Profile for D. Frost > Reviews

Content by D. Frost

D. Frost "DF" (Washington, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
TECHGEAR® - OTG USB Adapter Cable for Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 SM-T350 SM-T351 SM-T355, Tab 4 8.0 SM-T330 SM-T331 SM-T335, Tab 3 8.0 Inch SM-T310 T311 & T315 - On The Go Micro USB to Female USB Adapter
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, 25 Jun. 2015
Does what it says. I was able to connect an external USB memory stick without issues. I wasn't able to access an external USB hard drive however, even though it was a mains powered device not drawing power via USB. This is probably due to my galaxy tab 3 not supporting the NTFS file system rather than an issue with the adapter however so can't crisis it.

Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box
Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture quality, 8 Aug. 2014
Been using one of these since I got fibre broadband last October. I subscribed to Netflix so I could get rid of Sky TV's basic package (saving about £21 a month). I use it with my 32" flat screen TV via HDMI and with other TVs via an RF modulator which I bought separately for about £18. Picture quality is amazing and channels available now include ITV and YouTube. These joined iPlayer, 4od, demand 5, VEVO, Vimeo among many others. I can also use Twonky and Plex to stream content from my other devices. You do need a fast Internet connection though. I get 45Mbps from fibre when I was only getting 1.6Mbps from ADSL.

Anker® Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 8-inch [2-Pack] - Xtreme Scratch Defender Crystal-Clear High-Response Premium with Lifetime Warranty
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product, 4 Jun. 2014
I fitted one of these to my Galaxy Tab 3 8.0. The oil repellant coating seems to reduce smudges and there isn't any noticeable loss in image quality, assuming you don't have problems with the high gloss finish.

EasyAcc® 7W Portable Solar Charger Panel for Cell Phone iPhone Android Smartphone Samsung Galaxy HTC Bluetooth Speakers
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store

4.0 out of 5 stars More realistic than integrated units if you live in the UK, 1 Jun. 2013
**BE AWARE** This device has no voltage regulator and can produce over 6 volts in bright sunlight. If you find your device will not charge it may be due to the device protecting itself from possible damage. See edit 1 at the bottom for more detail.

I bought this for two reasons. Firstly to recharge the battery bank I already own (different manufacturer). I live in the north of England so most integrated solar chargers simply aren't going to cut it due to the small size of their solar panels. Larger panels don't just generate more power, hopefully they will make more of the limited sun light available here. Secondly I wanted to be able to directly charge my devices as this is more efficient. When using the battery bank I'm only getting about 40% transfer efficiency. In other words the 5600mAh unit only charges my 1460mAh phone battery about one and a half times, equivalent to around 2200mAh. It's obviously therefore a lot better to directly charge your devices as it takes two and a half times as long to do so via an intermediate battery.

I have 5 devices which I tested on the 31st of May 2013, the hottest day of the year so far (17 degrees C!) with generally clear skies. Here are my findings:

Nook Simple Touch eReader. This works really well and will charge even with hazy sunlight. It charges at about mains charger speed.

Sony Xperia Miro. My main phone. This proved temperamental and would only start to charge with strong direct sunlight. It still managed to charge from 68% to 95% in around an hour so it will be viable if you are planning a trip to more sunny climbs. I was unable to get it to charge after about 5pm even though the sun was strong enough to make the panel quite warm to the touch. See edit 1 below for follow up comments.

Nokia N96. This entered charging mode more readily than the Sony. I couldn't really tell how fast it was charging though, as the battery indicator doesn't give a percentage reading.

Apple iPod Nano (5th gen). This wouldn't charge even when there was enough light to charge the Miro. This may not bode well for iPhone users.

Battery Bank. This readily enters charging mode even with fairly modest light. As a test, I fully charged it from the mains before using it to charge my Miro by about 10%. I then used the solar panel to recharge it. This took over an hour but it finally got back to fully charged (all indicator lights on constantly).

Edit 1: I have been experimenting with charging my Miro phone as this is the most important device for me. I eventually discovered that partially covering the panel would cause the Miro to start charging. I checked the output using a meter and found that it was producing 6.06 volts rather than the normal 5 volts you get from a USB port. This must have been tripping the phone's over voltage protection. As an experiment I connected a cheap (under £5) solar charger I had bought on eBay some time ago (which has a dud battery) in series with the panel. The panel connected to the charging port and the output connected to the phone. It has a built in VOLTAGE REGULATOR that stops over loading the phones input. It worked like a charm and will now charge my phone under a wide range of lighting. As these things cost a few pennies, I've knocked a star off my rating because of this omission.

