Profile for Nazo > Reviews

Nazo

A Joyful Noise
A Joyful Noise

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Excellent pop tunes!, 16 May 2012
This review is from: A Joyful Noise (Audio CD)
"Standing in the Way of Control" was the record that introduced me to Gossip, "Music for Men" was the one that made me like them, and "A Joyful Noise"
is the record that made me really apprecaite and love everything that they stand for.

Unlike most bands, Gossip bring so much originality into today's musical landscape. I personally don't know of a single band that sounds like Gossip or has as much talent and charisma!
Lead by (probably) the largest female singer of her generation Gossip are quite a unique oddity.

No other band I know can tackle punk rock and electro pop with equal ease.

Here Gossip have taken a poppier more electro approach, and although it might alienate their early fans, this new sound works great for them. A Joyful Noise is not a million miles away from the EP that Beth released with Simian Mobile Disco last year. And having Brian Higgins (of Xenomania) at the production helm was an excellent choice; at least for this listener.

And while previous records had some tracks that I could have easily skipped, A Joyful Noise is rim packed with songs that play more like a greatest hits record.
Not a single dud, not a single song is undercooked, each of the 11 tracks have their own place on this record.

If I had to compile my own greatest Gossip hits, there would be 5-6 songs that would come from "A Joyful Noise" alone. I guess that's enough testiment to much I reall like the new Gossip.

Imaginaerum
Imaginaerum
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant Masterpiece!!, 8 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Imaginaerum (Audio CD)
This is the album I'm rocking to these days....Nightwish's Imaginaerum
The release of this album caught my by surprise for 2 reasons:
- Firstly, cause I'm well aware that Nightwish take their time to come up with new material; I was expecting they'll release something in 2012.
- And secondly, cause somehow I have missed any news of it's arrival while digging the blogosphere....
So when I saw that there's a new Nightwish record in town, I rushed to get it without listening to a single sample.
And sometimes that's the best thing you can do to be able to listen without prejudice, and man was I blown away.
When Dark Passion Play came out, I loved the music to bits, but was not a big fan of Anette's voice. Nonetheless, with time I got used to it, and I came to get past that.

So while giving Imaginaerum its first spin, I was quite pleased that Anette's vocals were not a distraction at all.
This time around two things have happened. Anette has grown in confidence, and the music has been written with her vocal range in mind. So while all that is great news for the Nightwish camp, and I don't wanna take anything away from Anette; I'll always have the nagging feeling that there are better female vocalists out there who could overtake her given the chance.
But speaking of the album in general, I guess it's very safe to say it's their best/most complete album to date.
Love the musical themes, arrangements, variations and the sublime playing. Nightwish play so well together that when you hear the music as a whole, you get the sense that it's the product of a very well oiled machine that does no wrong; pure perfection up to the last note.
Tuomas Holopainen has done an amazing job with all the symphonic arrangements, and compositions. His talent is something so exceptional that it beguiles his tender age of 34. I wonder if anyone else is capable of coming up with such mature work this young.
When considering that Imaginaerum packs 13 tracks (not a single song to skip or take off) and 1.2 hours of true sonic pleasure, Nightwish are one of those very rare bands that are the very essence of value for money.
Naturally, it you're a fan, getting the deluxe edition (for an extra 2 Euros) is a no brainer. The bonus disk contains the instrumental versions of all the tracks in their ultimate symphonic glory.

So if the above in not enough proof that I'm in love with this record, Let me assure you that when it comes to ratings, I'll give it 11/10.
While all this is very positive, I honestly don't wanna imagine how Nightwish is gonna top this offering in the coming years. But the most important thing now, is that we have enough material to rock to for 2-3 years ...

Earth [Blu-ray]
Earth [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a shameless marketing scheme, 17 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Earth [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I'm so pissed off at myself for making the classic mistake of not really taking the time to read the negative reviews.
They are all right, this is a shameless marketing scheme by BBC to repackage and resell a product that already exists (I already own the complete Planet Earth series). This offering is such an inferior product next to the mentioned box set; and the uninspired/boring narrative by Sir Patrick Stewart does nothing to salvage this Blue-ray from mediocrity.

This was a learning experience, thank you very much BBC!
Utterly unrecommended!!!

National Geographic - Great Migrations [Blu-ray]
National Geographic - Great Migrations [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Stephen Fry

2.0 out of 5 stars Very mediocre, 10 May 2011
I purchased and watched this after having seen several BBC World Blue-rays, so my critical standards were quite high. After all National Geographic has built a reputation that spans for many decades, and is well known for being the best at what it does. Stephan Fry being one of my favorite narrators, I was really looking forward to be blown away. But the truth is very different than what I anticipated.

Yes! The images are immaculately shot; but that's what you expect from National Geographic. Yes! Stephan Fry has one of the most soothing voices of all time. But what this set sorely misses is depth, scientific depth that is.

The content is so superficial, that quite often I was left wondering, "but why?" "How come?" Great migrations does not attempt to answer questions that might arise. It simply presents things as they are, in a very linear fashion, with Stephan Fry's narrative being nothing but an exercise in stating the obvious. After a while such a narrative becomes a nuisance, simply because it does not add anything substantial.

I don't really need someone telling me "and the elephants start quenching their thirst around the lake..." when I can bloody well see that for myself.

Surprisingly, the extras included are the most intriguing and interesting aspects of the whole documentary. Seeing how the scientists devised methods to track down the migrating animals was quite refreshing and insightful.

National Geographic is massively behind BBC World when it comes to quality wildlife documentaries. I urge anyone who is impressed by this offering to have a look at any of BBC's wildlife series presented by the great David Attenborough.

All in all, I learned very little watching this set, and in the future I shall be extra cautious about purchasing other National Geographic products.

Push [Blu-ray]
Push [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Dakota Fanning
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre can't even start to describe this, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Push [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is one HEROS inspired movie gone horribly wrong. And it has major potential for being one of the worst movies of it's genre.

Where to begin? Unconvincing acting, medicore visual effects, stale storyline, no real suspense or climax and one of the worst endings that I have ever seen.

One of the rare bluerays I bought without actually having seen the movie at the movie theater; wouldn't recommend you do te same.

Up: Special Edition +DVD
Up: Special Edition +DVD
Offered by Springwood Media

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing reissue, 24 Mar. 2011
As one of the best selling albums of the 90s' "UP" deserved a much better reissue.
What is wrong with this one you ask? Well ..

1- It comes with a miserable 2 page booklet ( it can't really be called a booklet) with NO Lyrics, NO images, NO linear notes, just 3 lines of credits and copyright crap.
2- The included DVD is of horrible quality. All videos except for one (I'm too sexy 2007 edition) are extremely grainy & compressed and doesn't surpass Youtube quality.
I don't see this DVD as a bonus asset when you can find these videos on Youtube for free.
3- In an age when 2-3 hour movies could be squeezed onto a single DVD, this one comes with just 8 short videos (approx. 30-35 mints), NO past or new interviews, and nothing substantial to make the DVD well worth it.

Sadly, if you own the original version, nothing here would justify the purchase of this reissue (not even the new remixes).
For for those who passed on it the 1st time around, this is really for you. So it's not all that bad.

Live At The Aragon
Live At The Aragon

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Average, 22 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Live At The Aragon (Audio CD)
For a Band that such great taste when it comes to album artwork, this DVD is very average both visually and sonically.
I totally disliked the lighting, and the insipid camera work.
There are far superior concert DVDs/Blue-rays out there... Mastodon should have taken a look at Rush's latest DVD "Snakes and Arrows" to see just how good concert movies could be in this day and age.