Profile for D. Pearce > Reviews

Content by D. Pearce

D. Pearce "djarmhp" (rainham, kent)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
2 A.M. at The Cat's Pajamas
2 A.M. at The Cat's Pajamas
by Marie-Helene Bertino
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars A festive treat, 16 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I notice that this book is due for release in November 2014. That's great, because it is the perfect Christmas book. It has the fantastical elements mixed with real life struggles that reminded me of It's A Wonderful Life. Reading it in July rather detracted from the magic because I think we are more attuned to redemption and miracles at Christmas. That being said, I loved the central character of Madeleine and her teacher Miss Greene and wanted both of them to find what they were looking for. My only problem with the book was the concentration on some of the supporting characters at the expense of the two protagonists. When I was reading about the supporting characters I was impatient to flick through the chapter so I could get back to the story that really mattered. I understand the need for well-drawn subsiduary characters but I felt that the chapters that concentrated on them had come in from another book and in some way detracted from the overall effect. However, I will be re-reading this in December and that is the mark of any successful book.

Forgotten Men [DVD]
Forgotten Men [DVD]
Price: 13.12

5.0 out of 5 stars An old film that forces you to take a new look at WWI, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Forgotten Men [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This film should be required viewing for anyone who is interested in the First World War. In fact it should be required viewing for anyone who isn't. The fact that the film was made within twenty years of the war's end makes it noteworthy because we see the veterans as vital men in their 30s, 40s and 50s rather than the veterans we have been used to seeing in recent years. That serves to make the events more relateable. However, the real strength of this film is the incredible range of battlefront footage from all sides. Men are killed for real in front of your eyes, bodies are shown and war is presented in all its brutality. It still has the power to shock even a century on. Any teachers who want to make the conflict relevant to their students really must get a copy of this, but of course the caveat about the scenes of killing should be taken into account.

Just a Simple Wedding (For Better or for Worse Collections)
Just a Simple Wedding (For Better or for Worse Collections)
by Lynn Johnston
Price: 7.35

5.0 out of 5 stars A satisfactory ending to a brilliant saga, 10 July 2014
Maybe not the absolute best of Lynn Johnston's epic saga but it ties up the story very satisfactorily. I've followed the series through from the first collection, but now I have this I will go back to the start and enjoy one of the most amazing achievements in comic strip writing.

Braun Oral-B PRO 5000 CrossAction 5-Mode Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush with Wireless Smart Guide
Price: 80.67

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality toothbrush, 8 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Despite the price, I can definitely say that this toothbrush is worth the money if you can stretch to it. When companies talk about the difference a toothbrush can make I tend to take it with a pinch of salt, as it is one of the most common claims. However, the angle of the toothbrush head actually changes the feel of the brush head and even alters the way you brush. The way that this improves your dental hygiene is a bit of a mystery, but it certainly appears to have done that for me in the two weeks since I got this. The two minute interactive timer is a very useful guide and will apparently frown at you if you brush your teeth too hard, though it has continued to smile at me for the last two weeks! I can wholeheartedly recommend this product and will be using it for as long as it lasts out.

Dynamic Fat Burner 1200mg Raspberry Ketones Capsules - Pack of 60 Capsules
Dynamic Fat Burner 1200mg Raspberry Ketones Capsules - Pack of 60 Capsules
Price: 14.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much of a risk, 4 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm afraid that I will not be using this product. I'm sure that it will work for some people, but according to http://www.webmd.boots.com/diet/raspberry-ketones it is not only unproven, (having never been tested on human beings) but it is actually illegal to sell this product in the UK. For that reason this product will remain unopened. Good luck to those of you who use it and I hope it will be of benefit to you.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland HTML Edition
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland HTML Edition
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So enchanting, 30 May 2014
I was completely lost in this book, joining Alice in her wondrous adventures through Wonderland. I would recommend this book to young and old alike as it's a lovely first book and a brilliant read again and again.

Panic
Panic
by Lauren Oliver
Price: 13.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not her best, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Panic (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a great fan of Lauren Oliver and rate her as one of the best writers around in any genre. Her first book Before I Fall was virtually perfect and her following books, like this one, have all been readable. Where this book is concentrating on describing the world that the characters inhabit with a realism and immediacy that is the envy of many other writers it fairly grips the reader. However, the characterisations seemed a little weak by Lauren's extremely high standards and you don't invest in the central characters to quite the same extent as you do in her other books. It is well worth a read and will reward your time with a story well told, but it doesn't quite hit the heights that Lauren is capable of.

Bosch PKS16 Multi-Handy Mini Circular Saw for Precise Straight Cuts in Many Materials
Price: 99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful but a little lightweight, 15 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With the name Bosch you know you are getting a quality product, and this is the case here. The case is excellent and makes it easy to carry whilst the range of blades is, on the surface, very good. However, my son who is a contractor says that whilst it is useful for jobs which require a thin piece of wood cut it cannot deal with thicker pieces and for that I have knocked off a star. It is very good if you have no need for a heavy duty circular saw or as a companion to one.

Ultrasport Women's Running Shirt with Quick-Dry-Function
Ultrasport Women's Running Shirt with Quick-Dry-Function
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for cycling or sport, 15 May 2014
This garment is clearly made by people who have considered athletic performers at all levels. It is ultra light, extremely comfortable and does a fantastic job at keeping the perspiration to a minimum while running or cycling. My daughter, who has used it during dance training, has found it extremely comfortable and effective. I would happily buy another one and can whole heartedly recommend it.

Tacwise Duo 35 Electric Staple/Nail Gun
Tacwise Duo 35 Electric Staple/Nail Gun
Price: 76.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful but a little limited, 15 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As many other reviewers have mentioned, this product can do simple, small scale jobs well. Unfortunately, if you need to do anything other than fairly standard diy jobs it isn't quite as good as it first appears. Thicker wood has proved to be too much of a challenge for my son who works as a contractor, but in general he is quite pleased with its performance. He has found it a useful tool to have at hand but occasionally he needs to borrow something more heavy duty.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19