Edit 2: Just a follow up to my original review. I was able to power my Miro phone entirely on solar power for over 4 months last summer, June - October. The second week in October finally forced me to revert to mains charging. A full charge takes 3-4 hours on a sunny day. The longer times were later in the year when the sun being lower in the sky has lower ultraviolet content. I eventually started to use my battery bank in "pass through" mode. This allows it to act as a regulator to the solar panel, prioritizing the phone and only charging itself once the phone is fully charged. Not all battery banks can operate like this, so check before you buy.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2014 1:16 PM BST

The Little Grey Men: A Story for the Young in Heart
The Little Grey Men: A Story for the Young in Heart
by B B

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic, 27 May 2013
I remember the teacher reading this story to the class in junior school. I didn't know what the book was called but remembered the name "Cloudberry", one of the central characters. It took a bit of searching but it was worth it.

Sony Xperia Miro Case Xperia Miro Black Silicone X-Line Gel Cover
Sony Xperia Miro Case Xperia Miro Black Silicone X-Line Gel Cover

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice case, 27 May 2013
This is much better than the original case I purchased. I particularly like the way the phone buttons are completely enclosed and replicated by the case itself. This makes them easier to press and keeps grit away from the phone. The previous case simply had cut aways that made the buttons hard to press and accumulated dirt.

Uni-Ball Vision Needle UB187 Rollerball, Black, Pack of 5 Pens
Uni-Ball Vision Needle UB187 Rollerball, Black, Pack of 5 Pens
Offered by I Love Pens

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pens and a good price, 5 Mar. 2013
I have been using these pens for a couple of years now. I like all of the Uni-Ball pens but these are my favourites. This price works out at around half what I paid for individual pens in a local stationary shop.

Philips HQ56/50 Super Lift and Cut Replacement Shaving Head Unit
Philips HQ56/50 Super Lift and Cut Replacement Shaving Head Unit
Offered by Jeremiah Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaver is as good as new, 5 Mar. 2013
The part numbers are a bit confusing but these fit all of my shavers. I think there are more part numbers than actual parts.

MEElectronics M9P In-Ear Headset with inline microphone and remote - Black
MEElectronics M9P In-Ear Headset with inline microphone and remote - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Perspective of a Koss Porta Pro user, 5 Mar. 2013
I have been using these for 10 days now. I held off reviewing them until they had a chance to 'burn in'.

I normally use Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ), which I love, but which are a bit awkward to put in your pocket. I have never been a fan of in ear headphones finding the 'hard' type painful to wear. I've recently tried some soft silicon types and found them to be comfortable, even for extended periods, so I thought I would buy a pair for my new Smartphone.

The sound from these is generally very good, especially considering the asking price of £16 (complete with a nice hard case). There is a great deal of detail but a slightly bright presentation. Bass is more forceful than my Porta Pros but isn't quite as 'tuneful'.

The bottom line is that warm sounding recordings such as classical music and 60s pop records sound really nice with a real sense of atmosphere. However, some forwardness and colouration in the upper mid range / lower treble can make heavily processed modern recordings sound quite tiresome to listen to. A little EQ on my Sony Xperia Miro phone, to boost vocals and cut lower treble, helps to ameliorate this.

Edit: I forgot to mention the in-line remote works fine. If you want to skip tracks (forward or back) or adjust the volume you will need to install an app. There are several on Google Play and I use the free Jays headphone app. You need to run this before pressing the standby button on the phone and you don't need to touch the phone again. My iPod Nano also works with these and you can pause and skip but I haven't been able to adjust the volume on this as there are no dedicated volume buttons. I have also made a phone call using the in line microphone without any issues.

Edit 2: I am now using the Philips headphone app as I find it more reliable than the Jays one and it automatically runs when I plug in the headphones. I have turned off its audio processing features though. You do need to spend some time experimenting with the different ear buds and practice fitting the earphones. I push the cartilage of my ear back with my index fingers and push the earphones firmly in with my thumbs at the same time. This stops air being trapped in the ear canal, with the distortion this causes, but allows a decent amount of bass.

Screen Protector For Sony Xperia Miro / Pack of 5
Screen Protector For Sony Xperia Miro / Pack of 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 5 Mar. 2013
Sony supplied a screen protector with the phone (Xperia Miro), which I wrecked trying to get the air bubbles out. Although they have slightly different packaging, these seems to be the same type and quality. Unless you have experience applying these things, you may want to buy a few spares to experiment with.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3