Profile for K > Reviews

K

Modernist Cuisine at Home
Modernist Cuisine at Home
by Nathan Myhrvold

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing look at food from scientific perdpective, 25 Dec. 2012
The information and pictures in this book are truly amazing. I have only made one recipe so far, the caramelized carrot soup, and it has totally opened my eyes. Who knew carrots could taste so amazing?! I have made 3 or 4 variations of it with different veggies, all good. The only potential negative is that about 90% of recipes require either pressure cooker or sous vide machine. (They do describe a method of cooking sous vide using mostly stuff you already have to avoid costly equipment purchase but we havent tried that yet.) We bought a pressure cooker because of this book and are so glad we did. Also some recipes ask for slightly off the beaten track ingredients and we live in Norway where odd ingredients and interesting cuts of meat are hard to find but anyone in UK, US or places with big grocery stores wont have a problem. That being said I still consider this a most worthy investment in our cooking and look forward to showing off our new food to friends and family :)

Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
by Ken Forkish

5.0 out of 5 stars Its the gift that keeps on giving!, 25 Dec. 2012
I gave this to my husband and he has made the "quick" bread recipe 5 times in the last two weeks and it has been perfect every time! This is seriously some of the best bread I have ever had, including that had in multiple trips to France. Note that about the first 70 pages are description and there aren't that many recipes, but if you are interested in learning how to make amazing crusty rustic French bread at home then I cannot recommend this book enough. This is one of my best ever purchases. Happy baking!