Profile for Mark Bonatti > Reviews

Content by Mark Bonatti

Mark Bonatti "M.Bonatti" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Eden Lake [DVD]
Eden Lake [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Fassbender
Offered by MusicnMedia

4.0 out of 5 stars Very disturbing and a bit too close to home....., 5 July 2010
This review is from: Eden Lake [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this last night on a friends recommendation. Normally I'm very hard to shock, but this film seemed to grab me in a very personal place and I spent quite a bit of the film wanting to turn it off. Very glad I didn't though!

Personally, it was the harrassment from the youths from the beginning to middle of the film that sucked me in, I'm sure most of us have been in a similar situation to the couple at one point or other and the film capitalises on this deep-set fear (and hatred) the public have of these groups of wankers that are far too common these days. After the middle, it goes a bit to the extreme side but it escalates and transitions so well it's almost believable. The ringleader of the youths gives a fantastic performance, as do they rest of them but the dichotomy of the group is very prevailent - how the ringleader draws in the rest to take part because "They're here too". It's exactly the kind of "alpha" behaviour you see on the streets. It only takes one nutter to turn the rest of the group.

To be honest, I saw the end coming a mile away but by that point you can't tear your eyes from it and it again is a fairly believable outcome. I'll say no more though.

All in all, a great film. Very well handled, paced, acted and most importantly you can actually connect to what the couple are going through (at the beginning anyway) which really sucks you in. The social commentary of this film is blatant.

I watched it last night and am still thinking about it, very harrowing indeed. I doubt I would watch it again anytime soon.

Darksiders (PS3)
Darksiders (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Darksiders: Link to the Ocarina of the Twilight Mask, 22 Mar. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Darksiders (PS3) (Video Game)
As has been mentioned before, and will be mentioned again, this game brings absolutely nothing new to the world of action RPGs. In fact, it rather shamelessly and blatantly steals a lot from existing games in the genre(especially our Pointy-eared green-capped friend). To be honest, I was absolutely shocked by some of the similarities, everything from the weapons and *gear* has all been seen before. It all looks pretty much the same, does the same tricks and even get obtained in a strikingly similar fashion. The Dungeon designs are somewhat identical in layout and progression to what has come before. Hell, you even need to obtain "empty vessels" to hold your health/wrath(read: mana) consumables in!

This is not to say that Darksiders is a bad game, in fact the opposite is strikingly true. Despite it's lack of originality, it manages to be an engaging and very satisfying work of game design. The game world is visually beautiful, full of nice details and atmosphere, and who doesn't love post-apocalyptic demon-strewn cities? The combat isn't as deep as games such as Devil May Cry, however the character you're playing (War) is more of a rampaging juggernaught of face-smashing brutality than a ninja-esque bad boy (or girl), and there is something deeply fulfilling about pulling an angel out of the sky and ripping it's wings off! :D

To be honest, it's a game I've been waiting for to come along for a long time, stealing the best bits of some of my favourite games and stewing them together with some good ol apocalyptic biblical ultra-violence. A highly enjoyable romp.

A word of warning though, the game's beginnings left me with a sour taste in my mouth. After you enter the first dungeon though it's like riding a bike. I would give the game 5 stars but I can't quite bring myself to hail such a stubbornly unoriginal title!

Doctor Who : Complete BBC Series 4 [2008] [DVD]
Doctor Who : Complete BBC Series 4 [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why Catherine Tate WHY!?, 29 Dec. 2008
I've been a huge fan of recent (and all) Doctor Who but this series just.........lacked. There were a few good episodes, usually written by Stephen Moffat or Russel Davis but on the whole it just never clicked the way the other "new who" did. Cathrine Tate is fantastically irritating, although I can't help feel that's because her "comedy" series has left an ashen taint in my mouth. After the last series finale (with the master) I did get an uncofortable feeling that Doctor Who had reached it's apex, and this series proves it. Sure there's a couple of good episodes here, but none better than anything previously done on the show. Nothing new here. Davros was massively disappointing too, he himself was brillaintly realised and played but he just felt pointless. As much as it pains me to say, I think David Tennant has made the right choice to leave after next year, it's getting a bit stale. Bruce Willis for Doctor in 2010!

