustration could just follow my advice, you may just end up playing the actual game.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2011 11:54 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Gym Quality - And Folds!, 17 Oct. 2011
I thought I had utilised all of my space for my gym room, but always wanted a cross-trainer. So after noticeing that this one was made by Horizon AND folded, I did some tape-measuring and thought I'd go for it. So far I'm very happy with it. It is practically silent and very smooth, and folds away neatly. So if you want a quality Cross-Trainer but need space, this is ideal. A word of caution though, it folds neatly, but when in use it does take up a fair amount of room in terms of height and length, although it is pretty slim. If you want a gym-quality machine in your home, for the price, it's hard to beat.

AB Motion Xtreme
AB Motion Xtreme

5.0 out of 5 stars So Much Better Than Ab-Circle Pro!, 17 Oct. 2011
This review is from: AB Motion Xtreme (Misc.)
I was going to order one of these about six weeks ago, due to the positive feedback. But as I would have to wait about a month for the Ab Motion Xtreme to come in stock, I decided I couldn't wait, so I hastily purchased the Ab-Circle Pro from my catalogue, despite mixed reviews. I had tried an Ab-Circle Pro at a gym showroom and it felt okay, if a little flimsy. But being far too impatient, I ordered one. As soon as it arrived, I opened it to find that the thick logo/badge (which was supposed to be solidly glued on to the base) had already peeled off, so I didn't even bother assembling it and sent it right back.

I had read decent reviews of the Ab-Motion Xtreme, so preordered it - and I am glad I waited. In fact, it arrived ahead of it's preorder delivery estimate. To say this is vastly superior to the Ab-Circle Pro is an understatement. Much sturdier construction, solid red disc base, unlike the larger, but rather flimsy Pro disc base. Also, the Ab Motion Xtreme does not use rollers. A problem many consumers of the Ab-Circle Pro have voiced is that the rollers had worn out on the Pro and had to be replaced. This machine uses a much better 'pivot' system, does everything the Ab-Circle Pro does, but does it much better, and will take much more of a pounding. It also takes up only slightly more space than its rival, and can be partially folded.

If these two ab machines were placed side by side in a showroom, and tested by 100 people, I would be stupified if one person chose to buy the Ab-Circle Pro. Plus, this is much cheaper to buy in most places. The Pro is selling for £100 at Argos at the time of this review. I did notice they have released a 'new image' Ab-Circle Pro, which looks redder in colour, making it look a little more like the Xtreme - a backhanded compliment perhaps? Don't be fooled by the infommercials for the Pro - the Ab-Motion Xtreme mops the floor with its more famous rival.

This is a welcome addition to my gym equipment, and I only buy (or at least keep) quality. You may see cheap Ab-Circle Pros on the net for around £40, but there have been a lot of complaints about cheap imitations - check out Youtube. I've had the official one, so lord knows how bad the knock-offs are. Don't take my word for it, compare the reviews on the net. And for £60-£70, you won't be disappointed in this machine. Five Stars!

York Fitness Bench
York Fitness Bench

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and sturdy, but if you are tall, beware., 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: York Fitness Bench (Sports)
This is a nice and sturdy bench, apart from the black plastic feet which tend to fall off if you move it around. It is relatively easy to set up and is of higher quality than certain high street stores are peddling for roughly the same price. It has five seating positions, ranging from flat, several variations of incline, to upright. It doesn't take up much room, but can't be folded if space is at a premium.

Also, it is worth mentioning that if you are rather tall, you may find that when you lie flat on this bench your head may be hanging rather precariously over the end, as it is not the longest bench in the world. Other than that, it is a quality bench.

Golds Gym Utility Bench
Golds Gym Utility Bench
Offered by Sweatband

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not a bench for beginners, 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Golds Gym Utility Bench (Misc.)
The quality of this bench is extremely good for the money. If you want to use it for flat, incine or decline chest exercises it really does the trick. Once set up correctly it is quite sturdy, despite being quite light in weight. But before you buy, bear the following in mind - this bench does not feature an upright setting. So if you are planning any shoulder presses, this bench is not for you. Also, it can be quite frustrating to set up, and adjust to the various settings, even for seasoned gym enthusiasts.

The instructions are very poor and if you are looking for simplicity of usage, I would suggest you look elsewhere. Fortunately for me, I just about have enough space for two benches, so I have this and a York Fitness Bench. The other bench is also available on Amazon (grey, silver colour), and is simpler to use. The York bench accomodates an upright position, but not decline as this bench does. Also, this bench takes up less room, as it folds practically flat for storage. Both benches have their strengths and weaknesses, so it all depends on what you want to use them for.

To sum up, this is a very good bench, light but sturdy, takes up little space, but quite awkward to set up, especially if you are not familiar with weight benches. It's great for incline, flat and decline exercises, but if you want a bench which goes higher than 45 degrees, look elsewhere.