Profile for James > Reviews

Content by James

James (Great Missenden, Bucks United Kingdom)

Mixolydian
Mixolydian
Price: 12.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., 8 April 2006
This review is from: Mixolydian (Audio CD)
I'm not quite sure how to describe this album to you. It really doesn't fit any genre that I've seen before.
The closest I have managed is "Drum 'n' Bagpipe Techno Folk Dance", and I really don't think that acurately descibes it. The only way to understand is to listen to it and make up your own mind. There's no way I can do it justice.
If this album was a food, it would be marmite - you will either love it or hate it (although given that Mark Saul himself is Australian, vegemite would probably be more appropriate)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2012 10:13 PM BST

Live At The Wetlands
Live At The Wetlands

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be dissapointed - in a good way, 8 April 2006
This review is from: Live At The Wetlands (Audio CD)
I (like another reviewer) first heard of Robert Randolph when he was supporting Eric Clapton on Tour. The energy that the band bring to the stage is enormous. I went out and instantly ordered their studio album "Unclassified", which blew me away. Shortly afterwards I discovered this album, and I hope you understand quite how good it is when I say it makes the studio album sound flat, and relatively pedestrian.
Despite nearly all the tracks being more than 10mins long, they never get boring or repetitive. The final track "Tears of Joy" is an absolute stunner, and is now on my list of favourite songs of all time.
Why does it dissappoint? At the end of the album you're left wishing that you were there in person. At the end of the last track, you hear Robert Randolph announce "We're just going to take a break for 15minutes, we'll be right back...", giving you the impression that you missed out of yet more of the most impressive musical talent I've seen for a while.
Go and buy the Studio album, listen to that, then order this one, close your eyes and crank the volume as high as it will go, just imagine that you were there.

Philips Accoustic Surround 5.1 Speakers
Philips Accoustic Surround 5.1 Speakers

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth It, 16 Jun 2004
I'm not an audio expert, these quite frankly astonded me, I bought them because I wanted a surround sound system for my PC, to watch DVDs and play games. I chose these ones because they are small, and I am going to University soon, and needed something which didn't take up much space.
These are perfect, loud, crisp, decent enough bass (although this isn't a strong point) It always sounds strange now when I listen to music, and the sound ISN'T coming from all around me!!

The Matrix Revolutions [DVD] [2003]
The Matrix Revolutions [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves|Carrie-Anne Moss|Laurence Fishburne
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.73

2.0 out of 5 stars Adds nothing to the first in the trilogy, 15 Jun 2004
The second two films do nothing to make the first film any better. The Matrix, was a sensationally clever piece of work, introducing the world to bullet time, some very clever fight sequences and a story line which made you think...
Revolutions made you think "wow", but that was it, it was a special effects sequence, with so many inconsistencies, nonsensical questions in place of answers, and intended philosophical questions which are nothing new. Plot lines made to make you think, "that's so clever, even I didn't understand it!!", strewn randomly all over the film, littering the viewing with so many loose ends, it kind of looks like a dead sentinal.
Revolutions and Reloaded, should not have been made, they extinguish the Matrix's life and soul by drowning the trilogy in battles that didn't need to take place, driven only by the money making opportunity.
Watch it, make up your own mind, but it isn't worth owning IMO. It impresses, but does not entertain.