Profile for Lauren Deal > Reviews

Content by Lauren Deal

Lauren Deal (Berkshire, UK)

Babz Smooth 3 x Weatherproof Outdoor and Indoor Colour Changing LED Candles with Remote Control & Timer - Vanilla Scent
Offered by I Luv Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 4 Jan. 2015
I love flameless candles, they're not as good as the 3D flame ones, but I love the changing of the colours! I usually have mine on multi colour, but you can choose to have them on one colour setting with a flickering effect. Very good value money. Arrived very quickly too, with batteries! Not sure how long they'll last, but definitely considering buying a couple more.

COVER FOR APPLE IPHONE 5 DRAGON BALL Z ANIME COOL GOKU CASE & SCREEN PROTECTOR 48

4.0 out of 5 stars especially when you're a massive DBZ fan like myself, but take care with what phone you ..., 4 July 2014
This case looks absolutely fabulous, especially when you're a massive DBZ fan like myself, but take care with what phone you have. Sadly, I can't clip the case on properly as I have an iPhone 5c and this is only for iphone 5. The only difference between the two are the buttons on the left hand side of the phone, on mine they're kind of rectangular shaped whereas on the the iphone 5 they're more circular, hence why I can't clip the case on properly :(. But the fault is mine, I should have inspected more closely. You do also get a screen protector with the phone, so the product is great value for money and arrived really quickly too. I'm just gutted I can't put it on my phone!

Tekken 3D - Prime Edition (Nintendo 3DS)
Tekken 3D - Prime Edition (Nintendo 3DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, but not the best Tekken, 18 Jan. 2014
This game is great if you're just looking to kick some ass. The graphics are stunning; best I've seen on the 3DS in fact. But what I miss most is the epic story lines of each character that make Tekken awesome. All you get is 'Quick Play' aka as 'Arcade Mode' in previous games, 'Practise Mode', which I hardly ever bothered with for any of the Tekken games, and 'Survival Mode' where you have to beat as many characters as you can.

Every time you battle, you gradually get these fight cards which depict the characters. If you're a bit of a collector then you'll love this element, but personally, I don't think it's all that. For me, the motivation to use other characters is non-existent. Which means I just kick everyone's ass with Kazuya (he was always my all-time favourite!) which is not necessarily a bad thing. You still get fight cards even using the same character time again.

I do, however, love the film that you can watch. It was nice watching a 'film' of Tekken that wasn't a cartoon or adaptation, it starred the characters we know and love. To watch it in 3D was a treat indeed.

So anyone looking for a good, straight forward beat em up game, this is for you. You certainly won't be disappointed with the graphics. The film probably won't make much sense to you though. But anyone who loves Tekken for the story like I do, then you may be disappointed with this game. It's not like Tekken Dark Resurrection which was basically Tekken 5 as a handheld game (PSP). This is a pity, to watch the story with these graphics would have been fantastic. But at £9.35 or less, it's definitely good value for money; Tekken fan or not.

Night of the Living Dead: Resurrection [DVD]
Night of the Living Dead: Resurrection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sabrina Dickens
Offered by b68solutions

1.0 out of 5 stars what a silly film, 6 July 2013
The only good thing about this DVD is the cover coz it fools you into thinking it's worth watching. At the top it reads 'when the sun goes down, the terror begins,' which is a pointless and untrue statement as the zombies are quite active during the day. When we do see the zombies (not very often) they don't look that scary at all.
I did like however like how at the beginning, people were trying to come up with a logical explanation for the zombie apocalypse. This is never discussed further...
The main characters are rather unbelievable. In fact I found the drama with the guy having an affair with his pregnant wife/s sister more interesting, although the stupid cow seemed to care more about getting him in her pants than being eaten by zombies!!! Hmmm.... The attempt to put in a 'twist' to the story is a poor one. The poor bloke being set upon by that gang of teenagers who ran him over constantly was more frightening than the damn zombies!
The ending was also pretty stupid with the army guys being total arsewipes by not believing the family were attacked by the teenage gang and the dismal fate that awaited the one survivor (being raped by them). And no conclusion as to whether the zombies have all been exterminated or not.... Very shoddy film indeed. Waste of time and money. Do not buy!

Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (Xbox 360)
Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (Xbox 360)
Offered by Soprano Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 6 Jun. 2013
Ok as pointed out by other people, this game is for fans only. There is no cohesion whatsoever regarding the story. If you're unfamiliar with the story, then this probably isn't the game for you. However, if like me you're a massive DBZ fan and know the story well then it's a must have! Having no intros to characters and story suits me just fine; if I want to watch DBZ then I'll stick my DVDs of it on. This game's great for fighting as your favourite characters! It even has the original voices (English that is, not Japanese).

I like how you get to play as different characters in story mode. You switch from the good guys to the bad rather than just playing as goodies or one single character. There is also an option to customise the characters. Can't really be bothered with that sort of thing but some may like it. I also like how you can transform in battle. Love being Freeza and transforming and making Vegeta become a super saiyan (once you've unlocked them).

