Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Health Trap: Why "Healthy" Eating Isn't Always Healthy
The Health Trap: Why "Healthy" Eating Isn't Always Healthy

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 4 Oct 2014
Interesting book with some good guidance on what we should be considering in terms of what we eat and the possible effects in might be having on our body. It does not contain any recommended menus but requires the reader to record their eating habits and notice the effects it is having on their health. If you do not want to start keeping records then this is probably not for you, however, there is a lot of useful information for you to consider. I enjoyed the book but the three star was decided due this type of book being a bit of a sales document to pull in more clients. Also I never received the downloads. Less mention of the writers clients might have read better.

Schoenhut Oak Mahogany Ukulele
Schoenhut Oak Mahogany Ukulele

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality, 28 Dec 2013
Delivery was fine but the build quality is poor with cheap strings and it could not be tuned. The bridge is of a very cheap plastic and the tuners do not work. In the thirty pound range there are many better ukuleles out there for a child. This was bought as a present and was returned. No problem returning which was easy I just repackaged and dropped it off at a local pick up point, a few days later a refund was given. Amazon service was excellent as usual and the one star only reflects the quality of the product,
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2013 3:26 PM GMT

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1-inch - (White, Wi-Fi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1-inch - (White, Wi-Fi)
Offered by Digital.Camz

3.0 out of 5 stars Not user friendly, 24 Nov 2013
I bought this for my wife and wanted to set it up so she could use it without bothering me with problems. However after trying to set up the apps I new she would want I could not instal her favorite home page, Yahoo.co.uk.so off to see my grandson who loved it but could not get the Yahoo home page, neither could a couple of other techies. So now I have to sit down and get my wife to start using Google, this will not be fun.
This is a great tablet if you know what you're doing but not user friendly for the rest. Although I have no real problem with Tab 3, the Kindle Fire is more user friendly from start up. To be honest we did manage to set up the other five apps I new she would need.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2013 6:48 PM GMT

Snark All Instrument Clip On Tuner
Snark All Instrument Clip On Tuner

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Tuner, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: Snark All Instrument Clip On Tuner
Was delivered within a reasonable timescale . Fits on a ukulele or guitar easily and stays put, the display can be turned to give a good viewing angle and it is easy to use. Much better than my previous Seiko and Intellitouch tuners. Not much more to say apart from would definitely recommend.

B-STOCK/COSMETIC UKULELE CLEARWATER CONCERT UKE IN HIGH GLOSS MAHOGANY
B-STOCK/COSMETIC UKULELE CLEARWATER CONCERT UKE IN HIGH GLOSS MAHOGANY

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality instrument and great fun, 25 Aug 2013
The Clearwater Concert Ukulele arrived after four days from RUMC and, as others have said, was really well packed. My first impressions were good although there was no label to say they were Aquila strings as I have seen on Ukuleles in various music shops. RUMC say they are Aquila type strings so I'm not sure what the make is, however, they tuned up easily and sound fine. I have read in some forums of strings taking months to start to stay in tune but after two weeks they need less and less adjustment. I normally play a Ramirez nylon string guitar with a solid cedar top and in a way I was concerned I might be expecting to much in terms of quality but I'm impressed with the great sound. This is my first ukulele and I'm having great fun just strumming away and learning a few more chords as I go. The ukulele is well made with no sharp frets and the distance between nut and last fret is equal on both sides. The intonation seems to be fine when testing at the 12 fret with open string, the method suggested in one of the e books. The machine heads seem to be of reasonable quality and are holding the strings in tension so far.
I would recommend the Clearwater Concert to someone new to the instrument, either adult or kids, to get them interested in playing a musical instrument and having fun. There are loads of sites that give tips and lessons making it easy to get started. If you have come from another instrument I would recommend the book' Starting Ukulele The Next Step' by Steven Sproat, as it's not to basic.

Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
by Dan Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars A OK read, 30 July 2013
Is this a work of fiction or a travel guide? The opening in the hospital is similar to other books The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest and the' The Key'. This is a two chapter a night (very short chapters) which will have you sleeping soundly.
I normally finish a Dan Brown book which is more than I can say for some other fiction writers. So it's worth a read if you're not in a hurry. It picks up a bit towards the end and in a way I missed my two chapters a night. In fairness I finished the last eighty pages in one night so that says something.
The theme is overpopulation, the Malthusian problem, which we refuse to address and hopefully has been brought to the attention of those zealots who are determined to swamp the earth with bodies, although I doubt it.
A reasonable light read for the holiday or just getting to sleep after a day's work.

Diet and Health With Key to the Calories
Diet and Health With Key to the Calories

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little book on Kindle, 9 May 2013
This is one of the best diet/health books you will ever read or need. Written with lots of common sense and at the early part of the 20th century. As I remember it was free on kindle and as usual some of the tables are a bit less formed. Due to the changes in dietary habits over the years you might have to adapt a bit.

Augustine Blue Classical Guitar Strings Set
Augustine Blue Classical Guitar Strings Set
Offered by Ferris Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Concerns about packaging, 26 Mar 2013
The strings were delivered the next day. I was a bit concerned as the strings were not in the individual blue sleeves so I wrote to Augustine who responded as follows.

"The strings you received are authentic. We discontinued coloring the ends in 2005 for two reasons, first, the process added no sonic advantage and added to cost, second, the coloring process required the strings to be exposed to air longer which the coloring dyes dried. This increased the strings' exposure to air with accelerates tarnishing.

In 2010 we began producing all Blue, Red, Black, Gold, Regal/Blue, and Imperial/Red sets in the new packaging you received. The reduces the number of packaging pieces from 14 to 5, significantly reducing waste and dramatically cutting down on the plastic we use. With the three envelopes, however, you still have the opportunity to save strings if you do not change them all at once. We also use paper that is a blend of FSC renewable eucalyptus pulp and post-consumer recycled paper. We know of no other string manufacturer who does this. "

Good service from the supplier.

Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for., 26 Dec 2012
Out of the box it took a few minutes to figure out how to switch on and open. Referred to the very minimum booklet and away it went. It easily identified the available WiFi router and once I entered the router code it then picked up all my kindle reader books from my account. This is a problem as I didn't ask it to, and Amazon had automatically assumed it was for me. A security problem so I had a look for a set up screen but the Fire is not user friendly so I decided to leave this to the heavy team( son and grandson) to sort out. It now needed charging so I connected the USB cable to my existing kindle socket and left it for a few hours.

When fully charged I had a play with it and although I new about the nuisance with Amazon flogging their goods I hadn't imagined it would we this bad. I had heard that for around £10 this could be removed but didn't see anything immediately obvious on Amazon site.

Viewing books was easy but screens quite bright so will use mainly e reader. Internet viewing and e mails are also fine. Games and apps have to be downloaded and a few are free. I'm not sure what apps I need so time will tell as I experiment. Sometimes I found it hard to get the home screen icon to appear and I'm not sure why this should be. I didn't expect a fantastic picture but the quality so far is OK. The home screen is rubbish and I hope I can change this.

Apart from advertising my main concern is security as much of my information is held in the cloud and the fact that it automatically goes directly to my Amazon account without asking me to identify myself and log in. To me this seems the simplest of basic protection. The other issue is what security is in place to protect against viruses etc.

It's still early days so I'm not sure if it will be with me for long, I would have preferred a Samsung or Apple but at £99 on special it was less than half the price of an Apple 7 inch and you get what you pay for. As my main use will be web browsing, e mail, pictures, music and a few apps and games it should be sufficient.

1Q84: Books 1, 2 and 3
1Q84: Books 1, 2 and 3
by Haruki Murakami

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow but well written, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: 1Q84: Books 1, 2 and 3 (Paperback)
It took me a long time to get through. I have read many of Murakami's books and enjoyed them all, however this one was particularly long as I bought the three books in one. Maybe it would have been better to read the books separately over time. I almost gave up several times as it was so slow. I'm of two minds about the theme, was there really one or did Murakami not have a clear idea and just went with the flow and concentrate on the characters. The book finishes with an opportunity if not a need for a sequel, however, I'm not sure that's Murakami's style.
I can understand why some people might find this book hard going and I'm not really sure if it was worth the effort, but if Murakami comes out with a book 4, about a third world, I doubt if I could resist buying it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3