Profile for Miss Chisholm > Reviews

Content by Miss Chisholm

Miss Chisholm "Redmagda" (London)

Flesh
Flesh

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves every one of these 5 stars., 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Flesh (Kindle Edition)
To me, the definition of a good read is one that you can't wait to finish but don't want to because you're enjoying the ride too much!
I'm a fan of fantasy fiction and I love being taken to places just outside my comfort zone. Kylie Scott takes us places that are both unlikely and daring. A well written witty read with characters you will fall for, plot twists that will surprise you and just the right amount hot kink that you'll think 50 Shades was tame.
If, like me, you enjoy the Southern Vampire mysteries, Douglas Adams etc series the author's style will both enrapture you and refresh you. She is clearly an intelligent woman who doesn't assume her reader needs her story dumbed down. The vocabulary is refreshing and the rollercoaster story keeps you glued to your kindle.

Honestly Healthy: Eat with your body in mind, the alkaline way
Honestly Healthy: Eat with your body in mind, the alkaline way
by Natasha Corrett

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly Easy - and interesting too!, 9 Jun 2012
This book is inspiring... I've had it less than 24 hours and I've already made two recipes! The premise of the book is tagged as "alkaline" - however, this really wasn't my main reason for buying it. I am gluten/cow's milk intolerant and was hoping to find some healthy recipes I could adapt - not knowing that gluten ans cow's milk are two of the the things that the authors encourage avoiding. The book is also vegetarian, which I am not, though in these frugal times it's useful to have interesting and delicious meals that you can cook well without expensive meat/fish. I'd happily serve these at a "normal" dinner party - might even invite my vege mates round just so I can show off!

All the recipes are very accessible - I had most of the ingredients in my kitchen already - you may have to invest in some specialist flours and consider where you may find some "goats cheddar" (I found mine in my local supermarket with much surprise!) - and I suggest you buy some raw cacao powder and make the chocolate mousse (with the strange green ingredient) because it is absolutely to die for - and 100% guilt free! The instructions are clear and easy to follow - if you have a small understanding of food prep you'll find them a doddle.

The authors have clearly thought this through - and not just jummped on a band wagon to bang a drum, the "pitch" is sensible and doesn't make sensationalist promises. I have a collection of healthy eating diet and cookery books to rival the stock here in Amazon and this is absolutely the best one I have found so far. It's practical as well as being beautifully presented and a book I will buy to give as a gift in future. If this is what the authors/producers were going for then they have hit the nail on the head! VERY well done! Thanks!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2013 9:14 AM BST

Auntie Mame: An Irreverent Escapade (Penguin Modern Classics)
Auntie Mame: An Irreverent Escapade (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Patrick Dennis

4.0 out of 5 stars Good old fashioned romp....., 20 Nov 2010
I bought this book after reading a short review on a blog that I regularly follow. I really enjoyed reading it. The era is beautifully projected through wonderfully descriptive writing and characterisation. The story is written in the first person, the character is Auntie Mame's orphaned nephew who, even at the age of ten, is fully aware of the extremities of his aunt's exuberance. The innocent comments in relation to her "suitors" are perfectly pitched so as not to blot the reputation of the child making them, but just sharp enough to illustrate very clearly just how "with the times" Auntie Mame really was. It's not a convincingly true story and it's not remotely "shocking" to this century's audience - but it's certainly diverting and made me laugh out loud at times! Well worth a read.

Valley Of The Dolls/Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls [DVD]
Valley Of The Dolls/Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls [DVD]
Dvd ~ Barbara Parkins

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the book - it's MUCH better!, 9 April 2010
Having just read the cult classic novel of the first movie I really wanted to see what the film-makers take would be on the story. Often there is something lost between page and screen, and in this case that was just about everything. The subtle changes to the story (!) and the rush to get to the end really spoil the "coming of age" nature of the plot. The friendships between the lead characters are not strongly enough established to be convincing when facing conflict later in the story.
Shame really, it smacks of sordid B-movie, however, it's not all that sordid and I think it played as a main feature. Very disappointing all round. So much so, that I didn't even watch the second DVD!

Simple Crochet
Simple Crochet
by Erika Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly!, 5 May 2003
This review is from: Simple Crochet (Paperback)
This book inspires you to create something really up to the minute. The three (yes only three!) basic stitches are clearly illustrated with simple wording that makes them very easy to follow. If crochet was something that you saw at your school bring and buy sale then - get over it with this book. Take a wonderful, useful craft into the 21st century and cherish your new groovy stuff - house guests will think you've spent a fortune when all you've done is popped into the post office for a couple of balls of string!

The Baby Knits Book: The Ultimate Collection of Knitwear Designs for 0-3 Year Olds
by Debbie Bliss

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for beginners, 31 Dec 2002
Having been familiar with Debbie Bliss's designs for approximately 3 years I was thrilled to have this book in my lap. The patterns are easy to follow and you can see a picture of what you're aiming for next to the instructions. The designs suggest usage of Debbie's own range of yarn, which in my experience does give the best results, however, the designs are so simple that you can quite easily adapt them to other brands. My favorite is a super design for a raglan pull over in a cashmere/merino arran which is heavenly and VERY quick and easy - great present for an unexpected arrival! The most wonderful thing about this book is that you can acheive a really trendy and professional result with very basic skills, there are other little projects which will test and challenge you. It even made me brave enough to try some fairilse!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2012 1:16 PM GMT