I also like the taunts and sarcastic comments the characters make. Gives it that DBZ 'feel' to the game if you know what I mean. I was glad to see the famous 'it's over 9000!' comment made it in :). Sometimes the comments made during a battle get annoying as you can't skip them. Maybe you can switch them off in options/game settings. I'll be honest I haven't bothered to look. I also like the partner option where you can choose someone to lend you a hand when you're in trouble by giving your opponent a smack or chucking you a senzu bean. Again adds to the 'DBZ feel'.

Personally, I think the graphics are ok considering it's mimicking a cartoon. They're not fantastic I'll give you that but they're not horrific either.

As far as fighting goes, it does get repetitive at times. It does not provide the sort of fighting experience one gets from a game like Tekken for example; you're using the same moves all the time which is a pity.

I would have also liked to have seen more game options. There are survival and time attack modes like in Tekken but it would have been nice to see more options available as with Tekken. (I know I'm comparing them but I'm also a massive Tekken fan and can't help it :P).

Overall, I recommend this game to any DBZ fan. For the reasonable price tag, it's worth every penny. I certainly wasn't disappointed!

Monopoly (PS2)
Monopoly (PS2)
Offered by APE-GAMES

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Monopoly (PS2) (Video Game)
This was an absolute waste of money. Very slow, crap graphics (I know it's only PS 2 but still) and I think what irritates me the most about this game is that it forces you to play with 4 players even when playing on your own. I've looked into the settings and as far as I can tell there's no way to change that. Prefer playing it on my iPad, much more pleasant experience.

Dragon Ball Z Season 1 [DVD]
Dragon Ball Z Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daisuke Nishio

4.0 out of 5 stars Season 1, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I was absolutely delighted when Dragon Ball Z became available on DVD, used to watch it for hours non-stop as a kid! This first series is an absolute must have for any fan, as a kid I missed a lot of episodes from this series so watching it again after all these years has made clear a few things for me, but the first half of this series is quite boring to be honest. Gohan is very irritating with his incessant crying and whining but he gets better. The fun doesn't really start until Vegeta comes into it (slightly biased opinion as Vegeta is my all time favourite character! :-)) But I think you'll agree with me there! Still it's highly addictive and I watched the whole series in about 2 days! Looking forward to the next series arriving. Definitely recommend to any DBZ fan!

Carrie
Carrie
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 11 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Carrie (Paperback)
Plenty of reasons why this is a great read. This was King's first novel and it's only 242 pages long (quite easy going compared to some of his others which can put some people off) so for both those reasons, it's a great book to start with the King novels.

What I like about this book, is the shift around in narrative. Sometimes it's told from Carrie's point of view, sometimes her classmates and some quotes from text books (fictional ones) are thrown in too. It makes it easier to read in my opinion as I'm not a massive fan of realism where you get only first or third person narratives. It all gets mixed up together which makes it more entertaining to read.

Another reason, is that although the book falls into the genre of 'horror' there's more to it than meets the eye. By that I mean everyone immediately has assumptions of monsters, blood, gore and supernatural powers. And or course it does fulfill that criteria to a certain extent with Carrie's power of telekinisis, the pigs' blood and loads of people dying etc (not to give too much away!). But I felt the horrors of bullying, obsession with religion and the psychological effect/consequences that could occur were more apparant than the effects of telekinisis. These things are of course very real indeed and thats what makes it more frightening.

I didn't want to give a plot overview or summary, just wanted to share why I love 'Carrie' so much. So if you're considering reading this please do so! A real classic and well worth it! Happy reading! =]

'Salem's Lot
'Salem's Lot

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb.... Just as brilliant as Stoker's Dracula, 4 Feb. 2012
This review is from: 'Salem's Lot (Kindle Edition)
I chose this book to be the first of King's novels I would read because it is about vampires, my favourite type of horror story!

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, my enthusiasm for vampire stories had been marred slightly by recent works such as the Twilight saga and the Vampire Diaries. I was getting really fed up with the 'I want to be a good person even though I'm a vampire' idea, it seemed like forever I was searching for something with vampires that were purely evil and something that was quite scary to read. Found exactly what I was looking for with Salem's Lot!

The 'return' of Danny Glick and Mike Ryerson particuarly frightened me (I won't post details as don't want to spoil it for anyone who is yet to read!). All encounters with the Marsten House and the church with Satan's Mass are also very, very eerie; I must confess that I had to sleep with my side lamp on for a couple of nights and freaked out a couple of times when I heard scratching/tapping at my window (it was just my cat!).

One piece of advice I would give is to READ THE BOOK BEFORE WATCHING THE FILM. If you do vice versa, you could well be very disappointed.

This is the best vampire novel since Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' in my opinion, so if you're a vampire/horror fan, then this is a must read!

The Tudors - Season 1-3 [DVD]
The Tudors - Season 1-3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Rhys Meyers

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tudors Series 1 - 3, 12 Feb. 2011
The Tudor dynasty is probably my favourite period in history. Love learning anything to do with politics, lives of courtiers and the poor, and the more 'personal' side to the monarchy during Tudor times.

Loved listening to Johnathan Rhys-Meyers and Natalie Dormer's interviews about the making of the series; season one's special features were the best in my opinion, not much said in 2 and 3 which was rather disappointing. Can be historically inaccurate in places but is still very informative and entertaining. Also very raunchy! Would recommend this series to anyone!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2011 9:09 AM GMT