Profile for S. Kausar > Reviews

Content by S. Kausar

S. Kausar (Birmingham, UK)

Hidden Messages: What Our Words and Actions Are Really Telling Our Children (Pantley)
by Elizabeth Pantley
Price: 8.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle, creative way to get the message about raising children across, 24 Aug 2006
This might be the hundredth book on parenting I have read, and I was not disappointed.

The book is very concise, which is great because if like me you are working as well as being a parent...

Each story covers a theme such as battling siblings, dealing appropriately with neighbours who have different ways of raising their children, developing independence and life-skills in your children. It is easy to follow because the stories which are oh so familiar are very concise, without taking away anything from the quality of the lesson being passed on. Each story is followed by a paragraph stating the subtle message being given and then the reader is advised what to do about it. The stories cover all ages, from babies to teenagers. As well as everything else, I was impressed by the sheer range of issues and age groups covered.

As it does not take weeks to read (like some parenting books I have come across) you actually remember the lessons taught while you read the book and for some time after finishing it.

My child is too young and so far an only child, so many of the stories don't apply. But that may be an advantage-I get time to re-read it and make sure our family doesn't become one of those featured in the book!