Profile for Mr. S. M. Hodgkins > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. M. Hodgkins

Mr. S. M. Hodgkins "MAXwillgetyou" (Devon, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug [DVD] [2013]
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman

2.0 out of 5 stars Will anyone even read this?, 13 Jun. 2015
This is what you get.

A few minutes of a film based pretty closely on J.R. Tolkien's book "The Hobbit", with characters well portrayed by decent actors and events showing a glimpse of the wonder from the book.

Then

Characters and events not from the book, involving running and fighting that stretch out for many minutes, and I feel confused and bored.

Then.

A few minutes of a film based pretty closely on J.R. Tolkien's book "The Hobbit", with characters well portrayed by decent actors and events showing a glimpse of the wonder from the book, which also includes the welcome introduction of the dragon.

Then

Ages and ages of characters and events not from the book, involving running and fighting and ABSOLUTELY NO STORY and I'm feeling old and confused and I'm not even 40 yet.

It would seem the fact I read this book has made it impossible (for me at least) to understand what the point of this film is. Everyone else seems to love it so I guess I'm the odd one out.
One star goes to the small amount of story taken from "The Hobbit" which is great, plus one star goes to the few times the cast were aloud to speak and portray events from the book and also for how pretty it all looks.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2015 11:34 AM BST

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars can't stand the the tension? well your not alone, 12 Mar. 2015
I bought these even though a couple of reviews said they were a bit small. Well, they seemed to fit ok, touching the sides as it were, but when I started to tune the guitar, the tension pulled them straight out. Nothing I do seems to prevent this. Nothing is certain in this world and I knew there was a chance this might happen as all guitars are different as we all know. They look good and will no doubt fit other guitars, so I think 3 stars is fair as they are clearly not perfect.

English Rose
English Rose
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars It was the.....blues you gave me, 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: English Rose (Audio CD)
I love this album.
It is early Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green on vocals and Guitar, Jeremy Spencer on Slide Guitar and vocals and Danny Kirwen on vocals and guitar. I only mention these three as they are the most influential members of the band at the time and all three are involved in the song writing. This album (the third by the band) was only originally released in America. It includes a about half of the songs on their second album, Mr Wonderful, which had not been released in the U.S. All a bit strange really.
It has a great mix of upbeat tracks as well as the classic slower "bluesy" tracks and everything in between. Songs like "Doctor Brown" and Stop Messin' around" are great fun with life affirming lyrics, upbeat rhythms and brash confident guitar playing."Evenin' Boogie is just that, an infectious boogie that anyone could dance to. Slowing things down, "Something Inside of Me" really strikes a cord with me, a real high point. Things get pretty dark with "A love that Burns", anxious and sad. " I've lost my Baby" , is great, I love the singing in this track and especially the way the guitar becomes more and more expressive as the song progresses. The all time classics "Black Magic Woman" and "Albatross" are here, although I find Albatross (although beautiful) to be a bit incongruous on this collection of songs, perhaps it does add to the variety though?
The other tracks I have not mentioned are by no means just filler, they all add to the album, making it a fine collection of blues styles. Easily one of my favourites in the genre.
The only downside to the package as a whole is that I would really like to know who plays, sings and writes on each tune, something I feel is unclear.

The Classic Years 1927-1940
The Classic Years 1927-1940

5.0 out of 5 stars "How ye wanna go Jessie"?, 9 Feb. 2013
There are far too many fine moments on this collection to go into so here are just a few thoughts.
McTell never really had any big hits in his life time, but was able, due to his charisma, motivation and quality to make many recordings. Much of his output is here in this collection, split up into convenient disks, each of which covers a particular period in time.
Completely blind by his mid teens, Blind Willy taught himself to play a picking/strumming technique on 12 string guitar. In fact, it is my understanding that all his recordings are on 12 string. Acompanying his playing is a voice that is melodic and clear. At times, he combines his voice with his playing in a way that is sublime in the truest sense. At other times, his playing takes centre stage and I don't think it is over the top to suggest that this man achieved levels of ability with the guitar that will take your breath away. He covers various styles from blues to ragtime and folk to religious songs. In fact for me, it's this variety in his music that makes him so appealing to me.
Among the many highlights in this collection include Searching the Desert for the Blues, a beautifully sung and played piece that will convince you there are 2 guitar players here, the playing is that good. In fact this occures time and again throughout this collection (it should be noted that guitar player Curley Weaver features heavily on disk 2 and about half the tracks on disk 3,so there really are 2 players at times). Disk 4 is a compelling window into 40's America were Willy is interviewed by John Lomax, a folk music archivist. Here he plays some of his best (in my opinion)and vibrant music for Lomax. Dying Crap Shooters Blues is for me one his finest moments, the interaction of voice and guitar is achingly good and his lyrical content to me seems years ahead of his time, the line " I want 9 men going to the graveyard, but only 8 men coming back", in context with the song is inspired. On "I got to cross the river Jordan" he gets to show off his slide technique to great effect and on "Kill-it-Kid Rag" he lightens the mood with a joyfull ragtime number which is played with impressive speed and precision, much to the amusement of the Lomax's. Disk 4 also includes various comments and interviews that give insight into the times and the man.
In conclusion it's easy to see why the White Stripes loved his style and used it as inpiration for so much of their sound. Blind Willy Mctell for me doesn't have nearly a high enough profile. Maybe it's because he sadly died before the blues revival in the late 50's and 60's.

