Profile for MrsE > Reviews

MrsE

The White Queen
The White Queen

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: The White Queen (Kindle Edition)
I love the history of middle ages England, and the Wars of the Roses are particularly interesting. I love how Philippa Gregory has written her series of books to reflect the lives of the women of this era - so much has been written of the kings, but the queens are so frequently an afterthought.

The story of Elizabeth Woodville is fascinating, and the theories put forward about the fate of the Princes in the tower are definitely thought provoking. Philippa Gregory certainly makes a good case for her version of events, and her descriptive style of writing immerses the reader in the politics and intrigue of the Plantagenet era.

I would definitely recommend this book, as well as The Lady of the Rivers. The Red Queen is a harder sell, as I just couldn't like the main character, but to get a brilliantly visual version of history then Philippa Gregory is hard to beat.

The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins War 3)
The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins War 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite so far, 28 Sep 2013
Having read The White Queen and The Red Queen I moved straight onto The Lady of the Rivers, as I was far more interested in the character of Jacquetta and her personality than that of Ann Neville.

I loved the story of Jacquetta and how she fell in love with her second husband Richard Woodville. It's hard to imagine the scandal their affair and marriage would have caused - something that doesn't come across in WQ or RQ (or in the TV adaptation) is just how important Jacquetta was in the English aristocracy. To marry a lowly squire would have been utterly unthinkable, so for them to have done so would have been shocking in the extreme.

Without giving away any spoilers, knowing how the story ends for Jacquetta and Richard makes this a poignant read, and one I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Complete Call the Midwife Stories: True Stories of the East End in the 1950s

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing insight into our recent past, 2 April 2013
I came late to the 'Call the Midwife' party. I only started watching the programme well into the second series and had never heard of the books, but after watching a couple of episodes I fell in love with the nostalgia of it all, so I decided to see what the books were like.

First of all, if you're like me and are reading the books after having seen the TV show, be prepared to discover that the producers have swapped a lot of stories around to give characters like Trixie and Chummy more to do. A lot of the parts have been 'beefed up' in the show (understandably), so be warned not to expect too much character development in the book.

The book itself is a wonderful, meandering memoir of a time not that long ago, but long enough to be utterly alien to anyone born on the last couple of decades (I am not included in this group sadly). The babies Jenny Lee delivers are those of my parents generation, so for me it's an amazing glimpse into my grandparents world. The tenements, the poverty, the community spirit and even the language of the locals is fantastically painted by Jennifer Worth.

The stories she tells are beautifully happy, horribly tragic and hilariously funny. Fans of the show will recognise a lot of them, although many were changed to give happy endings that, sadly, never happened.

I recommend all fans of the TV show to read this. I thought it was wonderful.

Tigi After Party 100ml
Tigi After Party 100ml
Offered by DemonsBeauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it. Really, really love it., 9 Jan 2013
I love this stuff.

It smells lovely, it makes my hair look less fuzzy, and it comes in an incredibly phallic bottle. What's not to love?

Rubies Belle Classic (Small)
Rubies Belle Classic (Small)
Offered by Wish4 - Toys, Games & Fancy Dress

5.0 out of 5 stars The niece likes it!, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: Beauty™ costume for girl (Toy)
The niece (3) thinks this is - and I quote - 'princessy and pretty'. Therefore it gets 5 stars.

On a serious note, it comes up a wee bit small (not an issue for me, the niece is teeny weeny anyway) so something to think about if you 3-4 year old is of the taller persuasion. It seems relatively sturdy though, and survived being worn all through Christmas day with no mishaps. The material is very synthetic, so don't let your kid near a fire (probably good advice in general to be fair).

Overall it impressed the teeny niece, and if she's happy then I am.

BBC Deadly 60 Series 2 Tin Trading Card Game
BBC Deadly 60 Series 2 Tin Trading Card Game

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a tin. It has Deadly 60 on it., 9 Jan 2013
Apparently my rating of 5 stars means I love it.

That's not entirely true. I'm pretty ambivalent about it.

My nephew, however, thinks it's brilliant. Hence the 5 star rating. My nephew is only six though, and he thinks farts are brilliant too, so maybe don't go entirely on his opinion.

