Profile for Elisabeth Stewart > Reviews

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener, 9 April 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
I found history at school very boring and dry and therefore don't know much about WW2 so this book was a real eye opener for me. I never even thought before about the fact that there were German Jews, such was my naivety. The thing I liked most about The Book Thief was the way Markus Zusak describes things. His language use is brilliant. I also liked all the characters. Even the minor ones were brought to life well and I could really picture everything that was happening. An excellent read but be prepared for a tragic ending.

Casino Royale: James Bond 007 (Vintage)
Casino Royale: James Bond 007 (Vintage)
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 26 Jan 2014
Although I've seen probably all the Bond films I'd never read any of the books so decided, as Casino Royale was Ian Fleming's first Bond book, I'd try it. It was very different to the film's, especially the character of Bond himself. He has all the Bond attributes we know and love but, of course, with a book you get to see what he's thinking and how he's feeling, which makes him a lot more human and for me that was the most interesting part of reading this. A really good read but a very different Bond.

The Boy in the Dress
The Boy in the Dress
Price: 3.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 8 Jan 2014
I don't know why but I honestly didn't think I was going to enjoy this book and am very happy to say that I was wrong as its brilliant! The characters are very real, the story line, even though a bit crazy, is totally believable and I loved it. My favourite thing about it is that it is a book about acceptance and love and being yourself. I can't wait to read it to my son and listen to him giggle his way through it and I'm looking forward to reading more David Walliams books.

Beauty and the Beast (Fairy eBooks)
Beauty and the Beast (Fairy eBooks)
Price: 0.85

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely bedtime story, 3 Jan 2014
We all know the basics of this story but this is a version I had never heard before. It is a lovely story for before bedtime and my little girl loved it. The only thing missing is some sort of explanation as to why the beast had become the way he was. A good read though and some lovely illustrations.

Stormbreaker (Alex Rider)
Stormbreaker (Alex Rider)
Price: 3.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read for boys, 31 Dec 2013
I'd heard of these books before but never read them. I decided to give Stormbreaker a go to see if it was as good as I'd heard and as I work with kids wanted to know if it was worth recommending. It is. It's a great read, not too long and keeps your attention well due to its fast pace. If I did have a criticism I'd say that it contains quite a lot of technical detail about different kinds of vehicles and weapons and things which didn't really interest me but maybe would interest someone like my son who loves facts about stuff. Definitely a good read and one I'd recommend.