Prince of Persia (Xbox 360)
Prince of Persia (Xbox 360)
Offered by 6 Hungry Weasels

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Unrewarding, 29 Dec. 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I was ssssssssssooooooooooo excited by this, a brand spanking new PoP on the hallowed 360. I jumped out of bed and hit the streets on day of release, bought a copy, returned home. With trembling hands and the odd high pitched squeal of excitement I dropped the disk in, sat in my big comfy chair, grabbed the pad and prepared myself with a quick series of meditation techniques to get my chi flowing towards my fingers............ and it was ALL FOR NOTHING.
Honestly, PoP is just so damn boring. You CANNOT DIE (well you can in the duels but if you lose one of them you shouldn't be trying to play games in the first place.), the levels (so far) pretty much involve climbing a big tower, killing whatever's at the top, then spending some mind numbing hours collecting orbs which then in turn unlock new abilities, which do nothing other than get to you previously out of reach areas...etc etc, yadda yadda, dulldulldull.
I mean fair enough in the previous games you could rewind time to save yourself after a particularly bad fall, but at least it was finite. If you blew all your sands on doing big fancy things you were humped. In this new incarnation though we don't have sands of time, we have Elika. Elika will never let you die, you can leap away to your hearts content and she will always make sure you land on your feet. Sounds ok, but it really takes any sense of excitement or accomplishment out of the game.
The fighting system is awful, wheras in previous titles the Prince was an uber ninja - flying about the place, decapitating monsters before bouncing up a wall to land on anothers head. Now te fights have been reduced to one on one duels, about on a par with the duels in Sid Meirs Pirates - not cool. they're far too easy as well, block block, oh you you're standing staring at me, ok, so I just hit these buttons and you die? ok. Wow that was fun. Oh good I get to collect MORE ORBS. Rubbish. I've made myself upset now.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2010 1:48 PM GMT

Dragon Wars [DVD] [2008]
Dragon Wars [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Jason Behr
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

2.0 out of 5 stars 60 minutes too long, 28 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Dragon Wars [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I've just written a summary of the main points (highs/lows) of the film, each "keyword" taking place after roughtly 6 minute intervals. The good bits are in capitals. Hopefully just saved you some time.

So in summary it's:

ok, hmmm ok, who? why? what? rubbish, FIGHT! rubbish, who cares, rubbish, FIGHT! Well why didn't you just do that in the first place you useless &@%£!, FIGHT, DRAGON, FIGHT rubbish, end.

The Happening [DVD] [2008]
The Happening [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Mark Wahlberg
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Shyamalan film since Unbreakable, 14 Oct. 2008
This review is from: The Happening [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I thought this film was great! Yes the acting is pretty damn poor and the plot paper thin, but it is definitely more than the sum of its parts. What got me is that this film is, intentionally,very funny. A light hearted look at an ever inevitable apocalypse. People are dying in the most horrendous fashions all around (the "ripped apart by lions" taking the gold here, closely followed by the lawnmower incident) and yet the acting manages to maintain a hammy, tongue in cheek demenour which keeps you smiling. I thought Wahlberg was great, not sure if his acting was particularly bad or if Shyamalan purposfully wanted it that way but either or it still works a treat. Zooey Deschanel found the perfect vehicle to display her complete lack of talent and works well with Wahlberg.
I realise this review sounds rather sarcastic but I assure you it's not! The lack of acting is what I liked most about the film. Coupled with the nice effects, interesting concept and abundance of violent deaths, Shyamalan has managed to create his usual perplexing oddity without the need for his usual tool of choice - the inevitable plot twist.
Bemusing, funny, horrendous and original. Well worth a look.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2012 7:40 PM BST

