Profile for jon.huxtable@cummins.com > Reviews

jon.huxtable@cummins.com (London, England)

Turning Point (Flamingo)
Turning Point (Flamingo)
by Fritjof Capra

4.0 out of 5 stars So that's why I can't Engineer my way out of this mess..., 4 Jan 2001
As a graduate Engineer, I had the benefit of a classic reductionist education and instinctively looked for solutions to complex problems in simple "piecemeal" fixes. When my girlfriend Emily (an Environmental Scientist) insisted that I read this book, little did I know that it would set in motion a course of events that would lead to a change of job, outlook and attitude.
Fritjof explained why my work always failed and encouraged my latent interest in the human and systematic elements of complex problems.
Mid-way through a major improvement project, I had to re-evaluate my whole approach and eventaully conceived a comprehensive systemic solution which, unfortunately, went down like a lead brick with my old-school employers who clearly thought I had gone mad when I presented my "holistic plan". Never mind, I left that job and moved into Quality Systems where I found a natural home for an holistic view and have become much more successful in my career.
"The Turning Point" really was just that for me and empowers the reader to look much more clearly at all accepted wisdom with a cynical eye. If you have long suspected that our esteemed scientific community have got it wrong and that wisdom relies on a balanced view of the logical and the intuitive - read it.