Profile for D. Mulholland > Reviews

Bourke Street Bakery
Bourke Street Bakery
by Paul Allam

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for, 19 Jun 2012
This review is from: Bourke Street Bakery (Hardcover)
I was really excited about getting this book, I was hoping for a good reference manual that would back me up in all my baking. "The Ultimate Baking Companion" and comments like "inspirational and technical reference for professionals" made me think I was getting good solid technique and instruction. In fact, this is nothing more than a collection of recipes.

The description claims a "a detailed basics section" which is a joke. It's a whole 6 pages out of 356 total. To compare, the basics section of Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Making Classic Breads with the Cutting-edge Techniques of a Bread Masteris 101 pages out of 300 total. I was hoping for the same kind of book to cover pastries, pies etc, but there's no troubleshooting, no real explanations of techniques, and recipe instructions are very limited.

The recipes sound great, and I'm sure I'll make a lot of them, but I can find recipes anywhere - I want to learn technique and this book doesn't contain a single thing I didn't already know.

The Anatomy of Pilates
The Anatomy of Pilates
by Paul Massey

2.0 out of 5 stars Lack of Editing?, 27 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Anatomy of Pilates (Paperback)
I bought this book sight unseen, and ended up being very disappointed. The layout/premise is great and the book has great potential, but the editing is poor and the content gets worse and worse as the book goes on, almost as if the deadlines were too short and it was rushed through. There are glaring problems such as exercise descriptions not matching photographs and empty information boxes, along with dwindling detail to the point that by the end you really have no useful information about the exercise in focus.

I think Massey knows what he's talking about, and there is some great content here which could be useful for instructors. I'd be wary of lending or recommending the book to any of my students, however, as they wouldn't know when they needed to fill in some important gaps in the information. I hope they publish another edition and sort out the problems.