Profile for J Tromans > Reviews

Content by J Tromans

J Tromans "flavour freak" (UK)

David Bellamy's Skies, Light and Atmosphere: in Watercolour
David Bellamy's Skies, Light and Atmosphere: in Watercolour
by David Bellamy

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book! I am in the process of following ..., 6 Sept. 2015
Gorgeous book! I am in the process of following the tutorials and learning a lot as I go. If I had any criticism it is that I wish the author had given a little more info on the colour mixes for his exemplar pictures

Capturing the Magic of Light in Watercolor
Capturing the Magic of Light in Watercolor
by Susan D. Bourdet

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and informative book, 23 May 2015
The second of Susan's book that I have bought - both complement each other. I've always painted in acrylics and have only recently tried watercolours. This book is really informative and has definitely lifted my painting skills up a notch or two

The Painted Garden: A Year in Words and Watercolours
The Painted Garden: A Year in Words and Watercolours
by Mary Woodin

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful gift, 23 May 2015
Gorgeous gorgeous book ... lovely gift for a friend ... so lovely in fact that I bought a second copy for me!

The Acrylics Book: Materials and Techniques for Today's Artist
The Acrylics Book: Materials and Techniques for Today's Artist
by Barclay Sheaks

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Must Have" book, 27 May 2011
]I'm not in the habit of writing rave reviews or using lots of superlatives but this book is truly outstanding. There are many books that describe themselves as a "bible" for artists but what makes this book stand out is the breadth of information, techniques, styles and worked examples. My paintings have already improved significantly as a result of studying this book. I bought the book as a complementary book to "Capturing Light in Acrylics by John Hammond" which also opened my thinking and improved my ability [[ASIN:0713490276 Capturing Light in Acrylics] - the two books together make the perfect tutorial!

Olympus 10x25 WP I - Waterproof Binoculars
Olympus 10x25 WP I - Waterproof Binoculars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and excellent value, 27 April 2011
I already own a pair of these binoculars and was so impressed with them that I bought a second set for my son who was looking for some binoculars to take to the Shetland Isles on holiday. These are perfect - the quality of the optics is great plus they are small enough to slip into a coat pocket and they are waterproof too. Really impressive bit of kit!

Troublesome Words
Troublesome Words
by Bill Bryson

4.0 out of 5 stars National Treasure, 19 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Troublesome Words (Hardcover)
American Bill Bryson should be elevated to the status of UK national treasure!

Bill's use of the English language is sublime and is a constant feature of his travel writing where his acute observations of his own and other people's idiosyncratic behaviour truly bring the pages to life. This book is subtly different in that instead of an examination of a country or culture Bill turns his eye to the complexities and beauty of the English language.

A great read for such an apparently dry subject.

Capturing Light in Acrylics
Capturing Light in Acrylics
by John Hammond

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't often use superlatives ...., 19 Feb. 2011
... but this book is outstanding at all levels. Firstly it is a joy to look at - the paintings are as evocative as Monet's; secondly the advice and expertise given by the artist is honest, practical and very readable; thirdly ... and best of all ... my own paintings have been hugely improved as a result of really studying this book and applying the learning. I've also bought a video that is associated with the book (via APV films) which has also extremely useful. Won't somebody please buy me a John Hammond painting?

Simon Schama: A History of Britain - The Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Simon Schama: A History of Britain - The Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Schama

5.0 out of 5 stars Why wasn't history taught like this at school?, 20 Jan. 2011
This is an outstanding series!

Simon Schama is a compelling presenter who really brings to life the drama of key historical events and puts them in perspective. We've watched it through once and are now going back through again to really learn more of our heritage. We've also made visits to places like St George's Chapel, Windsor to see artefacts such as the sword of King Edward 111.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2011 7:13 PM GMT

Rivers with Griff Rhys Jones [DVD]
Rivers with Griff Rhys Jones [DVD]
Dvd ~ Griff Rhys Jones
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Griff R-J at his best, 10 Sept. 2010
I only caught one of this series when it was being broadcast and wished I had seen more. The DVD is excellent with Griff's gentle style and lots of interesting detail. Definitely a DVD that we will watch time and time again (particularly on poor TV nights)!

Imperial Italian 505 Pasta Factory Gift Set
Imperial Italian 505 Pasta Factory Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely pasta, light and fresh, 26 May 2009
I was really impressed with how easy the pasta machine is to use and delighted with the results of my first attempt. The tagliatelle was really light and tasty - a world of difference from shop bought fresh pasta or the dried variety. I've also frozen the excess and cooked with excellent results.