Tigi BED HEAD serum spray some like it hot 100 ml
Tigi BED HEAD serum spray some like it hot 100 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 14 Dec 2012
I have tried other BedHead products before, and loved them, so I was looking for something that might help my terminally frizzy hair look just a bit nicer. I straighten my hair a lot to try and kill the frizz, so I wanted a heat protector.

I've tried a lot of heat protection products on my hair, from cheap high street stuff like VO5 and Tresemme, to salon stuff by Redken and Wella. Most work OK, but I'm still left with hair that looks mostly straight but with a nest of frizzy rubbish at the top. At a distance my hair looks alright, but up close it looks almost furry!

I bought this hoping it was as good as the other BedHead products I've tried, and I can honestly say it's definitely a winner. From the start, it comes in a really decent sized bottle (100ml) - a lot of other serums are way smaller. I have shoulder length hair, so I put one squeeze into my hair (about the size of a 5p). It isn't sticky at all, and didn't make my hair feel heavy or greasy once I'd run it through my hair. I then blow dried and straightened my hair, and I immediately noticed that the straighteners went through my hair very smoothly, they didn't feel like they were 'getting stuck' at all (not sure how to describe it, but I'm sure fellow GHD lovers will sort of know what I mean). After straightening my hair felt ridiculously soft, and the frizz - while it didn't totally disappear - certainly looks a lot better.

Overall this stuff is brilliant. You get loads, you only have to use a little bit, it smells lush and it works. Job done.

OVEN MATE
OVEN MATE
Offered by Cyclaire

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but please, PLEASE be careful!, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: OVEN MATE
Before I start, I should tell you I'm a rubbish housekeeper. I have lived in my current flat for 3 years, and using this product was the second time I've cleaned the oven. I also pay no attention to warnings, and when I get the infrequent urge to clean (usually when I know the mother-in-law might be popping over) I never use gloves while bleaching the bathroom, then wonder why my finger nails look like they'll peel off.

So I want to begin with a huge word of warning. This stuff is unbelievably powerful, and as such is unbelievably corrosive. Please heed all the safety warnings, then double them. DO NOT use the gloves that come with this product, I think the manufacturer even tells you to use heavy-duty gloves and face protection. Wear gloves that come up to the elbow, I would even go so far as to say use goggles. I mean it. This stuff melts your skin.

So, anyway, back to being a lazy, slovenly person with no impulse to clean. Ever. I managed to ignore the evil oven right up until the simple act of turning in on set all the fire alarms in the entire block (although it did mean the fire brigade were called out. Bonus). Having no idea of what constitutes a 'good' oven cleaner, I just looked for one that said it didn't require much effort to use, so I settled on Oven Mate.

There are very few instructions on the box on how to use it, but to be fair it's pretty simple. 1) Cover yourself from head to toe in one of those radioactive protection suits. 2) Use the handy brush (comes with the set) to paint the thick gel over every surface of the oven and racks. 3) Nip off to watch telly for a bit. 4) Lightly scrub gel off with a scratch-free scourer. And it works. I mean it really, really works.

I was utterly amazed by just how good this stuff is. My oven is ancient and a bit rubbish, but it looked nearly new after one try with this stuff. If I was one of those people who actually bothers to keep stuff clean I could probably get it looking even better, but my laziness kicked back in once I realised the fire alarm wasn't going to go off any more.

To finish, this product is utterly brilliant. But whatever you do, heed the warnings. Wash your hands thoroughly after you use it, and whatever you do don't absent-mindedly touch your face with your gloves. It hurts. A lot.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2012 1:27 PM GMT

Mini Encyclopedia of the Tropical Aquarium
Mini Encyclopedia of the Tropical Aquarium
by Gina Sandford

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for starters, 28 Nov 2011
This book is perfect for people who, like me, want to find out about keeping tropical fish before committing to buy anything expensive.

I read it cover to cover and even now I'm all set up I still find myself referring to the book to make sure I'm doing things correctly. It is one of the only books that I've looked at that describes the nitrogen cycle properly, and details how to cycle your tank to ensure your fish stay healthy.

The listings for different fish species at the back of the book is an excellent place to start deciding what fish to stock your tank with. Being a small book there is obviously not space to list all the fish you'll see in your local fish shop, but it gives a very good foundation to build on.