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - The Complete First Season [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Lena Headey
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Am I Missing Something?, 12 Aug. 2008
I didn't hold up much hope for this, but watched it anyway. I wasn't surprised one way or the other.
Aside from the fact that is is Terminator (which lost a lot of points after T3) there really isn't much to put it above the rest of the average sci-fi so abundant these days. Summer Glau's character is quite interesting, if a bit nonsensical (just because she looks like a girl doesn't mean she's not an asexual killing machine), but warrants for some surprisingly funny moments (the "Grief Counceling" scene is brilliant) but being a robot, there's very little she can put forward in the way of charisma or,indeed, any form of characterisation.
Sarah and John (I forget their real names, sorry!) are pretty standard, although I get the feeling that's more of the script/directors fault.
My main gripe with this programme is that it tries so hard to be poignant, intelligent and philosophical but fails miserably in that respect. Sarah's monologues at the end of each episode are usually cringeworthy, occassionally embarrassing affairs which leaves me with the feeling of being lectured by a 15 year old who just read a how-to book of dramatic speeches.
The only reasons I could recommend this to anyone are:

1/ Summer Glau's hot and her character can be quite funny.
2/ Robots are cool
3/ There's nothing else to watch for now

It baffles and upsets me that programmes like this can be renewed for more seasons when so many genuinely fantastic series get cancelled all too quickly. Still, cater for the masses eh? Oh what a world we live in.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2012 1:57 PM BST

Alone in the Dark
Alone in the Dark
Offered by Trade-N-Go Gaming

4.0 out of 5 stars Great promise, but flawed, 20 Jun. 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Alone in the Dark (Video Game)
I don't care what anyone says, this game is brilliant in most respects. Despite the claims of its rubbish control system I managed to pick them up pretty easily and the object manipulation feels so natural(then again, maybe I'm just great!) The one thing that has really let the game down though is the glitches! NPCs magically teleporting across the room, being suspended in mid air while "holding" a ledge, the camera! At one point there was just a floating door on my screen surrounded by blackness! The camera issue can be solved by changing to first person view though, which is also handy for some of the more precarious situations. If you can look past these flaws though it is a truly immersive and innovative game. I would heartily recommend it to fans of the genre. If you're not huge on survival horror though probably best be stickin' to Resident Evil for the time being.

Tin Man [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Tin Man [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

1.0 out of 5 stars The upmost in rubbish, 10 May 2008
Cringworthingly bad, "Tin Man" plods onto the scene in a torrent of cliche's, bad acting and worse dialogue. You will be amazed by this "reinvention" of the classic story of Dorothy and her involvement in the history of Oz. Marvel as Zooey Deschanel enchants you with her vast array of two expressions, gasp as Richard Dreyfuss is cast aside in the worst part of his career, flinch as Dorothy is rescued by a cowboy! Wait, what?

Avoid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2014 8:39 AM GMT

TMNT - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2007) [DVD]
TMNT - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2007) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sarah Michelle Gellar
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Comeback, 3 Mar. 2008
Feeling a little bored the other night, I watched this on-demand. While really not expecting much I couldn't resist seeing what has become of my beloved Turtles, and you know what? I loved it! It is very much made for children and not the children of yesteryear who grew up with the half-shelled foursome, consequently it is a rather haphazard mish mash that makes little to no sense plot-wise but it manages to retain all the glorious insanity that made me love the franchise as a kid. Although definitely for the pre-teens, it is not without some adult references. More than one baddie actually dies and there are some jokes which might fly a bit over the heads of some younger viewers. The setpieces are dark, dirty, urban affairs and the turmoil within the group works well to bring the characters into a new era. I will admit, I was gutted that Shredder wasn't involved, but the foot clan look brilliant and if there's going to be a sequel it seems everyone favourite ninja/samurai/all round badass will make his welcome return. Try not to get to hung up on the fact that this is kids movie and not a movie made for older fans, there's still a lot of life in these guys left. It's worth mentioning the actual cg as well, although not as impressive as say, Shrek, it is a very shiney effort with what I assume was not a big budget. At times it does look like a high end 360 game rather than a film but they've worked with the style to make a rather pretty finished product. Roll on the sequel!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4