Profile for Samantha Street > Reviews

Content by Samantha Street

Samantha Street "Duffton" (London)

Timbuktu
Timbuktu
by Paul Auster
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story, fresh perspective, 23 Feb 2010
This review is from: Timbuktu (Paperback)
I thought this book was charming, heart rending and fresh. It's a book about love and devotion, innate intelligence and mental ill health. It's a quick read but will be one of the books I always remember (and I have a terrible memory)

Food Adventures: Introducing Your Child to Flavours from Around the World
Food Adventures: Introducing Your Child to Flavours from Around the World
by Elisabeth Luard

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book - be brave with your toddler's taste buds, 24 Jun 2008
There are some great recipes here, sadly my little chap is dairy intolerant so I haven't tried as many as I'd like to but it's a real source of inspiration. I'm amazed that he chows down on garlicky lime-laden chicken and that actually he enjoys such spicy food. At 18 months he pretty much eats anything I put on the plate and I'm sure the fact that I tried some of these international recipes that other babies are brought up on has helped his sophisticated little taste buds (and yes I'm cherishing every day because I know it can't last!) I'ts a beautifully laid out book too.

The Barbecue Bible
The Barbecue Bible
by Steven Raichlen

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have this book, 12 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Barbecue Bible (Paperback)
My boyfriend hates this book as it means we can never have a simple BBQ - I get going the day before marinading and make a total mess of the kitchen. The recipes are fantastic - the courgette salad is amazing, everything is easy to follow and it's attractively laid out. You won't need any other BBQ book but this one (I do have the rubs and marinades book but due to English weather have only tried a quarter of the recipes here, perhaps you need both books if you live somewhere the sun shines for more than a couple of weeks in the year)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2009 8:53 PM GMT

The French Kitchen: A Cookbook
The French Kitchen: A Cookbook
by Joanne Harris
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The first bite is with the eye, 3 Nov 2005
And this cookbook is a visual delight - wonderful photography and a lovely read. The french onion soup recipe is fantastic - I've only made four or five recipies so far but have loved them all. I'll be putting their second book on my Christmas list.

Idioglossia
Idioglossia
by Eleanor Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome first novel, 10 Oct 2005
This review is from: Idioglossia (Paperback)
This book was given to me and I put off reading it for ages as I thought the subject matter sounded depressing. I was wrong. What a wonderful book, beautifully written and very moving.

Dona Flor and her Two Husbands (Five Star Paperback)
Dona Flor and her Two Husbands (Five Star Paperback)
by Jorge Amado
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical book, 13 July 2005
I have read this book three times and have had to buy it three times as I've loaned it and out and never seems to come back. Amado is a delightful writer his characters are full of life and dignity as well - as death and indignity in Dona Flor. My favourite Amado is The Tent of Miracles - track it down.

Zen And The Art Of Falling In Love
Zen And The Art Of Falling In Love
by Charlotte Kasl
Price: 6.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and easy-to-read, 17 Feb 2005
Even if you find some of the philosophy a bit New Age, I would argue that everyone can gain some insights into their past or current relationships from this book. It's an opportunity to undertake an emotional stocktake and make sure you have everything you need for a healthy, realistic relationship with yourself as well as others

The Bronze Horseman
The Bronze Horseman
by Paullina Simons
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear your diary, 27 July 2004
This review is from: The Bronze Horseman (Paperback)
Sent to me as a birthday present with a warning not to neglect my boyfriend. I started reading it and thought - 'not brilliantly written but engaging enough' and then couldn't put it down. On a five hour train journey to Wales I only looked up to change trains - haven't dared to get the next one yet as I've too much to do! Great storytelling and shamelessly romantic.