Mens More Mile Black PALERMO short Sleeve running top
Mens More Mile Black PALERMO short Sleeve running top

5.0 out of 5 stars What a bargain!, 14 Sept. 2012
I bought a couple of these 9 months ago. They feel good to wear, keep you comfortable in hot and cold environments, wick well and last for at least, well, 9 months. Due to the nature of running, these garments are worn and washed regularly, they are the only 2 tops I use at this time so have coped really well considering the hammering they get and will clearly keep going for some time. They are a snug fit, which luckily I prefer, but if you like baggy, then go a size up like others have suggested.

The Dark Knight Rises (DVD) [2012]
The Dark Knight Rises (DVD) [2012]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by Bridge_Records

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasing dose of Batman, 14 Aug. 2012
Gotham has been at peace for 8 years and Batman remains in hiding having taken the blame for the death of the so called hero Harvey Dent. However , chaos is never far away in Gotham and so another maniac has come to wreak havoc there. Bruce Wayne and his empire have entered a major decline. Can he bring himself back from the brink to save Gotham once more? This is the basic premise of the film. The story centres mainly around Bruce Wayne's physical and mental problems and how he can overcome them in order to stop the insane Bane charactor who is hell bent on quite literaly destroying Gotham. Along the way Bruce meets new charactors, will they help or hinder him? For his part, Bane is a competant and menacing enemy. A formidable demon in hand to hand combat, he does however lack the dynamism of previous baddies. Personaly he ranks more as a top henchman than a mastermind. Also I found him hard to understand when speaking due to his altered voice and the fact that the music is often mixed too loudly, even during conversations. However, the world of Batman and Gotham is as dark and as desperate as ever, although I would have liked to have seen more of Batman, I enjoyed the story of Bruce's decline and his eventual resurection as Batman. There is more interaction between Gotham and the rest of the world than is usual in a Batman film, this does detract slightly from the sense of claustrophobic doom we normaly see in Gotham, but is appropriate given the truly cataclismic plans of Bane. As the story reaches it's climax, there are several twists at the end including betrayal that adds nicely to the film and highlights the uphill struggle Batman faces. Although the ending is a little convenient, I found the film as a whole an ejoyable immersion in the Batman universe. Something I enjoy doing from time to time. A lot has been said about the length of the film. The way I see it,if you're enjoying the film then the length is imaterial, if on the other hand you're having a bad time, then you will complain. Take from that what you will. I feel we were spoiled by the previous episode. It is rare that a comic book film is taken to such a high level. However, "The Dark Knight Rises" for me is easily on a pare with Nolan's first effort and is a worthy addition to the Batman series.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2012 4:24 PM BST

My Bloody Valentine 2D [DVD]
My Bloody Valentine 2D [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jensen Ackles
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

2.0 out of 5 stars keep your money, 30 Jun. 2012
This review is from: My Bloody Valentine 2D [DVD] (DVD)
Just watched this free of charge on sky player and still feel ripped off.
You're thrown straight into the deep end with no real story at all, realy, nothing. None of the characters are likeable, the acting is some of the worse I have seen. The directors attempts to create suspense and tension in many scenes falls flat and is completely laughable, the bar fight scene especialy. You will know who the bad guy is within 20 minutes.Everyone falls over and yes, he's behind you. Hackneyed and predictable throughout, best avoided.

Snickers Peanut Butter Squared
Snickers Peanut Butter Squared

4.0 out of 5 stars Peanuts upon peanuts., 15 May 2012
Many people, including myself like a snickers from time to time, after all what's not to like? Chocolate, caramel ,nougat and peanuts. Well my brother recently went to N.Y. and brought back a few (too few) of these bad boys. As seems to be popular in the U.S. you take a nice thing and then add peanut butter. In this case with sensational results. Although I couldn't eat them all the time being as rich as they are, these peanut butter snickers are very nice indeed. The extra peanut flavour from the added peanut butter really works with these.
Sadly as I have to review the package as a whole, one star should be lost for the price. £2.79 for a chocolate bar that is sold in the U.S. for 79cents is a high price to pay on a regular basis. Obviously this is because they are imported but the price should be figured in.
That aside, well worth a try.

American Gangster
American Gangster
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny what a bit of perspective can do., 21 Jun. 2011
This review is from: American Gangster (Audio CD)
About a year ago I bought this album and thought it was ok. I wasn't into rap at the time and was suprised that it was better than I though it would be as I didn't like rap at all. I listened a few times and moved on.
In the last twelve months or so I have gone on a bit of a mini rap odessey trawling back catalogues and disovering rap artists like Eminem, wu tang, gravediggas, gang starr, mobb deep etc. and have developed a love for the energy, mood and culture of this music.
The other day I picked up American Gangster again and found myself wanting to skip tracks, frustrated with what was on offer.
I like the atmosphere of this album, the recurrent theme idea is something I have always enjoyed in an album. My favourite track is success with Nas. I love the keyboards and the lyrics and they seem to enjoy the colaboration. Hello Brooklyn is one I like as well, again lyricaly and the beat is good. Falling is very nice too.
Unfortunately thats where my enjoyment ends. I find a lot of the rest flat and lacking in the energy of other artists.
I'm not sure I hear what other people hear when I listen to this album.

Garlic Press Alloy, With Nut Cracker & Cherry Stoner
Garlic Press Alloy, With Nut Cracker & Cherry Stoner
Offered by kitchen essentials

3.0 out of 5 stars if you care, here goes..., 3 Mar. 2011
like the other reviewer, i couldn't find one in my local supermarket,so i ordered this one. compared to my previous one it has a small chamber for the garlic to go in, meaning it is hard to clean, and when you "press", unpressed garlic is forced out of the chamber and drops everywhere. also the plate that crushes the garlic is not fixed, it is on a hinge so you have to aim it into the chamber everytime. I will go to a cookshop and buy a new one i can view like I should have done in the first place.
Yes it does press garlic.
Yes I do have too much time on my hands.

Page: 1 | 2